Author Topic: Partition Question  (Read 2733 times)

Robsno5

• View Profile
Partition Question
« on: October 05, 2023, 09:29:02 am »
Background. I have 3 Planet machines an Astro and a Cosmo both working properly. The Cosmo had a new battery earlier this year and was set up as dual boot when i bought it but I repartitioned to use all the space as android using the recovery menu and re installed it at V23 firmware. All works perfectly and now I sync data and apps between the Astro and the Cosmo so my Cosmo is my semi warm backup device. This spends most of its life powered down and is just powered up,every few weeks to sync its data and apps.
I have a second Cosmo and this is the problem child. It had a hard life and is well used although the battery is ok ,the CODI screen is broken and does not work (don't care as i have it disabled when I play with it) Anyway this was also was set up for dual boot and i decided to reconfigure it using the partition option on the recovery menu and re install the firmware to v23 as that worked when i did it on my other Cosmo. Well this time something when wrong and I got an error partitioning , it formats with no errors on the factory reset but I then get a cant read the partition list when I try to update. Any ideas if this is correctable  or is the Cosmo just spare parts?  I get the recovery menu so bootstrap is ok.

I should add I paid less for it than getting planet to replace the battery so not worth sending to Planet
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 09:32:58 am by Robsno5 »

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
Re: Partition Question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 01:21:23 pm »
It saying it can't write to the error log file is interesting - I imagine that would be on the SD card. Could the SD card be at fault?

If that's not it, I'd try reflashing the whole device with SP Flash Tool according to the wiki.

Robsno5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 04:55:32 pm »
I reformatted the SD and tried a different SD - same errors.good thought though

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 06:00:26 pm »
Do not reflash with SP Flash Tool.

This isn't necessary.

The issue is that the `list_installers.sh` is malformed. Or doesn't exist.

What is the contents of `list_installers.sh` on the SD card?

Robsno5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 11:50:25 am »
I pulled down a fresh copy of v23 and put the cosmo-custom-installer folder on 2 SD cards, the 250gb one I use in my Astro and a freshly formatted 125gb one. Same error with both as per initial attachments.

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 12:11:33 pm »
OK, so for example, this is what my development Cosmo 'looks like' on the SD card - where 'SDCARD' is the 'root' of the card.

'cosmo-custom-installer' should be 'cosmo-customos-installer'. If the `list_installers.sh` isn't able to be executed, then it won't run. It should also be formatted as FAT32.

I've attached a photo of my shell to this post. By the way, ignore the '_auto_lvm', and other things you might not have - this SD card is for experimentation.

Robsno5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2023, 09:49:05 am »
Sadly no progress. 2 different SD cards used formatted using windows vista, windows 7 and the arm  version of windows 11 using FAT EXT and formatted using Cosmo and Astro none of which give errors, with contents extracted from the Planet v23 zip file. Correct directory name and file contents but still same error messages with each test. Thank you for your time Dom, but it sounds like a lost cause

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2023, 11:39:06 am »
What do you mean by "FAT EXT"? You should be using FAT32, otherwise, Recovery can't mount the SD card.

Reflashing isn't necessary.

And what is the 'Planet v23 ZIP file'? Can you post the contents of `list_installers.sh`, please?

Robsno5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 11:12:51 am »
Just tried another SD card this time from my car camera which windows says is Fat32 and put the contents of planets install zip for v23and no joy, same error. Screen shot and install script used are attached Standard planet one. Given I get an error on the partition option in the recovery menu I am leaning towards the Cosmo partition data being corrupted
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 11:15:43 am by Robsno5 »

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2023, 12:08:04 pm »
The partition isn't corrupted, it [recovery] just doesn't handle malformed script output particularly well. And doesn't provide user-friendly messages.

You could try reflashing with SP Flash, but there runs the risk of corrupting NVRAM.

Personally, I think next steps would be to try and flash the v23 images via the bootloader with fastboot. I can send a script to do that if you want. It's safer than using SP Flash.

In the meantime, definitely report the bug on the `planet-devices` tracker (GitHub), and let Planet know. It's likely the script is failing, but it's hard to tell with the screenshots.

Thanks.

Robsno5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2023, 05:15:29 pm »
Sounds like you have a way forward. Yes please if I can have a script and clarity on how to use it correctly. Thank you

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2023, 04:48:10 pm »

Sounds like you have a way forward. Yes please if I can have a script and clarity on how to use it correctly. Thank you

Hey @Robsno5!

Sorry, I completely forgot about you. It's nothing personal, I just have a lot of fingers in pies, and forget to reply to people.

In terms of flashing v23, I've created this archive just for you: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14iIv30USe8NW8BI0xZQE9_gs6lOhKAWn/view?usp=sharing

You'll need to enter 'fastboot'. Once in Fastboot, connect a USB cable to the *left* side of the Cosmo, and run the script (as root) in the archive. Make sure no other Android devices are connected.

The script should do it for you. If there are any errors, report them here for me in a code block. Then if it all flashes okay, run `fastboot reboot`, and you should be in V23, factory reset, and clean Android.

Hope that helps.