Setting up the serial connection on Windows NT4.0 with Service Pack 6:
(Also works with SP5, though Sharp doesn't support this)
Directions for using a serial cable for synchronization.
Please logon as an Administrator
1. Open the Control Panel (Start->Select Settings->Control Panel)
2. Select Modems and click, an Install New Modem Wizard will appear.
3. Check the "Don't detect my modem; I will select from a list" option, then click [[Next]
4. Select "Standard Modem types" in the manufacturers group and select "Dial-Up Networking serial Cable Between 2PCs" in the models group. Then click [[Next].
5. Select the COM port that your ZAURUS will be connected to, then click [[Next].
6. The Location Information dialog box may appear. If it appears, click [[Next]. (It isn't used)
Note: if it does not appear, please proceed as is. Also you may enter an area code (It isn't used) to continue.
7. After successfully installing the new modem, click [[Finish].
8. The Modems Properties dialog box will automatically appear.
9. Click the "Properties" button in the General tab.
10. Choose the proper connection speed (in this case 115200), and then click [[OK].
11. Click [[Close].
12. Open the "Dial-Up Networking" icon in My Computer.
13. Then the following dialog box will appear, please set the Windows NT setup disk to your CD-ROM drive.
- And click [[Install] to proceed.
14. After the installation, the Add RAS Device dialog box will appear.
15. Click the [[OK] button, then click the [[Network] button on the Remote Access Setup dialog.
16. Under the Dial out Protocols section, only select "TCP/IP", and then click [[OK].
17. Click the [[Continue] button, then it will proceed with the network installation. After that, you must restart your PC. Click [[Restart], During the re-boot process you should eject the setup disk from the CD-ROM drive.
19. After the reboot, initiate "Dial-Up Networking" in "My Computer".
20. Then the following dialog box may appear. If so, click [[OK]. If you already have a dial-up setting, then click the [[New...] button on the Dial-Up Networking dialog box.
20. Then New Phonebook Entry Wizard will appear. Enter "PDA PPP" and then click next.
21. Do not check any of the option on the server page, and Click the [[Next] button.
22. Enter any number as a phone number (it is not used) then click [[Next].
23. Click the [[Finish] button.
24. Then "Dial-Up Networking" dialog box will appear. If it does not appear, please open it from My Computer.
25. Click the [[More] button and select "Edit entry and modem properties..."
26. The Edit Phonebook Entry dialog box will appear, then click the "Configure..." button.
27. Choose the proper connection speed (in this case 115200) for the initial speed, and then click [[OK].
28. Only select the "TCP/IP" option in the Network Protocols section.
29. Uncheck the "Use default gateway on remote network" option and click [[OK].
30. Click [[OK], then [[Close] to complete this set-up.
Now install the synchronization software.