Author Topic: Working Packages On Eabi  (Read 10477 times)

scottlfa

• View Profile
    • http://
Working Packages On Eabi
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 02:17:28 am »
Zaurus:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree        
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  modutils
The following packages have been kept back:
  mplayer
The following packages will be upgraded:
  module-init-tools
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 72.1kB of archives.
After unpacking 705kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

Updated the distro, and still cannot install xfce4, rox-filer or a number of other apps ... anything dependant on libgtk2.0
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 02:19:00 am by scottlfa »
"So there I was, spitting on my goldfish trying to keep it alive ..."
---------------------------------------------------------------< O >-------------------------------------------------------
Viliv N5 [Debian]
Acer One Running OSX 10.5.7 [Dell 3190 & Ram Upgraded]
SL-C1000 [ZUbuntu], JasJar [WM 6.5], Nokia N900, and Samsung Galaxy S 4G.
Sony Ux280P [Kbuntu 10.4 Lucid], PsP Go and DSi

Chero

• View Profile
    • http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero
Working Packages On Eabi
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 02:54:33 am »
Quote from: scottlfa
Zaurus:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree        
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  modutils
The following packages have been kept back:
  mplayer
The following packages will be upgraded:
  module-init-tools
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 72.1kB of archives.
After unpacking 705kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

Updated the distro, and still cannot install xfce4, rox-filer or a number of other apps ... anything dependant on libgtk2.0

try removing the "experimantal" and "unstable" repo. (only use the first two lines in your sources)
Then update - upgrade - try again ?

Chero.
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
March 12 2009 : Back because the Zaurus is one of a kind.
SL-C760 : pdaXrom
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

scottlfa

• View Profile
Working Packages On Eabi
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 03:01:21 am »
Same result.  Got the same with http instead of ftp in the source list.

On irc too
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 03:02:12 am by scottlfa »
---------------------------------------------------------------< O >-------------------------------------------------------
Viliv N5 [Debian]

jpmatrix

• View Profile
    • http://matrixmen.free.fr
Working Packages On Eabi
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 08:44:38 am »
hi
i've just apt-get update && dist-upgrade
and it updated libgtk2.0-0 and some other packages like x11-common

and now i've a big blue debian picture on my desktop with mounted filesystems icons !

now i reboot to see if all continues to work
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  
**ex-Zaurus SL-C3000 owner with Debian kernel 2.6.24-yonggun

scottlfa

• View Profile
Working Packages On Eabi
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 01:24:45 pm »
Maybe I was in the middle of a change?  Will try again
Viliv N5 [Debian]

dlj0

• View Profile
Working Packages On Eabi
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 01:46:48 pm »
Maybe I was in the middle of a change?  Will try again
I just noticed this thread.  I have experienced it, too.  It seems that some of the common packages (config files and data files used on all arch's) for some of th e gnome stuff were not updated at the last upgrade of sid.  But I apt-get updated yesterday (11/12) or at the earliest 11/11, and still had the problem.  I fixed one of the problems, to allow me to install libgtk2, by changing the version number on the common file and re-packaging.  I do not think this will cause any trouble.  But if an update will work (try installing gnumeric after updating and upgrading), that would be nice.  

This is the sort of thing you have to deal with using sid.
Zaurus:  SL C3100
ROM:  eabi debian/sid

dlj0

• View Profile
Working Packages On Eabi
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 01:57:01 pm »
No love with this.  Edit - Whats odd is these are the same repo's I installed from last time and this wasn't an issue.

This is certainly the libgtk2 problem.  The error message that apt gives you is somewhat inadequate.  The reason these things are not going to be installed is that this one (well, I have found 2) won't update without the correctly-numbered common file.  My cheating solution was to re-package the archive after altering the version number.  Works for me, but I sincerely doubt that I can distribute that.  If there is an editable file somewhere listing what versions of packages you have installed, then that could be edited.  However, I don't know what file that would be.  Ah, maybe it's /var/log/dpkg.log.*!  I will try that "solution" as well.

