Author Topic: SailOS or Ubuntu Touch or Kali  (Read 5200 times)

posterberg

• View Profile
SailOS or Ubuntu Touch or Kali
« on: December 17, 2022, 03:44:56 pm »
When will we see it? I got this phone only because it was advertised that it would be able to dualboot into any of these. Very disapointed to not find any intruction on how to get any of these on my new phone.
Does anyone know an ETA?

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: SailOS or Ubuntu Touch or Kali
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 04:35:22 pm »
I thinkPC will not provide this in Astro as they did in  Cosmo. They are having many problems , especially  in production and shipping. Many backers probably will not receive their astros as you can see in Indiegogo. The file server on cosmo for linux update is also down.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 09:31:45 pm by cam1965 »

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 04:58:56 pm »
I know UBPorts works on the Astro, but only if you replace Android.

The Mediatek bootloaders Planet put on GitHub have been DMCA'd by Mediatek. I have to be careful what I say here.

Dual-booting is a WIP by developers.

wilkes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 09:01:33 am »
I know UBPorts works on the Astro, but only if you replace Android.

Is there a "how to" guide for installing UBPorts on the Astro?
wilkes
--
Cosmo Commuicator w/ cracked screen :(
Astro Slide

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 03:19:43 pm »
There's not, and it's also not supported officially. Multi-boot needs to be implemented first.

I'm reluctant to offer instructions because Planet hasn't given me the all-clear to do so, nor is there any stock firmware available for downloading and flashing onto the Astro should the process go wrong.

I realise this is frustrating but be assured Linux support is on the way.

I stress the importance of not messing with firmware, rooting, or other firmware mods unless you have a FULL backup (including NVRAM) and know what you're doing.

posterberg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2022, 04:58:42 pm »
I wouldnt mind replacing Android with Ubuntu Touch or SailOS even without dual boot.Havent however found anything about it. Seems like github might have cluea. Thank you!

I hope you get permission to reveal more details soon.

gemini

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2022, 06:16:19 pm »
What are my options for running linux?  I have used andronix before.  The experience is not perfect.  In particular I don't want to use vnc. What do you think of AnLinux?

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/exa.lnx.a/

Are there other options?  I understand that termux is getting better.

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 04:46:06 pm »
Hi

I used Anlinux on my Astro, as I hate android email apps. So you can have a normal thunderbird on your phone.

I tried Ubuntu with XFCE/LXDE. Both desktops look like the real stuff (after changing resolution in vncserver-start script). But I cant install libreoffice or a webbrowser.

For a better LinuxExperience, I can recommend Linuxdeploy. But it needs root.

Userland might be another option for "Linux-inside-android"-apps.

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2023, 03:57:35 am »
Tried Andronix, for me the best substitute for a "real" LinuxInstallation on a non rooted astro.

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 06:03:40 am »
Hi
I tried again Anlinux. Concerning the difficulties with Browser and Libreoffice installation, there are hints at  github and ... on the Andronix Page ;) ...

Now Linux works nicely with Thunderbird, Chromium and Libreoffice - like at home  :) .
So without root - my best option.

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 12:55:00 pm »
As I am very happy with Anlinux, there remain one issue to fix:
Keyboard layout (only in Anlinux, otherwise its perfect) doesnt match 100%. Especially the Fn doesnt work. Any ideas?

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2023, 10:18:59 am »
There's not, and it's also not supported officially. Multi-boot needs to be implemented first.

I'm reluctant to offer instructions because Planet hasn't given me the all-clear to do so, nor is there any stock firmware available for downloading and flashing onto the Astro should the process go wrong.

I realise this is frustrating but be assured Linux support is on the way.

I stress the importance of not messing with firmware, rooting, or other firmware mods unless you have a FULL backup (including NVRAM) and know what you're doing.
Well, in the meanwhile half a year has passed. I also have asked Planet about Linux/Multiboot/Rooted support a while ago, but got no meaningful response. Well, at least after several tries I got a response at all...  They also do not have provided a downloadable firmware, yet, so if we brick our devices there is no way to restore. Any new rumors  on multi-boot/Linux/official root?

Thx

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2023, 06:46:28 pm »
No news.

There is a way to root - see the 'planet-devices' wiki on my Github, but no Linux or multi-boot. Make sure you unlock the bootloader before rooting.