Author Topic: GPD Pocket Reviews  (Read 14509 times)

TheWalt

• View Profile
GPD Pocket Reviews
« on: June 20, 2017, 08:21:15 am »
Ok quick opening post for the GPD Pocket reviews.

I got mine yesterday and am very impressed with build quality.  Went with the windows version, I hear the linux models are delayed due to kernel support.  Havne't had any power or fan issues as some reported.

Only had time to run windows updates but plan on doing more this week and can post results / answer questions here.  

Anyone else who gets theirs feel free to reply in this thread with thoughts as well.
- Gemini PDA | WiFi - Android 7.1.1
- GPD Pocket | Ubuntu Mate 18.10
- Zaurus SL-C3100 | ArchLinuxARM

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
GPD Pocket Reviews
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 08:28:46 am »
Congrats on your new arrival.

I'm curious about the keyboard usability: how comfortable is it to use it, and how fast can you type on it compared to a Zaurus? Is there any missing key in the layout?

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
GPD Pocket Reviews
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 02:48:13 pm »
Got mine too......

So far, great!

Keyboard is pretty good so far, but like all mini laptops, you need to get used to it.

It''s probably one of the best one I've used.
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
GPD Pocket Reviews
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 03:49:01 am »
Great, looking forward for reviews and impressions, I hope that Linux support won't take too long to be released.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
GPD Pocket Reviews
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 08:10:01 am »
If you can't wait to get official Linux support, here's a page with a list of scripts and tweaks for Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint on the Pocket:

https://github.com/stockmind/gpd-pocket-ubuntu-respin

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

njefferies

• View Profile
GPD Pocket Reviews
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 05:36:43 am »
Having now gone to the effort on tuning the Windows install with with ThrottleStop, NTLite and Spybot-anti-beacon I am loathe to blow it away to try Ubuntu (would rather have openSuse anyway but Kubuntu is servicable). Am seriously considering getting another one for that! With LibreOffice, RawTherapee, Firefox and NextCloud client running on Windows I have no immediate incentive to switch to Linux...although running some server stuff on the Pocket would be neat if a good hack for more internal storage were to materialise.

Everything seems to be working well and with ThrottleStop setting the package power limit to 2W (with a burst to 5W) rather than the 5W and 15W that it shipped with then I can get 8-10 hours battery life with normal desktop usage (mail, editing office docs, bit of browsing, NextCloud syncing in background). However, 2W is not enough for full HD YouTube playback (3W is fine) - but I can't actually really see the difference between 1080P and 720P on the display at any reasonable viewing distance so I'm not overly bothered.
Current: HP Omnibook 300, Dell XPS 13 Dev Edition, Samsung Tab S 8.4, GPD Pocket
Past: Compaq Concerto, Palm III, TRG Pro, Handera 330, Omnibook 600, AST Ascentia J30, Omnibook 800CT, Palm Tungsten T, Lifebook B2154, Zaurus SL-C1000, Lifebook U810

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
GPD Pocket Reviews
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 10:40:04 am »
You mentioned that you are using an image processing program (RawTherapee)... I'm just curious to know: how feasible is image editing on the Pocket's small 7" screen? Can it be used just for basic retouches, or it is useful for more complex editing?

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

njefferies

• View Profile
GPD Pocket Reviews
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 04:46:03 am »
I use it for raw processing and overall image corrections so no retouching. To be honest I haven't found trackpoints or capacitative touchscreens really precise enough but a bluetooth mouse works fine. Screen size isn't a problem - after the U810 and Zaurus it's pretty large - mouse wheel zoom makes it pretty quick to get precision when you need it.
Current: HP Omnibook 300, Dell XPS 13 Dev Edition, Samsung Tab S 8.4, GPD Pocket
Past: Compaq Concerto, Palm III, TRG Pro, Handera 330, Omnibook 600, AST Ascentia J30, Omnibook 800CT, Palm Tungsten T, Lifebook B2154, Zaurus SL-C1000, Lifebook U810

