Improving the wiki
- Special:Version reports that you're using a truly ancient version of MediaWiki. It's fast and painless to update.
- Back everything up (the database and files)
- delete the maintainance directory.
- Uncompress the latest version, overwriting the existing files.
- Edit AdminSettings.php (see AdminSettings.sample for info) to add the database info.
- cd maintainance;php update.php
- enable $wgSpamRegex
- Mine bans all div tags: $wgSpamRegex="/<div/i";
- You might like: $wgSpamRegex="/overflow\s*:\s*auto/i";
- Install Bad Behavior my notes .. it's VERY easy to install.
- Install http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SpamBlacklist_extension .. it's a bit annoying but it's worth it.
At this point you could probably safely allow anonymous editing again.
- Benefits of updating
- Security security security!
- Speed improvements:
- Better recent changes (like not displaying your own edits)
- Email features -- get notified of changes via email.
- and lots more..