Author Topic: Ir Keyboard Drivers - Alpha Release  (Read 49559 times)

kopsis

• View Profile
    • http://kopsisengineering.com
Ir Keyboard Drivers - Alpha Release
« on: October 12, 2005, 12:47:36 pm »
An "alpha" release of my new IR keyboard drivers for pdaXrom RC11 is now available! Supported keyboards are Belkin F8U1500-T and Pocketop. Possibly supported keyboards (the code is in there but I can't test it) are Targus and Palm IR keyboards.

This is a C7x0/C860 release only! Versions for other Zaurii will follow, but I want to make sure there's no serious breakage on the platform I can test on before I release for platforms I can't.

Disclaimer: this software has only been tested on one single Zaurus in the entire known universe. There are many things that could go wrong. If this software breaks your Zaurus, you get to keep all the pieces. Backup, backup, backup, backup!

Installation is pretty simple:

* Backup, backup, backup!

* Install the kernel-modules-input and zkbdd IPKs from my feed at http://kopsisengineering.com/rc11/Zaurus-7x0-860/feed/

* From an Aterm or the console do a "modprobe keybdev" and "modprobe uinput"

* From an Aterm or the console do an "lsmod" and make sure input, keybdev, and uinput modules are listed

* From an Aterm or the console run "zkbdd -h" to get the help page for launching the driver. The general form of the command is "zkbdd -t kbtype".

* Launch the driver (eg. "zkbdd -t pocketop &")

* Start typing on the keyboard

* Post your results here -- good or bad

Laze

• View Profile
    • http://www.pdaXrom.org
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 01:21:43 pm »
Loaded up as you wrote - seems to work okay so far on my 760. Will try on SL6000 now :-)

Update: Some minor problems with Caps-lock i think and sometimes i seems like it keep typing a key and locks normal keyboard input.

Btw. Using a pocketop IR.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 09:32:59 am by Laze »
C760 running pdaXrom lastest ;-)
SL5500 Running Cacko Qtopia
512 MB SD Card, 128 MB CF Card, Prism2 CF Wlan.

Always visit http://www.pdaXrom.org for latest news.

scoutme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 03:43:24 pm »
I'd like to have an IRKeyboard to test them

I'm very happy to hear of people adding new device support (and not only porting)

jmcneill

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 08:34:49 pm »
 I like it.  Works well but does start key repeats too easily.

Thanks

trichmon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 11:10:33 pm »
Works on a 6000.  Very functional.  Only real major problem for me is the | comes out as a $  

Thanks so much for all the work!!

Todd
SL-6000l running pdaXrom RC12 icewm + rox
Targus keyboard
Trendnet cf 10/100 ethernet
Linksys CF wireless
Sandisk 256mb SD card
Lexar 1gig SD card
SL-5500 running zynergy rom

Hrw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 02:22:13 am »
Maybe time to co-work with upstream so we won't end with kbdd like it is with irk where exist many versions hacked to support misc keyboards but not all.
OpenZaurus 3.5.4x Release Manager
OpenEmbedded, Ångström, Poky developer
My website

Misc embedded hardware.

kopsis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 08:49:11 am »
jmcneill:

Key repeat is handled entirely by the console or the X server (depending on which environment you're in). In X you'd normally control repeat rate with "xset r rate X Y" where X is the delay for starting repeat and Y is the delay between repeats. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the X server in pdaXrom supports that extension. Perhaps Sash can suggest another way to control repeat rate in X? For the console, delay and rate are normally set by the "kbdrate" program. Doesn't look like we have that utility, so perhaps I'll look into building it for inclusion in the zkbdd ipk.

trichmon:

For your | = $ problem, could you let me know keyboard type and if it's happening in the console or in X (or both)?

Hrw:

I understand where you're coming from. It is worth pointing out that one of the reasons for the many flavors of IRK is that its design makes it a fairly complicated matter to add support for an additional keyboard. My zkbdd design does a number of things to specifically address that problem. Eventually I hope to get to the point where drivers can be written as "scripts" that "plug-in" to zkbdd at run-time (no compiling necessary).