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
GPD Pocket Reviews
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 09:18:26 am »
https://techtablets.com/2017/08/first-impre...dows-10-laptop/

"build quality both inside and out is very good. A massive step up from the plasticky GPD Win I looked at that, in the end, that was sent back to China due to keyboard issues

First impressions:

The Windows 10 key is printed inside the box, maybe for Ubuntu builds so later people can install Windows 10 if they want?
The build is really good, huge improvement from the GPD Win
The RAM is clocked to only 1066Mhz and cannot be increased to the maximum supported 1600Mhz as the bios is locked out and only with basic options.
RAM is in dual channel at least so that’s something positive
The wireless chipset is a Broadcom AC one, the Wifi range seems very poor due to the metal build and antenna location. This is looking like the biggest complaint so far.
No MicroSD card slot or Webcam, I feel GPD should have added them or at least a 720p front webcam
The keyboard is going to take some time to get used to, so far I struggle to write a sentence without major typos. The spacebar key is the hardest to get adjusted to.
There is a tiny copper heat pipe, fins and cooling fan in the Z8750. So far no thermal throttling. But I will have to try some games on it and see if it will heat up enough to throttle or the fan does the job.
Fan noise is barely noticeable.
The internals and layout look very decent.
The screen and keyboard have no flex, it’s rigid and strong. Including the screen hinge.
So far I’m impressed with the build quality, but my biggest concern is wireless range and performance. I’ll be testing this soon and to see if it will throttle at all which the GPD Win did, eventually.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
GPD Pocket Reviews
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 09:21:41 am »
it should be possible to dual boot with linux. there's lots of guides so I won't go into details, but briefly:

* use windows disk manager to shrink Windows disk usage
* strongly suggest install easyUEFI http://www.easyuefi.com/
* also suggest installing rEFInd http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html
* install ubuntu from an installer with a recent kernel, e.g. this: https://plus.google.com/communities/117853703024346186936
** find the ISO for installing at https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/...cXNrbzN6djQzajg
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:22:41 am by speculatrix »
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
GPD Pocket Reviews
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 09:01:28 am »
Quote from: speculatrix
First impressions:
(...)
Thanks for the link. AFAIR Windows 10's licence is free for these kind of small devices, so it is an added bonus for the Ubuntu versions, as you mentioned. Pity about the Wifi problem, I guess the only solution would be to disable the internal module and use an external USB one.

Performance wise, I believe it should be roughly on a par with the Win, isn't it?

P.s. time to update your signature I guess

Varti
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:47:19 am by Varti »
and many other Zauruses!

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
GPD Pocket Reviews
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 10:43:17 am »
No problem with WiFi on my Pocket....

All is good....

Build quality is very good on the WIN, but not metal casing like Pocket.

Performance of Pocket is about the same as WIN.
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
GPD Pocket Reviews
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 08:37:16 am »
Quote from: Varti
AFAIR Windows 10's licence is free for these kind of small devices

I think the free MS licences are limited to devices crippled with only 2GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and possibly the number of cores. In the original netbook days, I think they limited the screen resolution to 1366x768 too.

This might explain why there can be a big jump in price between the low spec and high spec devices - if the manufacturer is honest and only installs the free licence on low spec devices that is. I suspect the less honest ones get round it by installing and activating with only 2GB enabled, then "upgrade".

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
GPD Pocket Reviews
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 10:44:09 am »
Simone Margaritelli, another Zaurus fan, has written his (positive) impressions on the Pocket running Linux, with some hints on how to install the OS and use devices like USB antennas, the Ubertooth One (an open source 2.4 GHz wireless development platform for Bluetooth experimentation) and various SDR interfaces (radio systems implemented in software instead of hardware).

https://www.evilsocket.net/2017/08/15/gpd-p...ffensive-setup/

Varti
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:44:33 am by Varti »
and many other Zauruses!

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
GPD Pocket Reviews
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 12:40:11 pm »
that's a great find. I hope Simone is on this forum!