Author Topic: Poor battery life  (Read 24805 times)

AP756

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2019, 11:55:38 am »
NormMonkey, won't help you much: As you I didn't find a way to enter recovery just using keys. But if your Cosmo is rooted (like mine) it's easy to enter recovery. Start Magisk, open the menu (upper left corner), start Modules, then open the 3-dot-menu in the upper right corner and "Reboot to Recovery". Well, you'll reach a black screen with a "lying around Android". At this point I got stuck again. A long press on Esc brings you back to a working Cosmo. Well, without TWRP or a cache cleaner program ( (like "Fast optimizer" by HDM Dev Team) we can't do anything.

Bye for now  Fred
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:01:20 pm by AP756 »

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2019, 01:04:26 pm »
Quote from: AP756
NormMonkey, won't help you much: As you I didn't find a way to enter recovery just using keys. But if your Cosmo is rooted (like mine) it's easy to enter recovery. Start Magisk, open the menu (upper left corner), start Modules, then open the 3-dot-menu in the upper right corner and "Reboot to Recovery". Well, you'll reach a black screen with a "lying around Android". At this point I got stuck again. A long press on Esc brings you back to a working Cosmo. Well, without TWRP or a cache cleaner program ( (like "Fast optimizer" by HDM Dev Team) we can't do anything.

Thanks Fred,
I haven't rooted yet.  I have been watching that thread, though.
I figure things are going to change a bunch when PC has boot-to-linux ready, and I'll wait patiently for that.  In the meantime I'm getting used to all the quirks and behaviour as it comes out of the box, so I have a baseline to compare to when I eventually root it.  I'm just being a bit lazy and want to minimize the number of times I end up doing what amounts to a factory reset and apps reinstall and restores from backup.

I did have an idea that somewhere in Developer Options there might be a setting to cause the phone to reboot into recovery mode, but alas I could not find it.

Whilst in Developer Options, I came across this:
Developer Options : Debug : Feature Flags : settings_battery_display_app_list which was set to FALSE on mine.  

I set it to true, but as yet it hasn't changed anything yet.

Could be it needs to go through a charge cycle or at least a bit of time to do data gathering, or could be it needs reboot to see the setting, or could be it isn't related and/or I still need to find a way to do the "wipe cache" thing.

drpeter

• View Profile
    • http://
Poor battery life
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2019, 05:28:51 pm »
Interesting...

Cycled battery by discharging to 5% then charging to 100% on fast charge, restarting phone disconnected from power, reconnecting to charge x 2, leaving overnight on fast charge @ 100% battery.

Now, 72 hrs later (albeit with minimal use and with outer screen & all radios turned off) battery is still @ 40%

It sounds as if, in keeping with others' observations, the battery may charge more fully or report charge more accurately after several charge/recharge cycles.

As I reported previously, to begin with I was previously getting only 72hrs from full charge to discharged under the same circumstances.

PNuT

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2019, 11:22:21 pm »
They are not deep sleeping.....

Equally there is some odd behaviour with regard to the charging circuit as sometimes the better battery app is showing the device plugged in when it isn't!

jutleys

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2019, 04:36:03 pm »
Let's face it 2 screens are going to drain battery faster if you want more battery life turn front screen off simples

Sath

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2019, 05:29:41 pm »
Quote from: jutleys
Let's face it 2 screens are going to drain battery faster if you want more battery life turn front screen off simples

That makes no sense. When the cover is closed, the main screen is off, and when the cover is open, the cover screen goes off shortly.

I've had lots of phones with two screens, all of them having better battery life even out of a smaller battery. Hell, my E90 communicator`s battery is still good for 2.5 days. And it's a 5 year old battery.

PNuT

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2019, 12:15:47 am »

Mine is using 3.1% per hour minimum as long as all apps are killed before closing the lid, if you leave apps running its up to 8% per hour....

as I said before it is because they are not deep sleeping!

Omroth

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2019, 05:13:13 am »

You think a one inch screen should use 3x as much battery on its own as a 6 inch screen and a powerful phone/computer using wifi and GSM??  Simples!

Pdajah

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2019, 12:12:02 pm »
Updating the cover display firmware has helped to reduce the rate of battery drain.
Previous PDAs - Psion 5, Psion 5mx, Ericsson MC218, Psion Revo, Psion 7
Now: Gemini PDA and Cosmo

steeph

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2020, 11:06:12 am »
Quote from: mitchelln
Is anyone else experiencing really poor battery life?
Yes, and I find it interesting that I'm not alone with the problem.

