Browsing the Zaurus Filesystem
This howto has been contributed by Gerald J. Normandin Jr. Portions have been found at: http://notebook.zaurii.net/zaurus/ftp1.htm
The Sharp SL-5500 3.x ROMs, other derived ROMs and later Zaurus models come with Samba builtin. This allows you to browse your Zaurus as if it is a removable drive in Windows. To browse your Zaurus in this way:
- Put your Zaurus in its cradle
- Open the PC Link application on your Zaurus and change the 'Connection' setting to 'USB - TCP/IP'
- On your PC, double click the Zaurus Manager icon in the taskbar tray area next to the clock and change the connection setting in that to 'USB- TCP/IP' also.
- Then click the Start button and select 'Run'
- In the 'Run' box type \\192.168.129.201\home (If you use a different IP address for your Zaurus make sure you use the correct one here)
- If Windows gives you an error at this point, then you probably need to make sure your PC workgroup and Zaurus workgroup match:
- In Windows open the Control Panel and then open the System settings. Somewhere in these settings (it differs from version to version) there will be a workgroup setting. Change this to whatever you want or note what it is currently.
- On your Zaurus, switch to the 'root' user and edit the file /usr/lib/samba/smb.conf. In this file, change the 'workgroup' value so that it matches your PC and then try step 5 again.
- A window should then appear that gives you full access to /home/root/Documents and any flash cards
You can create a shortcut to this by creating a Windows shortcut in the usual way and use \\192.168.129.201\home as the path for the shortcut.
To gain access to the entirety of your Zaurus' filesystem you must run the following commands on your Zaurus using the terminal program:
su (If this asks for a password, it is the same as the passcode set in the Security application) ln -s / /home/samba/.root
A folder named '.root' will then appear in the Zaurus window and when you go in to it, it will take you to the root (/) of your Zaurus' filesystem.
See also [Samba over non-USB] for using this over connections other than the cradle USB connection.
The older Sharp 1.x SL-5000D and 2.x SL-55000 ROMs along with !OpenZaurus come with a FTP server builtin. To browse your Zaurus using this, connect your Zaurus to your PC and in a web browser enter the following URLs:
- To access /home/root/ - ftp://firstname.lastname@example.org:4242/
- To access / - ftp://email@example.com:4242/../../
- To access the CF card - ftp://firstname.lastname@example.org:4242/../../mnt/cf
- To access the SD card - ftp://email@example.com:4242/../../mnt/card
Again, if you use a different IP address for your Zaurus then replace the IP address from the URLs above with what you use.
If you have a newer Sharp ROM or Zaurus model that does not have FTP builtin (i.e. the URLs above do not work) then you must install an ftp server. One may be found at the Zaurus Software Index.
Secondly, you can map a network drive in windows:
- Open up the My network Places.
- Click Add Network Place
- Enter the Ip of the zaurus in this box that comes up.
- After clicking next, enter the name of the connection you would like.
Once this has been completed, you should be able to see all your Z's files in Internet Explorer!