Author Topic: Refitting Cf Card For Sl-c3000  (Read 22028 times)

iamasmith

• View Profile
Refitting Cf Card For Sl-c3000
« on: May 31, 2006, 02:26:20 pm »
This is a walkthrough of the process.

Do NOT try this unless all of the following criteria are met.

1. You don't care about the Warranty of either the device or the card.
2. You have a single screwdriver that will fit the screws of the Zaurus (they are all pretty much the same).
3. You have a soldering iron and skills necessary to use it.
4. You are really so driven to do it that you have to do it.

Do NOT complain to me, Sharp, your vendor or anyone if you break it badly.

Quite probable pitfalls..

1. You have chosen a card that has slightly higher power requirements than the Microdrive.. will cause failures immediately. Note, a working card in the CF slot does NOT mean a working card inside the Zaurus.
2. Your card may fail much quicker than the Microdrive - Trisoft had a card fail within 1 week of fitting it.
3. You may well strip the screws on the PCB of the Zaurus when removing it.. those robots at Sharp screw em in hard and you MUST have a screwdriver that fits exactly.
4. If you are particularly 'cack-handed' or have a screw driver that doesn't fit then the screw driver may slip and gouge a fairly important part of the unit.
5. You could crack the board.
6. You could zap components with static off your body.
7. You could seriously frustrate yourself

OK.. enough of the warnings, here is the nitty gritty.

Remove all obvious components from the base unit..

* CF Blank, Battery Cover, Battery, Stylus, SD Card Blank an Service Console Gromit from the back of the unit

Remove all the screws. Be particularly careful not to lose the screws at the base of the battery compartment inside the unit.

Note all screws are exactly the same so there is no need to ensure that you have them noted for replacement in the same holes.

With the utmost care remove the back housing.. it may seem to come free from the side nearest the SD slot first. Once it is free like this lift the side nearest the battery compartment (the other side is anchored by the earphone socket) and the back should come free without undue force.

Take a close look at the main board. The two Marked A hold the board onto the mount. The two Marked B hold the CF housing onto the other side of the board. At some point you need to take them all out, if they will easily unscrew at this point then do it. If not I will suggest a tactic after removing this board.

Now note the area marked C, this varies from Zaurus to Zaurus. some may have a wire soldered here with enough slack to allow removal of the board. If as in this case there is a Copper Foil strip soldered to the unit then you must unsolder it before removing the board.

Note that each screw has a 'copper track' artwork arrow beside it on the PCB, you will use this to reference their replacement later.

Fold back the board which should now come out quite easily being extremely careful not to damage the ribbon cables attaching it to the screen and keyboard.

remove the two flat screws from the SD controller daughter board and remove the daughter board. If you need to apply pressure to the board to do this use something as a stanchion on the other side of the board. I simply placed the CF blanking plate under that area whilst doing this.

This should now lift off.

The next step is to remove the plastic housing for the CF card which has 2 clips and 2 hooks and if you didn't remove them earlier 2 screws (previously marked as B ). If you had trouble eariler then I suggest that you get the SD Card blank, apply a little tape to it and adhere the tape to the Microdrive so that it holds the SD Card blank under the area where the screw is. You should be able to apply a little more force with the screwdriver now without fear of straining the board.

Now simply replace the Microdrive with your chosen card...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Now reassemble in reverse order, cross your fingers and do the software engineering bit (I class partitioning the device etc in that area).

-Andy
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 11:41:42 pm by Varti »
OpenBSD 4.2 -current on full 4Gb of SL-C3000
Microdrive replaced with 4Gb SanDisk Extreme III card

Snappy

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 08:54:01 pm »
wow! neat!  .... you gave me an idea. How about refitting a CF wifi card in that space? Possibly need to trim the CF card as most cards juts out a bit.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:26:18 pm by speculatrix »
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-C1000 with Cacko 1.23 full
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27
Accessories: 512MB A-Data SD | 64MB Toshiba SD</span>

BarryW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 02:10:24 am »
That part jutting out is the antenna.  Wouldn't work too well without that.
What's this button do??

C3100
Distro changes almost weekly...

C3200
Distro also changes almost weekly...  :)

Hardware hacks and stuff.

iamasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 04:05:27 am »
wow! neat!  .... you gave me an idea. How about refitting a CF wifi card in that space? Possibly need to trim the CF card as most cards juts out a bit.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129222\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

There's a lot of discussion about this on other threads... lets no go there again on this thread pls.