IMO there is no harm in fooling apt-get when it is trying to be too smart for its own good, as it is in this case.

jpmatrix

• View Profile
Working Packages On Eabi
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 07:45:00 am »
apt-get install kdepim : ok!

korganizer launched right now and it seems to work!

looking for google calendar or mobical synch procedure
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  

dlj0

• View Profile
Working Packages On Eabi
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 12:53:28 am »
I'm looking for a decent web browser for my eabi Zaurus.  I have discovered so far:

iceweasel tries to start, consumes tons of ram, then dies without ever displaying anything.  Repeatable.  
iceape does the same, as does icedove.  

galeon looks really cool, but when I try to connect to either my bank site or to this forum, or the NYT site, it will get only so far, then it chokes and hangs.  With the bank it never displays their window (which, to be fair, is bloated with ads and graphics).  On this forum I can read post titles, but it hangs when I try actually read a post.  Some sites load, others just don't.

epiphany -- same as galeon but the opening graphics aren't as cool.

dillo -- fast, but will not handle my bank site, and doesn't display graphics at all well.  Does work on NYT though

minimo (from the angstrom feed, not from debian -- unpacked data.tar.gz directly) works the best.  Displays graphics, allows me to connect to my bank.  Interface is a bit pda-ish, though, and I can't get it to work as a default browser -- that is, it can't process links clicked from an e-mail message if I set it to be root.  minimo starts, but does not load the page.  It also won't work like "minimo http://my.site"  again, the program starts, but does not load the page.

chimera2  -- fastest of the bunch on the desktop (this is an Xt app, so very lightweight).  It seems able to handle the NYT, but not my bank.  Haven't tried it here.  Trying it now.  Kind of low-tech, doesn't really log me in.  But it doesn't run at all on the Z; complains about missing default font and dies.

I haven't tried konquerer.  galeon demanded that I load the rest of gnome in order to run (which of course changed my default wm to gnome as well, which brings everything to a near halt).  I don't want to repeat that with KDE as well unless konquerer is really worth it.

So, is there anything else out there?  No, lynx will not suffice, nor will something made to run inside emacs.

jpmatrix

• View Profile
Working Packages On Eabi
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2007, 02:12:17 am »
Quote from: dlj0
I'm looking for a decent web browser for my eabi Zaurus.  I have discovered so far:
So, is there anything else out there?  No, lynx will not suffice, nor will something made to run inside emacs.

well you've done a good summary of the situation
i'm looking for exactly the same thing like you, and i've tried the same except minimo.

right now i'm downloading konqueror, i'll let you know about it. i haven't lots of packages to download as i've yet installed kdepim:)
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  

jpmatrix

• View Profile
Working Packages On Eabi
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2007, 02:38:43 am »
Quote from: jpmatrix
Quote from: dlj0

well you've done a good summary of the situation
i'm looking for exactly the same thing like you, and i've tried the same except minimo.

right now i'm downloading konqueror, i'll let you know about it. i haven't lots of packages to download as i've yet installed kdepim:)

konqueror installed and ... it seems to work ...
i succeed in loading my favourite test page : www.facebook.com
login successful, but the home page took quite long to load & display though...
now we need to test it further
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  

adf

• View Profile
Working Packages On Eabi
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2007, 03:51:23 am »
you might try building epiphany with a webkit (rather than mozilla's gecko) backend.. the how-to's are floating around the web, a little googling should suffice.  I didn't manage it, but I had tried on ubuntu dapper -- not quite new enough, and I didn't really need it on my desktop & pdaxii13 didn't have recent enough qtlibs, iirc.
of course:
*it may not build
*if built it might be useless
*if not useless it might be irritating
*but it might be very handy--  and part of the reason to switch to debian is to have a solid native build environment, right?

Edit:  there is an armel port for sid maybe this holds out hope for building it in eabi?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 03:57:54 am by adf »
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

jpmatrix

• View Profile
Working Packages On Eabi
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2007, 04:07:58 am »
Quote from: adf
you might try building epiphany with a webkit (rather than mozilla's gecko) backend.. the how-to's are floating around the web, a little googling should suffice.  I didn't manage it, but I had tried on ubuntu dapper -- not quite new enough, and I didn't really need it on my desktop & pdaxii13 didn't have recent enough qtlibs, iirc.
of course:
*it may not build
*if built it might be useless
*if not useless it might be irritating
*but it might be very handy--  and part of the reason to switch to debian is to have a solid native build environment, right?

Edit:  there is an armel port for sid maybe this holds out hope for building it in eabi?

funny i was just replying you that there was a epiphany-webkit package available :-)
i try to apt-get install it

Reply posted with Konqueror on Zaurus
(quite slow but seems to handle most web sites - still lack of flash & java ...)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 04:12:01 am by jpmatrix »
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  

jpmatrix

• View Profile
Working Packages On Eabi
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2007, 05:14:52 am »

no need to build for eabi, just apt-get install epiphany-webkit
it works, and is definitely faster than konqueror !
thanks for the advice
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  

adf

• View Profile
Working Packages On Eabi
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2007, 02:42:16 pm »
Quote from: jpmatrix

no need to build for eabi, just apt-get install epiphany-webkit
it works, and is definitely faster than konqueror !
thanks for the advice
excellent!  (I'm hoping building it for other roms gets more interest) any issues with it?
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf