Serial sync with Qtopia Desktop
m (wiki links)
(One intermediate revision not shown.)
Submitted by corky on 09.26.03 Updated by corky on 10.01.03 for Sharp rom 3.13
I got a serial cable and here is what I had to do to get it to work the way I wanted it to (almost). After many hours of searching through threads. I have tested this on win2k, XP and nt4(sp6). I have a sl5500 with 3.10 ROM.
1. SYNC with Qt Desktop (win2k and nt4(sp6)) I don't use Intellisync and did not try it.
- This just works but make sure you select serial from the install menu in windows and change the sync option on the Z.
- If you already have USB sync installed on your PC you have to reinstall with the serial option.
- MAKE SURE YOU RUN C:\Program Files\Sharp Zaurus 2\drivers\SLZ1Uninstall.exe FIRST.
- See Air Cable Serial Setup for a another (Better) way to Sync.
NOTE: sync will not work if you are running PPP and PPP will hang if you try to start it with the sync option on the Z set to serial.
2. PPP (need this for VNC and Samba)
On the Z:
- First I had to fix /etc/sync/serialctl (this I found in several posts)
- Change "$IPS" to "$IP:" on the 'pppd connect' line (see below).
exec /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS0 connect '/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/ppp/scripts/winclient.chat' $IP: -detach
- Then copy /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0 to /etc/ppp/options
- Next from the Terminal run:
su -c "init 3"
- On Windows: I Used The !DevHowTos. The only changes are:
- a. Because of the problem in serialctl you have to specify an ip adderss I used 192.168.130.102
- b. In win2k and XP I had to turn on file and print sharing (to get Samba to run)
NOTES: Win NT4 does not disconnect properly from the Z run /etc/ppp/ppp-off on the Z to disconnect also
If you turn off the Z on win 2k and XP before you disconnect run ppp-off
Now VNC should work? IP address of the Z is 192.168.130.101
3. Samba Samba only starts when the Z is in the cradle to change this
- 1) Rename /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba to /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba.bak
- 2) Add the following lines to the end of /etc/inetd.conf
netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/smbd netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/nmbd
In /usr/lib/samba/smb.conf comment out the line "Interfaces = " in the [[global] Section. Also the line "bind interfaces only = yes" if it is there.
# interfaces = # bind interfaces only = yes
This will start samba for all devices.