Setting up the serial connection on Windows 98/98SE
Directions for using a serial cable for synchronization.
Note: Download "mdmcisc2.inf" which is the serial driver for the Zaurus and copy it to your hard drive.
e.g. Create a new folder ?Serial-Driver? on your C drive, and copy "mdmcisc2.inf" into C://Serial-Driver.
1. Open the Control Panel (Start->Select Settings->Control Panel)
2. Double-click the "Modems" icon, and an "Install New Modem" Wizard will appear.
- Choose "Other" and click [[Next] to continue.
Note that "Modem Properties" may appear instead of the "Install new modem" wizard, if the PC already has a modem installed. Then click [[Add...] to continue.
3. Check the "Don't detect my modem; I will select it from a list" option, then click [[Next]
4. Select "Standard Modem types" in the manufactures group and click [[Have Disk...].
5. Click [[Browse...] and specify the folder that you saved the file "mdmcisc2.inf" file to.
- e.g. Browse the created folder C
- //Serial-Driver and click [[OK].
- Then click [[OK].
6. Select "RAS Serial Cable between 2 PCs", and then click [[Next].
7. Select the "Communications Port (COM1)" that your Zaurus will be connected to, then click [[Next].
8. After successfully installing the new modem, click [[Finish].
9. The Modems Properties dialog box will automatically appear. If it does not appear, open "Modem" from the Control Panel.
10. Select the installed "RAS Serial Cable between 2 PCs" from the list, and then click [[Properties].
11. Confirm the COM port that your Zaurus will be connected to and also select the proper connection speed (in this case 115200).
12. Click [[OK] and [[Close].
13. Open the "Dial-Up Networking" icon in My Computer.
14. The following dialog box will appear, then click [[Next].
Note: If the dialog box does not appear, double-click the "Make New Connection" icon.
15. Enter the name "PDA PPP" and also select "RAS Serial Cable between 2 PCs" from Select a device list. Click [[Next].
16. Enter any number for the phone number (It is not used) and click [[Next].
17. Click [[Finish].
18. Select the "PDA PPP" icon in the Dial-Up Networking folder, then right-click on it and select "Properties".
19. In the "General" tab, un-check "Use area code and Dialing Properties".
20. In the "Server Types" tab, un-check "NetBEUI" and "IPX/SPX Compatible" options.
- Make sure that only the ?TCP/IP? option is checked
21. Un-check "Use default gateway on remote network" and then click [[OK] and [[OK]