WinXP Over (Serial)
Setting up the serial connection on Windows XP:
Directions for using a serial cable for synchronization. Please logon as an Administrator.
1. Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
2. Click "Printers and Other Hardware"
3. Click the "Phone and Modem Options" icon.
4. Select the "Modems" tab. If your PC doesn't have a modem, a New Location wizard will appear. Please enter your area code (It is not used for Zaurus).
5. Click [[Add...].
6. Check the "Don't detect my modem; I will select it from a list" option, then click [[Next].
7. Select "Standard Modem types" in the manufacturers group and select "Communications cable between two computers" in the models group and then click [[Next].
8. Select the COM port that you Zaurus is connected to, and then click [[Next].
9. After successfully completing the new modem installation, click [[Finish].
10. Select the installed "Communications cable between two computers" from the list, and then click [[Properties].
11. Select the "Modem" tab.
12. Select the proper connection speed (in this case 115200). Click [[OK]
13. Click [[OK] to close the "Phone and Modem Options" dialog box.
14. Click "Network and Internet Connections" in the Control Panel.
15. Click "Network Connections"
16. Then click "Create a new connection".
17. The following dialog box will appear, click [[Next].
18. Select the "Set up an advanced connection" from the list below, then click [[Next].
19. Select "Connect directly to another computer", then click [[Next].
19. Select "Guest", and click [[Next].
20. Enter "PDA PPP" as a connection name and click [[Next].
21. Select "Communications cable between two computers (COM#)", and click [[Next].
22. Click [[Finish] to continue.
23. Then a Connection dialog box will automatically appear, click [[Properties].
24. Click [[Configure...] in the General tab.
25. Make sure that the Maximum speed is 115200, and Un-check "Enable hardware flow control" in the Hardware features group. Click [[OK].
26. Un-check "Prompt for name and password, certificate, etc." in the Options tab.
27. In the "Networking" tab, un-check the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and the "Client for Microsoft Networks" options. Make sure that "TCP/IP" is checked and select it, then click [[Properties].
28. Click [[Advanced...].
29. Un-check "Use default gateway on remote network" in the General tab. Then click [[OK].