Author Topic: Compiling For Zubuntu  (Read 3799 times)

walkman

• View Profile
Compiling For Zubuntu
« on: March 06, 2009, 04:58:54 am »
Hello,
first of all, thanks a lot for the great Zubuntu distro. What I need just works™ ;-).

This is the first time I am trying to compile something on my Zaurus, which I actually acquired some time ago mainly in order to port my own software to ARM based platform and to play with it. I have a rather small project written in C++ heavily using Boost libraries and packaged with autotools chain. No problem under Zubuntu, configure worked perfectly, even a devel distro build (after I downloaded and compiled libtool2 which went as a breeze - well, pure C). Now the poor gadget is fighting with my code already since 3 hours and still it did not finish crunching the first(!) cpp file. When I check it with g++ -E ..., I can see that the piece after expanding all the macros has 60k+ lines in C++. Well, there are bigger still to come...

What can I do to speed up the compilation process? How do you guys compile large C++ codebases?  Overclocking doesn't seem to be an option, so with this speed of progress, if I am lucky, I will probably wait about a week until my smallish program (it has about 5k physical source lines of code) compiles and links.

Is there perhaps some quick and dirty manual for cross-compiling for ARM (in particular Zubuntu 1.0)?

Thanks for any advice,

Peter.
Sharp SL-C1000 Akita + D-Link 660W

cortez

• View Profile
    • http://www.omegamoon.com
Compiling For Zubuntu
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 07:05:39 am »
Always make sure you have a swap partition. You could also try to use distcc, but I prefer using Qemu for doing "native" compilation. For cross compilation use Poky or OpenEmbedded. A manual can be found here

Cheers,
cortez
[div align=\"center\"]== == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
www.omegamoon.com
Zaurus SL-C750 - Died in a dreadful coffee experiment, has a second life somewhere in the Czech Republic
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Multiboot Zubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Poky, Android and others
Zaurus SL-C3100 - Development device, currently Zubuntu 2.0
Zaurus SL-6000L - The fridge is running Zubuntu 1.0
Zaurus SL-C860 - Cacko, untouched since kindly donated, waiting for Zubuntu
== == == == == == == == == == == == == ==[/div]

walkman

• View Profile
Compiling For Zubuntu
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 04:26:17 am »
Quote from: cortez
Always make sure you have a swap partition. You could also try to use distcc, but I prefer using Qemu for doing "native" compilation.

Thanks a lot. The Qemu option is seems promising.

And thanks for Zubuntu, cortez. This is definitely one of the best pieces I could play with in the last years. Any news from the Ubuntu people?

tanjian2

• View Profile
Compiling For Zubuntu
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 06:43:58 am »
Quote from: walkman
Always make sure you have a swap partition. You could also try to use distcc, but I prefer using Qemu for doing "native" compilation.

And thanks for Zubuntu, cortez. This is definitely one of the best pieces I could play with in the last years. Any news from the Ubuntu people?
Compilation works albeit slowly on the Zaurus. I have compiled emacs (latest cvs version) - not what I would call a trivial application - in about 2-3 hours from scratch. As Cortez says make sure you have a swap partition or even just a swapfile. Overclocking is currently not compiled into the version of the kernel - but heres hoping someone gets it working again.
SL-C3000(Spitz) - pdaXii13 5.5alpha + sound enhanced kernel - MD in 1 great big partition -  Ambicom CF Wifi + USB Ethernet  and NOW Zubuntu on a 4Gb SD

cortez

• View Profile
    • http://www.omegamoon.com
Compiling For Zubuntu
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 04:47:52 pm »

Glad you like it. The 2.6.28 kernel is getting along pretty well. If only I could figure out why the device won't suspend when pressing the on/off button. I'm sooooo close to a solution, but it takes hours and hours of debugging. I still have to test a lot of stuff, like brightness control, sound, ext4 and overclocking, which is compiled in this time  
[div align=\"center\"]== == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
www.omegamoon.com
Zaurus SL-C750 - Died in a dreadful coffee experiment, has a second life somewhere in the Czech Republic
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Multiboot Zubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Poky, Android and others
Zaurus SL-C3100 - Development device, currently Zubuntu 2.0
Zaurus SL-6000L - The fridge is running Zubuntu 1.0
Zaurus SL-C860 - Cacko, untouched since kindly donated, waiting for Zubuntu
== == == == == == == == == == == == == ==[/div]

walkman

• View Profile
Compiling For Zubuntu
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 05:10:00 am »
Quote from: tanjian2
Compilation works albeit slowly on the Zaurus. I have compiled emacs (latest cvs version) - not what I would call a trivial application - in about 2-3 hours from scratch. As Cortez says make sure you have a swap partition or even just a swapfile. Overclocking is currently not compiled into the version of the kernel - but heres hoping someone gets it working again.

Thanks for advice. Well, I have to check how did I install the Zaurus when I come home ;-). Sorry for a dumb question: in the case there's no swap partition, how can I install a swap file?

tanjian2

• View Profile
Compiling For Zubuntu
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 09:54:46 am »
Quote from: tanjian2

Thanks for advice. Well, I have to check how did I install the Zaurus when I come home ;-). Sorry for a dumb question: in the case there's no swap partition, how can I install a swap file?

Google for Linux swapfile or let me do it for you swapfile  
SL-C3000(Spitz) - pdaXii13 5.5alpha + sound enhanced kernel - MD in 1 great big partition -  Ambicom CF Wifi + USB Ethernet  and NOW Zubuntu on a 4Gb SD