Author Topic: Kde 3.5  (Read 63755 times)

ShiroiKuma

• View Profile
Kde 3.5
« on: December 30, 2005, 12:50:44 pm »
KDE 3.5 as compiled by Sash for beta1 runs fine but is too big for the internal memory.

I've made a squashfs image of the complete KDE packages from Sash stripped of some stuff I consider unnecessary. This image is slightly over 50 megs.

Now I run KDE from the internal RAM and it runs super smoothly. It's much faster than from an SD or CF and everything is fine, you can suspend, resume, no probs...

I'll post the image with instructions how to install it after the weekend when I can upload.

In the meantime, Sash can you post the Kde headers and includes, so that we can compile for KDE too? I wanted to try compile skim for KDE, but can't do it without the headers and includes...

Later,

ShiroiKuma
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']Das ganze tschechische Volk ist eine Simulantenbande.[/font][/span]
Militäroberarzt Bautze

ZDevil

• View Profile
    • http://
Kde 3.5
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 01:17:31 pm »
Great!  I will surely go for this one!  

Well, should I force myself to stop saying any more "Thanks!", "Very nice!", "Great!", etc, because I find myself doing this so much in this forum these days...

Life is too precious for hacking *too much*
Visit my Z screencap gallery[/color]
My EeePC 701 Black = Debian (Lenny) on IceRocks + Transcend SDHC Class6 8GB + 2GB RAM
My Zaurus SL-C3200 = Debian EABI (kernel 2.6.24.3-yonggun) on a swapped internal Sandisk Extreme III CF 16gb
My Debian EABI feed: http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian/
My OpenBSD/Zaurus feeds:  Link1, Link2
[/i][/font][/color][/size]

bam

• View Profile
    • http://thegrinder.ws
Kde 3.5
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 03:21:47 pm »
screenshots  ?
SL-C3100 current: Stock/Tetsu 18h
Socket BT CF Card
Linksys WCF-12 802.11b/Cheapie USB Ethernet

The Grinder

gromituk

• View Profile
Kde 3.5
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 12:57:21 pm »
Well done for this.  What have you removed from it?  Would be useful to know, just in case it is vital for someone!

scoutme

• View Profile
Kde 3.5
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 08:28:14 am »
anyone smart enough to prepare a pdaxrom-setup for kde? something similar to what we have seen for fwwm and icewm, or detailed instruction like those by Chero for xfce4? KDE is not that slow, but lacks some useful customization.

Chero

• View Profile
    • http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero
Kde 3.5
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 09:07:49 am »
KDE 3.5 seems to be a hell of a lot faster than the 3.4 package provided with rc10.

What I miss is a battery-applet, is it just me, or is it really missing.

I created a seperate "startkde2" and "xinitrc.kde", the same way as I did for xfce4. Now I can choose (startx, startxfce4 or startkde2).

I'm not really a kde-fan, but it's nice to show off !! I went to a meeting of the local linux-user-group, I think a few Z's are going to be bought in the upcoming weeks.

Have fun,
Chero.
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
March 12 2009 : Back because the Zaurus is one of a kind.
SL-C760 : pdaXrom
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

ShiroiKuma

• View Profile
Kde 3.5
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 09:15:42 am »
KDE 3.5 seems to be a hell of a lot faster than the 3.4 package provided with rc10.

What I miss is a battery-applet, is it just me, or is it really missing.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109199\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
It is a hell-of-a-lot faster.

For battery use mb-applet-battery. It also has the advantage that this way the Light & Power settings work, i.e. if you set it to suspend after a period of inactivity it'll work. Without the mb-applet-battery, it doesn't.
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']Das ganze tschechische Volk ist eine Simulantenbande.[/font][/span]
Militäroberarzt Bautze

ShiroiKuma

• View Profile
Kde 3.5
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 10:39:35 am »
OK, here goes. Here is the KDE 3.5 package which you can run off the internal flash. BTW it is for the SL-C860, didn't test on any other machine, so don't blame me if it doesn't work.