I get usually around 6 to 7 hours from 100% to 0%. It varies, but it's usually closer to 6 hours. And that's in airplane mode, with power saving standby enabled, the cover display turned off and the lid closed. If I use it the battery is empty even quicker. Accordingly, the lid is constantly pretty warm, very hot if it's in my pocket for a while. This is "within the normal temperatures" according to support. It doesn't get noticeably warm when it's completely turned off. But the battery is still discharging in a couple of hours.

Battery usage data is not available. It looks like that's the same for every Cosmo. So I don't know why support points to the non-existing statistic. I've analysed battery usage with ADB, but as far as I can tell nothing is using a lot of CPU and I'm not sure how to interpret the rest of ADBs output to find a process that is draining the battery.

I assumed it was a problem with an app that I've installed. So I did a reset and only installed what I really needed. (My Gemini broke so I need the Cosmo almost daily.) It looked fine for the first few hours but at the end of the day the battery was empty again. I never found an app that might be at fault and the recent firmware update didn't help either. ADB is estimating the battery capacity at 1Ah, but as I understand it that estimation is usually far off, anyway.

So I'm out of ideas. Planet suggested to reset again and install the firmware updates again, which I will probably do at some point. But I don't expect anything to change.

So I guess all we can do is compare our devices and find the differences between those that work properly and those that don't. What differences are there? I doubt the keyboard plays a role, but mine is German and it's the European model. I can't think of anything else.

PNuT

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2020, 11:13:03 am »
Quote from: steeph
Quote from: mitchelln
Is anyone else experiencing really poor battery life?
Yes, and I find it interesting that I'm not alone with the problem.

I get usually around 6 to 7 hours from 100% to 0%. It varies, but it's usually closer to 6 hours. And that's in airplane mode, with power saving standby enabled, the cover display turned off and the lid closed. If I use it the battery is empty even quicker. Accordingly, the lid is constantly pretty warm, very hot if it's in my pocket for a while. This is "within the normal temperatures" according to support. It doesn't get noticeably warm when it's completely turned off. But the battery is still discharging in a couple of hours.

Battery usage data is not available. It looks like that's the same for every Cosmo. So I don't know why support points to the non-existing statistic. I've analysed battery usage with ADB, but as far as I can tell nothing is using a lot of CPU and I'm not sure how to interpret the rest of ADBs output to find a process that is draining the battery.

I assumed it was a problem with an app that I've installed. So I did a reset and only installed what I really needed. (My Gemini broke so I need the Cosmo almost daily.) It looked fine for the first few hours but at the end of the day the battery was empty again. I never found an app that might be at fault and the recent firmware update didn't help either. ADB is estimating the battery capacity at 1Ah, but as I understand it that estimation is usually far off, anyway.

So I'm out of ideas. Planet suggested to reset again and install the firmware updates again, which I will probably do at some point. But I don't expect anything to change.

So I guess all we can do is compare our devices and find the differences between those that work properly and those that don't. What differences are there? I doubt the keyboard plays a role, but mine is German and it's the European model. I can't think of anything else.

what software version are you on?

mine has done 6 hours since full charge with 1 hour 4 mins screen time and is on 75%

one of the software versions properly ate the battery and was always warm as you describe but it seems better on V19

steeph

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2020, 11:43:04 am »
Quote from: PNuT
one of the software versions properly ate the battery and was always warm as you describe but it seems better on V19
I'm on V19 as well. I haven't noticed any change since the update. But I'll measure the time again tomorrow when I won't be using it much anyway.

steeph

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2020, 07:00:22 am »
I'm on V19 as well. I haven't noticed any change since the update. But I'll measure the time again tomorrow when I won't be using it much anyway.
After resetting I had trouble updating CoDi. But after the 8th or so attempt it finally flashed completely. I charged to 100 %, then did nothing (lid closed). After about 4 hours it's down to 43 %. Not really an improvement. To be sure, what is the current CoDi version? I'm on 1.1.1.12 now.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:28:16 am by steeph »

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
Poor battery life
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2020, 07:32:46 am »
After resetting I had trouble updating CoDi. But after the 8th or so attempt it finally flashed completely. I charged to 100 %, the did nothing (lid closed). After about 4 hours it's down to 43 %. Not really an improvement. To be sure, what is the current CoDi version? I'm on 1.1.1.12 now.
Have you tried to disable NFC?
@see: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=36003

Maybe this helps for the time being.

steeph

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2020, 10:27:23 am »
Quote from: mithrandir
Have you tried to disable NFC?
@see: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=36003
Thanks for the hint! I haven't seen this post. In my battery usage recordings from ADB android.hardware.nfc@1.1-service always stayed way below 1s of CPU time. But I've disabled NFC and will see if it helps.