WinME Over (Serial)
!Setting up the serial connection on Windows ME:
Directions for using a serial cable for synchronization.
Note: Download "mdmcisc2.inf" which is the serial driver for the Zaurus and copy it to your hard drive.
e.g. Create a new folder "Serial-Driver" on your C drive, and copy "mdmcisc2.inf" into C://Serial-Driver.
1. Open the Control Panel (Start->Select Settings->Control Panel)
2. Click the "View all Control Panel options" on the left side.
3. Then Click "Modems".
4. Click [[Add...] to install a new modem.
5. Check the "Don't detect my modem; I will select it from a list" option, then click [[Next]
6. Select "Standard Modem types" in the manufacturers group and click [[Have Disk...].
7. Click [[Browse...] and specify the folder where you placed the "mdmcisc2.inf" file.
- e.g. Browse the created folder C
- //Serial-Driver and click [[OK].
- Then click [[OK].
8. Select "RAS Serial Cable between 2 PCs", and then click [[Next].
9. Select the "Communications Port (COM#)" that you Zaurus will be connected to, then click [[Next].
10. Then Location Information box may appear. If so, you must enter your area code.
11. After successfully installing the new modem, click [[Finish].
12. Open the Control Panel again. Then click "Dial-Up Networking" on the right side.
13. Then Welcome to Dial-Up Networking dialog box will appear. Click [[Next] to continue.
- If the dialog box does not appear, double-click the "Make New Connection" icon.
14. Enter "PDA PPP" and also select "RAS Serial Cable between 2 PCs" from the Select a device list. Click [[Configure...].
15. Confirm the COM port that you Zaurus will be connected to and also select the proper connection speed (in this case 115200). Then click [[OK].
16. Enter any phone number (It is not used) and click [[Next].
17. Click [[Finish].
18. Select the "PDA PPP" icon in the Dial-Up Networking folder, then right-click on it and select "Properties".
19. In the "General" tab, un-check "Use area code and Dialing Properties".
20. In the "Server Types" tab, un-check the "NetBEUI" and the "IPX/SPX Compatible" options.
- Only check the "TCP/IP" option.
21. Un-check the "Use default gateway on remote network" and then click [[OK] and [[OK]
This page was last updated: May 21 2003 06:34:10.