Setting up the serial connection on Windows 2000:
Directions for using a serial cable for synchronization. Please logon as an Administrator.
1. Open the Control Panel.
2. Double-click the "Phone and Modem Options" icon.
3. If you are configuring for the first time, a "Location Information" pop-up box will appear. Enter any number for the area code (It is not used for Zaurus).
Note that "Phone and Modem Options" may appear instead of "Location Information", if a modem has already been installed on the PC. Then click [[Add...] in the Modems tab.
4. Check the "Don't detect my modem; I will select it from a list" option, then click [[Next]
5. Select "Standard Modem types" in the manufacturers group and select "Communications cable between two computers" in the models group and then click [[Next].
6. Select the COM port that you Zaurus is connected to, and then click [[Next].
7. After successfully completing the installation of a new modem click [[Finish].
8. Select the installed "Communications cable between two computers" from the list, and then click [[Properties].
9. Select the proper connection speed (in this case 115200). Click [[OK] and [[OK].
10. Open the "Network and Dial-up Connections" in the Control Panel.
11. The following dialog box will appear, then click [[Next].
Note: If the dialog box does not appear, double-click the "Make New Connection" icon.
12. Select "Connect directly to another computer", then click [[Next].
13. Select "Guest", and click [[Next].
14. Select "Communications cable between two computers (COM#)", and click [[Next].
15. Select "For all users" and click [[Next].
16. Enter "PDA PPP" as a connection name and click [[Finish].
17. Then a Connection dialog box will appear, then click [[Properties].
18. Click [[Configure...] in the General tab.
19. Make sure that the Maximum speed is 115200, and Un-check "Enable hardware flow control" in the Hardware features group. Then click [[OK].
20. Un-check "Prompt for name and password, certificate, etc." in the Options tab.
21. In the "Networking" tab, un-check "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and "Client for Microsoft Networks" options. Only select the "TCP/IP" option. then click [[Properties].
22. Click [[Advanced...].
23. Un-check "Use default gateway on remote network" in the General tab. Then click [[OK] and [[OK].
24. PDA PPP will automatically be connected.