The Sharp ROM is installed by default on all new Zaurus. It is a Linux distribution with user interface based on Trolltech's Qtopia. As it is default most users will have experience with this ROM, if only for a short time.
This does not include the built in maintenance menus which are in fact part of the system Firmware stored on ROM.
Please help populate this list:
- SL-6000 : Kernel 2.4.18
- SL-C1000 : Sharp ROM JP1.01
- Linux 2.4 kernel
- Qtopia 1.5 environment
- Software includes: Opera/Netfront web browser depending on model, To Do, E-mail, Calendar, City Time, Calculator, HancomWord, HancomSheet, Text Editor, Address Book, Image Viewer, Media Player, Voice Recorder, HancomPresenter
- Java, used to be included on earlier Zaurus but not anymore.
- QT/embedded ("QTE") is a cut down version of QT3 for PDAs.
- Qtopia is a set of additional classes and functions specifically aimed at PDAs.
- Qtopia Palmtop Environment ("QPE") is the window manager running on QT/e and making use of Qtopia.
Many people refer to "Qtopia" to describe the Sharp ROM window manager, e.g. "here is a screenshot of Qtopia". To be pedantic, although the system is collectively known as Qtopia, they should say QPE as that is the bit they are seeing. QPE runs on top of the QT Framebuffer, this is why X11 applications cannot be directly ported to the Sharp ROM.
Trolltech's Qtopia Desktop software was initially useful for Syncing with Sharp ROM Zaurus's but after Sharp moved to DTM as the database format, Qtopia Desktop was no longer compatible.