Wireless Config and Connection using ROM 3.1
The steps originally listed on this Wiki page must be for an earlier ROM version such as 2.38. I had to update to 3.1 to get support for a Linksys WCF12 card plus I wanted all the latest software. Once the card was recognized I could not get it to connect but it turns out it was only due to not knowing what I was supposed to do. I assumed it would just connect whenever the card was inserted but it you have to know where to click to tell it to connect.
- First, set your wireless access point to no encryption (for now)
- Insert the wireless card.
- Open Settings, Network
- Click New, and Add a 'Wireless LAN - TCP/IP' service
- On Account tab, enter a name for the connection
- On the Config tab, check the box for non-specified ESS-ID (SSID)
- On the WEP tab, set key type to Disabled
- On TCP/IP and DNS tabs, choose Obtain Information Automatically
- On Proxy tab, choose No Proxy
- Now click OK button in upper right
- Your new entry should show up in the services list
- Now switch to the Current tab
- WLanService will show as Off Line
- Now comes the part that confused and frustrated me...
- On the bottom of your screen is an icon of a globe with a red X on it
- Click the globe icon and choose your new service name if its not already
- Then click Connect. Voila! It should at least try to connect now.
- Depending on your access point and card compatability you may need to manually configure things such as the SSID, host, subnet, and gateway addresses, etc. I'm not sure if SSID's are case sensitive so enter it the same at both ends.
- Once you are successful connecting without encryption you may wish to configure a WEP key for security. Just go back to the WEP tab and enter a string of alphanumeric digits. WEP encrypts your packets to prevent snooping and pre-shared keys encrypt the authentication to prevent use of your access point without knowing the key beforehand. And don't forget to put the exact same key on both the Zaurus and the Access Point and use same level (64bit or 128bit).
- The following appears to be for older ROMs
Howto connect to the Zaurus wirelessly
- Insert your 802.11b CF card.
- Go to the wireless LAN setting option in the settings tab.
- Open the application and then close it by clicking on the OK in the upper right corner.
- Go to the Network and Sync application in the settings tab.
- Click on the 2nd tab (services) and it the add button on the bottom.
- Click the LAN - TCPIP setting and then click the add button
- Close out the setting by clicking on the OK button in the upper right corner.
- Close the application by clicking on the X in the upper right corner.
These instructions leave out some steps but I don't know which ones because I can't get WiFi working on my 5500. Here's where I'm at:
lsmod reports the prism2_cs driver is loaded. 'ifconfig eth0' reports there is an interface present. the Sharp network setup utility lets me set TCP/IP numbers. kismet finds the access point, 'netstat -r' even finds the default route and /etc/resolv.conf has the right nameserver...all this and still no packets going back and forth...WTF?
To use the SanDisk Connect Plus card (WiFi + 128MByte Flash): 1) download and put these files (packages) on a CF or SD: http://oz.pdai.org/official/unstable/3.5.3/feed/base/hostap-utils_0.3.7-r0_arm.ipk http://oz.pdai.org/official/unstable/3.5.3/feed/base/prism3-firmware_1.8.3-r2_arm.ipk http://oz.pdai.org/official/unstable/3.5.3/feed/base/prism3-support_1.0.0-r0_arm.ipk
2) insert the CF/SD to your Zaurus and run: $ipkg install <package name> where the package name is the location of the file. for example if the file is in the root of the CF then run: $ipkg install /media/cf/hostap-utils_0.3.7-r0_arm.ipk and so on for all three packages
Tested on a SL-5500G with ROM 3.10.
For details refer to [Updating the Zaurus to accept new CF cards]
- to enable WLAN
please add here if you have success -- hns
A link with instructions on this topic: http://www.bentzon.net/acb/sandisk.html