-Andy
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:26:27 pm by speculatrix »

daniel3000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 04:11:49 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129222\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Indeed a very nice tutorial.
Thanks, Andy!

An I dea I had when reading albertr's instructions of fitting wifi and BT USB modules inside a C1000:

In a 3x00 you could replace the microdrive with a CF card which you removed the housing from first, so it will be much thinner.
This could allow to _additionally_ fit (i.e. stack) the USB modules in the same place as the CF card.

No idea if this would really work, but someone may want to try it.
(Well, don't try it with a dismantled Microdrive please, that certainly won't work ;-)

daniel
SL-C3200 with weeXpc, based on pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3
HP 200LX with MS-DOS 5.0

iamasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 04:26:24 am »

An I dea I had when reading albertr's instructions of fitting wifi and BT USB modules inside a C1000:

In a 3x00 you could replace the microdrive with a CF card which you removed the housing from first, so it will be much thinner.
This could allow to _additionally_ fit (i.e. stack) the USB modules in the same place as the CF card.

No idea if this would really work, but someone may want to try it.
(Well, don't try it with a dismantled Microdrive please, that certainly won't work ;-)

daniel
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129254\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Sorry if this sounds negative but NO, NO, NO, NO NO !

The housing around these storage cards almost certainly provides them with the RF shielding necessary for them to :-

a. Meet FCC/Euro or whatever compliance standards that there are with regard to emmissions.
b. Enable them to function in an environment with background electronic emmisions that are defined by these standards.
c. Meet the thermal characteristics that the manufacturer states in their documentation.

You may well experience glitches or complete meltdown if you try this. (any thoughts on this AlbertR if you are listening ?)

-Andy

Ferret-Simpson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 04:34:03 am »
Well the whole Zaurus is RF shielded, so that wouldn't be the problem. But you then wouldn't be able to cut a hole in the Z's RF shielding for the Wifi and Bluetooth signals. So there wouldn't be any point in the end result. Unless you mounted the Aerials externally?
Cortana: PXA250/Poodle: OZ/GPE 3.4.2RC1
Tycho PXA270/HTC_Universal WM5  .30.107/1.09.00/42.42.P8/1.30.162
HollyWatch: Fossil AU5005 - POS 4.1.2
ATLANTIS: Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 TBPC2005

Tosh256CF, Adlink CF 802.11B, 512KingSD, 128VikSD, CFChiMeiG1GPRS

iamasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 04:39:30 am »
Read it again Ferret, the post is talking about removing the casing from a CF card to make it smaller

Actually there is a point here about the health of a Zaurus with these cards fitted internally. As there is no RF shielding in the area where the card is fitted it might mean that a card that is slightly more noisy than the Microdrive could effect the operation of the Zaurus (note that all bets on CF standards etc are off when you are dealing with these internal slots) - compliance generally takes a consumer unit as a single entity in this respect.

If stability becomes an issue with my card I might find some of that metalicised paper screen stuff to wrap the card in.

-Andy
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 04:43:59 am by iamasmith »

Ferret-Simpson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 04:50:48 am »
Heh, sorry I thought you meant that external influences could affect the unprotected CF card as opposed to the other way round. See? I'm always right in my OWN context!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:27:06 pm by speculatrix »
Cortana: PXA250/Poodle: OZ/GPE 3.4.2RC1
Tycho PXA270/HTC_Universal WM5  .30.107/1.09.00/42.42.P8/1.30.162
HollyWatch: Fossil AU5005 - POS 4.1.2
ATLANTIS: Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 TBPC2005

Tosh256CF, Adlink CF 802.11B, 512KingSD, 128VikSD, CFChiMeiG1GPRS

iamasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 05:19:26 am »
Read it again Ferret, the post is talking about removing the casing from a CF card to make it smaller

Actually there is a point here about the health of a Zaurus with these cards fitted internally. As there is no RF shielding in the area where the card is fitted it might mean that a card that is slightly more noisy than the Microdrive could effect the operation of the Zaurus (note that all bets on CF standards etc are off when you are dealing with these internal slots) - compliance generally takes a consumer unit as a single entity in this respect.

If stability becomes an issue with my card I might find some of that metalicised paper screen stuff to wrap the card in.

-Andy
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129263\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Actually yes, the more I think about it the more that this seems logical if you have a card that works in the expansion CF slot and then causes failures when fitted internally.

