Author Topic: Android 8 battery drain  (Read 3546 times)

jofe

• View Profile
Android 8 battery drain
« on: June 03, 2020, 03:33:38 pm »
Sorry if this has previously come up, but I can't find it any where.

I have just upgraded my 4G X27 gemini to Android 8.1 (early 2019 image), and now have the battery draining in a small fraction of the time it used to.

Is there a fix for this, or a way to return to Android7?  I have not rooted the instrument, but have Linux as secondary boot.

Thanks.

Daniel W

• View Profile
Android 8 battery drain
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 04:03:52 pm »
Quote from: jofe
I have just upgraded my 4G X27 gemini to Android 8.1 (early 2019 image), and now have the battery draining in a small fraction of the time it used to. Is there a fix for this, or a way to return to Android7?
While it may not be of much help to you, my own Gemini (which happens to be a 4G X25, but as far as I know, the hardware is virtually identical) runs fine on 8.1 (as far as I know there's only one version of 8.1 for it, and thus I suppose we both have the same version), so I can at least confirm that what you are experiencing isn't normal.

As far as I can recall, beyond some minor initial issues (which seems to be pretty common for new Android versions on any phone) I didn't get any battery life issues. However, unless someone more knowledgeable than me chimes in, and since you couldn't find any other post here on OESF, addressing the issue, you might end up having to back up everything, do a factory reset and reinstall everything again.

One issue I did run in to when upgrading to Android 8.1 on my Gemini was that I never got my e-id to work again, but that's a Swedish thing, so I expect it wouldn't affect you. I hope you will be able to find a solution.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 04:04:41 pm by Daniel W »

wrobell

• View Profile
Android 8 battery drain
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 10:00:21 am »
Quote from: jofe
Sorry if this has previously come up, but I can't find it any where.

I have just upgraded my 4G X27 gemini to Android 8.1 (early 2019 image), and now have the battery draining in a small fraction of the time it used to.

Is there a fix for this, or a way to return to Android7?  I have not rooted the instrument, but have Linux as secondary boot.

Thanks.

Do you have sim card? If not, put your Gemini into airplane mode. This should prevent Android from looking for GSM networks, which might be draining your battery.

Raniyah

• View Profile
Re: Android 8 battery drain
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 03:47:16 am »
Try one or several of these tips to get some improvement

Activate Airplane mode in low signal areas to reduce power drain
Don’t use Widgets on your home screen
Uninstalling unwanted apps

Also, In the  Settings panel in the Gemini (Fn + Del)  you will see Display as an option, and here there are a few settings you can use to manage your battery life.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Android 8 battery drain
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 04:37:12 am »
This tip for the Cosmo has helped reducing battery drain on my Gemini, too: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36380

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!