Author Topic: New Cosmo Keyboard Issues  (Read 5923 times)

Stardust21

• View Profile
New Cosmo Keyboard Issues
« on: May 22, 2023, 05:37:22 pm »
Hi guys,

I have a new Cosmo Communicator, I'm finding the keys sometimes don't register or register multiple times so I make mistakes. I've noticed threads on 'Keyboard Ghosting', not sure if this is what you mean. Is there anything I can do to mitigate it?

My current android version is Cosmo-9.0-Planet-04282020-V19-2, I'm not sure that's the latest version but there's no option to update.

Thanks

rigid

• View Profile
Re: New Cosmo Keyboard Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 10:07:47 am »
Try to update to v23(it's not latest, but better what you have) using this manual https://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Cosmo_Android_Firmware_Manual_Installation

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 05:09:59 am »
Hi thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 07:21:30 am »
Try to update to v23(it's not latest, but better what you have) using this manual https://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Cosmo_Android_Firmware_Manual_Installation

Any idea's why I might not be able to get into recovery mode? Holding volume up takes me to safe mode instead. In android the button on the fingerprint sensor is volume down not up which might explain why it's going to safe mode.

Thanks

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 07:28:25 am »
Any idea's why I might not be able to get into recovery mode? Holding volume up takes me to safe mode instead. In android the button on the fingerprint sensor is volume down not up which might explain why it's going to safe mode.

Well, try pushing the rocker the other way?-) You aware that there are two buttons on that?

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2023, 07:40:51 am »
My bad I didn't realise it was a rocker switch :/ , I'm in the recovery mode now thanks.

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 11:24:01 am »
Thanks got the v23 update installed now. Sadly didn't fix my keyboard issue though.

sufehmi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 06:10:32 am »
Hi guys,

I have a new Cosmo Communicator, I'm finding the keys sometimes don't register or register multiple times so I make mistakes. I've noticed threads on 'Keyboard Ghosting', not sure if this is what you mean. Is there anything I can do to mitigate it?

I suffer from exactly same problems.

This makes my Cosmo pretty much unusable except for very, very slow typing - which completely beats its purpose.

Any advice appreciated (perhaps keyboard replacement? etc)

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 10:40:37 am »
Can I ask how long you've had your Cosmo? I believe the Cosmo and Gemini keyboards have 2 key rollover, probably a limitation inherited from the Psion 5mx. So I think the additional characters that are sometimes registered with certain key combinations beyond 2 keys is likely unfixable by software.

However the double registering of keys, and I've tried this, tapping a key relatively slowly repeatedly in the notes app, at random intervals it will suddenly register multiple presses with a single press. I believe that should be fixable in software. There was some keyboard firmware improvements in the V25 which gave me some hope but I haven't been able to install it. I've contacted Planet about both the keyboard and the update issue but am yet to receive a response in the last couple of weeks.

sufehmi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 02:48:52 pm »
Can I ask how long you've had your Cosmo? I believe the Cosmo and Gemini keyboards have 2 key rollover, probably a limitation inherited from the Psion 5mx. So I think the additional characters that are sometimes registered with certain key combinations beyond 2 keys is likely unfixable by software.

I bought it via their Indiegogo campaign - so, about 5 years now.

And have had these problem since day one.

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2023, 03:23:49 pm »
To some extent that's reassuring it lasted 5 years. Can I ask what version of android your using is it V25?

sufehmi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2023, 03:59:24 pm »
To some extent that's reassuring it lasted 5 years. Can I ask what version of android your using is it V25?

Because I haven't been using it the last few years.

Its hinge already broke, despite always using it very carefully.

Battery is nearly unusable. And request for battery replacement has been ignored for weeks.
Others has been ignored for MONTHS.

And after the scary last upgrade process, I'm still too scared to try upgrading to V25.

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2023, 04:54:57 am »
Oh I see, I know the Gemini had hinge issues, I was hoping the Cosmo would be better. They don't seem to be the most communicative company. Do you even get the option to upgrade to V25?

sufehmi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2023, 06:57:26 am »
Oh I see, I know the Gemini had hinge issues, I was hoping the Cosmo would be better. They don't seem to be the most communicative company. Do you even get the option to upgrade to V25?

I remember getting the notice - but no thanks, too scared to try it.

Or should I try anyway, since got nothing to lose at the moment anyway, hm.

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2023, 08:00:20 am »
If it were me I would try it but I didn't encounter issues updating the android firmware. I just had to do it manually as the OTA update doesn't work for me. Codi was a bit of an ordeal to update though. It's your decision of course, but if you did decide to update it and it all goes south, then you could probably use these instructions to go back to the previous update:
https://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Latest_Cosmo_Firmware