Look at the pics on the disassembly screen again. Note that the External CF slot has an aluminium RF shield whilst the internal slot has nothing.

If you at some time tried this and gave up because the card caused failures (Seagate 8Gb cards fail) then it may be worth trying this again with a little extra screening in there.. be careful though the cards do need to have some air flow around them (particularly Microdrives).

-Andy

albertr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 07:49:31 am »
I think there could be some places found inside C3X00 casing to fit small Wi-FI and BT modules. There's a page in Japanese where they stuff a small BT module inside C3X00. That one, and there's also a good spot next to MD on the other side of the PCB. These locations could not be optimal for RF, but then external antennas could be used. Of course, it's a close fit, so modules needs to be very small, and locations needs to be carefully measured and examined.

On the other hand, C1000 has plenty of space inside that makes it much more easier.
-albertr
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 07:53:40 am by albertr »

iamasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 07:57:36 am »
One last extra tip, magnetise your screwdriver to hold the little screws.

I popped the top off to replace the 2 final screws that hold the SD card daughter board assembly to the main board. I left them out during testing because they were so darned awkward to remove.

My screwdriver was not magnetised so I picked up one of the screws with a pair of tweezers and as I was moving the screw into place I heard it go ping out of the tweezers and ricochet around the room. Took me 20 mins to find the damned thing

Don't use tweezers.

-Andy
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:27:25 pm by speculatrix »

daniel3000

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 08:14:55 am »
Sorry if this sounds negative but NO, NO, NO, NO NO !

The housing around these storage cards almost certainly provides them with the RF shielding necessary for them to :-

a. Meet FCC/Euro or whatever compliance standards that there are with regard to emmissions.
b. Enable them to function in an environment with background electronic emmisions that are defined by these standards.
c. Meet the thermal characteristics that the manufacturer states in their documentation.

You may well experience glitches or complete meltdown if you try this. (any thoughts on this AlbertR if you are listening ?)

-Andy
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129258\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Well, isn't there the same technology (Flash storage with driver chip) used inside the Zaurus anyway, and that part is not shielded seperately either.

Actually I don't think EMI would be an issue.
But OTOH now that you mention it, I am a bit hesitant to try it, because my data is too valuable to risk it that way. ;-)

I have taken apart an old 8MB CF card, and that one does not have any metal shielding, juse the plastic case around the PCB with the ICs. Have you seen a shielded card? Maybe the newer ultra-fast ones have a shielding?

daniel
SL-C3200 with weeXpc, based on pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3
HP 200LX with MS-DOS 5.0

iamasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 08:25:22 am »
Well, isn't there the same technology (Flash storage with driver chip) used inside the Zaurus anyway, and that part is not shielded seperately either.

Actually I don't think EMI would be an issue.
But OTOH now that you mention it, I am a bit hesitant to try it, because my data is too valuable to risk it that way. ;-)

I have taken apart an old 8MB CF card, and that one does not have any metal shielding, juse the plastic case around the PCB with the ICs. Have you seen a shielded card? Maybe the newer ultra-fast ones have a shielding?

daniel

It is possible that the newer high speed cards are shielded... maybe I'm being over cautious.

-Andy

tinfoil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 05:01:05 pm »
Well, I undertook this with varying degrees of success. First, I managed to break the copper contact mentioned in the instructions. As I have some spare parts, I thought what the heck, let's see what happens without it. It's just a ground strap, and it looks like there is another on the bottom of the board. And as I thought, it had no negative effects. YMMV, of course.

I replaced it with a Sandisk Ultimate 8GB 266x CF card, thinking it would increase the speed. Alas, no such luck! Disk speed is still bloody slow.

Edit: And by slow I mean buffered reads of ~2-3MB/s. The card tested about 10-15x that outside the machine. What a disappointment.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 08:12:50 am by tinfoil »
????- SL-C3100 Android/Zubuntu - DCF-660 Wifi - CF HD transplant
????- SL-5600 Angstrom - DCF 660 Wifi
Frankenstein- seriously hacked up Dell inspiron 8200 on Gentoo P4M 2.2Ghz, 2GB, Quadro video,
Opiate- Core 2 Quad @ 3Ghz, 8GB, 2x 1TB, 2x 9800GTX+ on Linux Mint x64, Vista Ultimate x64 (for the games)
Aenima- 15" Powerbook G4