As for kbdd, unfortunately kbdd suffers from a lack of good system design so unless the maintainers are open to a major code restructuring, a merge is unlikely. On top of that, it's still too early in development to consider a merge. My code is far too Zaurus specific. That's been a purposeful decision to make it easier for me to isolate and correct defects in the early releases. However, if real world testing reveals that I'm on the right track with my design, I'll eventually re-architect the code yet again with a two stage scancode conversion process (keyboard -> intermediate -> target). At that point the keyboard drivers would be "common" and only the backend final scancode conversion would be target specific.

When (and if) that happens, the kbdd folks may wish to migrate kbdd to my code base. If not then we'll have two competing projects and users can decide which one is superior. Forking in open source projects can be good when the fork takes the code in substantially different directions (as opposed to just being minor tweaks of the upstream project). Note that since I'm keeping the command line interface "compatible" with kbdd, GUI apps to control it (like GPE) shouldn't care which "driver" the users pick.

kopsis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 08:54:07 am »
If anyone tries zkbdd with a Targus or Palm wireless keyboard, please post your results here and specify which keyboard you tested with. I'd really like to know if the code for either of those keyboards is even close to working before I do a beta release for other platforms.

And in general, specifying your keyboard type when reporting any problems will be most helpful.

Many thanks to all the brave souls who are giving this alpha release a test drive!

trichmon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 10:49:02 am »
Im useing a targus model Pa870 V3.  I spent some more time and I have to add a couple more keys to the problem list.  It seems he [,],\ give starnge results.  

Stll very useable.

Todd
Targus keyboard
Linksys CF wireless
Sandisk 256mb SD card
Lexar 1gig SD card

kopsis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 12:12:11 pm »
Todd, thanks for the info! If you don't mind spending a few minutes debugging, could you please do the following:

* In an Aterm or the console, start zkbdd with the "test9600" driver (zkbdd -t test9600) ... launch as a foreground process - no '&'.

* For each key that is acting up, press and release the key. Each time you press a key you'll see a sequence of codes displayed. Record the sequence of scancodes that zkbdd displays (you'll need to include which key generated which codes) and send the info to me either via private message or via email to "kopsis shift-2 gmail dot com"
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 12:13:52 pm by kopsis »

cal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 10:10:14 am »
I would love to help test.  I have a C1000 and a Belkin F8U1500

kopsis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 11:11:40 am »
C1000/C3X00 packages are coming soon (hopefully next week). Those devices use a different kernel and I'm still researching to make sure my changes to the keybdev module aren't going to break anything.

I'm also testing a new feature that loads the KB driver code via scripts at run-time. If that works, users will actually be able to modify/add keyboard drivers without any development tools!

trichmon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 08:28:52 pm »
I would be happy to test.  I will try to get it done this weekend.

Todd
Targus keyboard
Linksys CF wireless
Sandisk 256mb SD card
Lexar 1gig SD card

urielka

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 06:48:29 am »
i can beta test it for C1000 if you need
i have a strange non-brand ir-keyboard works with pocketpc,palm and symbian

sds

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 10:05:09 am »
David, my Targus PA870 has been hijacked, so I could now only test the belkinf8 which you also have.

But maybe my input still could be of use for you.

The belkinf8 is working very well so far in X and indeed does not mess up with the built-in keyboard.

I have only these rather small, but annoying issues:
* Somehow I am unable to type '~'. 'Shift-`' gives back '`'.
* I would like to be able to use the driver as non-root also, however:
Code: [Select]
[lax:0:/home/svetlin> zkbdd -t belkinf8
using driver: Belkin F8U1500 IR Keyboard Driver, version 0.1
failed to open uinput device: No such file or directory
init uinput failed
* How could the driver be nicely stopped? 'Kill -9' brings an infinite loop in aterm with no further input possible, so I need to kill the terminal window.

Still, a very good job! Much appreciated.
C3100 pdaXrom