1. Don't install any of the KDE packages found in the feed, if already installed, uninstall them before proceeding.
Code: [Select]
mkdir /usr/lib/kde3.
mkdir /usr/lib/kde/kde3.54.
mkdir /usr/lib/kde/kde3.5additional5. Download the KDE 3.5 stripped package and put it in /usr/lib/kde
It's 60 meg so you need to have this much space in the internal flash.
6. Download the KDE 3.5 additional package and put it somewhere on an SD. It contains all the stuff taken out by me from the full install, i.e. kstars, kgeography, and basically all the stuff which I deemed I'm never likely to use. You don't have to use this package if you don't want to. If you do, you will have the full KDE 3.5 installation where this additional stuff is gonna run off of the SD.
7. Install squashfs utils from the pdaXrom unstable feed.
8. Install KDE 3.5 stripped symlinks ipkg. Install it to internal flash.
9. If you want to use the additional package from step 6, install the KDE 3.5 additional symlinks ipkg. Install it to internal flash.
10. Edit the startkde file. If you don't know where it is, find it by
which startkdeAt the beginning of the file, right after #!/bin/sh add the following line
mount -t squashfs - o loop /usr/lib/kde/kde_3.5.0_stripped.squashfs /usr/lib/kde/kde3.5at the complete end of the file add the following line
umount /usr/lib/kde/kde3.511. If you want to use the additional package from step 6, edit the startkde file again an at the beginning of the file add the following line
mount -t squashfs - o loop /mnt/sd/kde_3.5.0_additional.squashfs /usr/lib/kde/kde3.5additional assuming you put the package in /mnt/sd/
at the complete end of the file add the following line
umount /usr/lib/kde/kde3.5additional
And that's it, now you can start KDE by startkde

You will really feel the difference in how much smoother it'll run, compared with running from an SD.

The first time it starts it'll be very slow, because it'll bring up the language etc. configuration dialog. After that, no probs.

Let me know how it works for you.
Militäroberarzt Bautze

ZDevil

• View Profile
Kde 3.5
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 10:46:54 am »
Cool!  This thread should be pinned, right?  

It seems the kernel-modules-and-util-squashfs_2.4.18_armv5tel.ipk is for Cxx0 and not the Cxk, which should be 2.4.20, right?  But I don't see it in the feeds...  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 10:51:37 am by ZDevil »

My EeePC 701 Black = Debian (Lenny) on IceRocks + Transcend SDHC Class6 8GB + 2GB RAM
My Zaurus SL-C3200 = Debian EABI (kernel 2.6.24.3-yonggun) on a swapped internal Sandisk Extreme III CF 16gb

ShiroiKuma

• View Profile
Kde 3.5
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 11:02:31 am »
Cool!  This thread should be pinned, right? 
It seems the kernel-modules-and-util-squashfs_2.4.18_armv5tel.ipk is for Cxx0 and not the Cxk, which should be 2.4.20, right?  But I don't see it in the feeds... 
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109208\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I'm using them on an 860. Don't know if you can use it on the 6000 or 3100.
Militäroberarzt Bautze

ShiroiKuma

• View Profile
Kde 3.5
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 11:09:48 am »
I've made a Japanese locale ipk for KDE 3.5. The above squashfs image already contains it, so no need to install it. You can select either a US English or a Japanese locale in it.

For users of the KDE ipks from the feed, you can download the locale ipk here and install it regularly.
Militäroberarzt Bautze

ScottYelich

• View Profile
    • http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php?opmodload&namephpWiki&filei
Kde 3.5
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 12:13:21 pm »

ZDevil

• View Profile
Kde 3.5
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 04:18:43 pm »
Problem:

In #10, startkde is not found.  
/usr/lib/kde/bin/startkde is symlinked to /usr/lib/kde/kde3.5/bin/startkde, but the latter does not exist.  /usr/lib/kde/kde3.5/bin/ is empty.

updated:
/usr/lib/kde/kde3.5/bin/startkde is in the squashfs image, which is read only, so there is no way to edit it.  
Any idea?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 04:35:42 pm by ZDevil »

ShiroiKuma

• View Profile
Kde 3.5
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 07:13:58 pm »
updated:
/usr/lib/kde/kde3.5/bin/startkde is in the squashfs image, which is read only, so there is no way to edit it. 
Any idea?  Thanks!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109245\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
OK, I will fix this when I can upload again. In the meantime, the fix is:

rm /usr/lib/kde/bin/startkde2. Mount the image by
mount -t squashfs - o loop /usr/lib/kde/kde_3.5.0_stripped.squashfs /usr/lib/kde/kde3.53.
cp /usr/lib/kde/kde3.5/bin/startkde /usr/lib/kde/bin/4.
umount /usr/lib/kde/kde3.5
Now you can edit the startkde as per point 10 above and start KDE regularly.
Militäroberarzt Bautze

ZDevil

• View Profile
Kde 3.5
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 04:16:48 am »
Thanks!  It works now.
I'm trying to use KDE as the default by doing:
ln -sf /usr/lib/kde/bin/startkde ~/.xinitrc
startx
Need to turn on swap (64MB on SD) coz KDE seems to eat up a lot of system memory.
Continue exploring ...  
Great job!  ShiroiKuma and Laze!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 04:19:52 am by ZDevil »