Author Topic: So Close | Bt Dun  (Read 4229 times)

SiduS

• View Profile
So Close | Bt Dun
« on: December 18, 2007, 07:16:25 pm »
Hi,

Ok I know there are a lot of threads about getting bluetooth DUN to work. And I'v read through most of them. I was able to get to this point.

I have configured my /etc/bluetooth/givepin to echo PIN:1234

and I can do rfcomm connect hci0 <MAC ADDRESS> 1

The phone prompts for pairing. I submit the pin and its successfull.

But when trying to use the pdaxii13 ppp dialer it fails with teh following error:

Failed to open /dev/rfcomm0: No such device

I used the system PPP configuration tool to specify all the correct information for my username / pass and number to dial.

I know its just some simple configuration that I'm missing but I don't know what else to do.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 07:17:44 pm by SiduS »

stupkid

• View Profile
    • http://
So Close | Bt Dun
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 01:10:18 am »
You should have an entry in /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf for your phone.  Something like:

rfcomm0 {
     bind yes;
     device 00:11:22:AA:BB:CC;
     channel 1;
     comment "my comment";
}

Typing "rfcomm" at the command prompt as root should list any devices configured.  If you have entries in rfcomm.conf and you see nothing after inserting your bluetooth card try restarting your bluetooth daemons.  You can do this with the command "/etc/rc.d/init.d/bluetooth restart" as root.  If you still see no rfcomm devices then you should probably start looking at your phone with sdptool and hcitool scans to verify all the entries in the rfcomm.conf file.  Then break and re-establish the device pairing.

Zaurus SL-C3200 pdaXii13v2 5.5 / Ambicom WC1100C-CF / Socket Bluetooth Rev G

OpenMoko FreeRunner - Running Tweaked OM2008.x Image

SiduS

• View Profile
So Close | Bt Dun
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 05:03:12 am »
That was exactly what I was looking for. The rccomm.conf file wasn't correct. It can now establish a connection and begins the ppp connection. It gets to the point where it receives the auth method of CHAP MD5 And then receives the request for name = "" a response of name = "1234567890@1x.telusmobility.com" (replace 123....90 with my actual phone number) and then it receives CHAP authentication failed

It never gets to the point where it asks for the password.

I talked to telus support and they don't have the ability to view the logs to see if my username is being sent correctly. But I verified with them what it should be and its what PPP dialer says is being sent.

I read a few other posts about how the PPP Dialer double quotes the password but nothing about the username.  The username is being sent in double quotes as shown above. But it looks like the request is asking for it to be in doublequotes.

In my /etc/ppp/peers/default (which is the one its using) it has what I can tell is correct:

/dev/rfcomm0
connect 'usr/sbin/chat -s -v ABORT "NO CARRIER" ABORT "NODIALTONE" ABORT "BUSY" " "ATZ" OK ATDT#777 CONNECT'
crtscts
noipdefault
modem
user "1234567890@1x.telusmobility.com"
usepeerdns
defaultroute
connect-delay 60000
remotename default

i tried removing the "" around the user value as well.

I'm not sure if the remotename is correct.. but I don't even know what it should be. Telus support isn't very uesfull for validating or verifying anything as they seem to lack any ability to see what is happening. It would be very aparent im sure if they could just see what username was being submitted.

In my /etc/ppp/chap-secrets file it has:

1234567890@1x.telusmobility.com default "<password>"

I don't knwo if that default shoudl be there im sure its related to why its in the rfcomm.conf file.

Any suggestions would be apreciated.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:05:34 am by SiduS »

stupkid

• View Profile
So Close | Bt Dun
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 12:21:17 pm »
Can't give you much help there.  My provider does not require a username and usually the problem at this point is phone/provider specific.  Perhaps your phone or ISP has a knowledge base with more information about how a "generic" GPRS connection should be configured.  Googling for your phone and GPRS might turn up something as well.  Sorry  
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 12:22:16 pm by stupkid »

Zaurus SL-C3200 pdaXii13v2 5.5 / Ambicom WC1100C-CF / Socket Bluetooth Rev G

OpenMoko FreeRunner - Running Tweaked OM2008.x Image

SiduS

• View Profile
So Close | Bt Dun
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 02:29:24 pm »
Actually I don't believe this is the case. I've done a bit more work on this. I have manually done everything via command line and it works.

I did:

rfcomm connect hci0 <MAC ADDRESS> 1 &

Then I run:

pppd call default

which executes my /etc/ppp/peers/default script which has the following in it

dev/rfcomm0
connect 'usr/sbin/chat -s -v ABORT "NO CARRIER" ABORT "NODIALTONE" ABORT "BUSY" " "ATZ" OK ATDT#777 CONNECT'
crtscts
noipdefault
modem
usepeerdns
defaultroute
connect-delay 60000
remotename default

and it succeeds. I authenticate and my ppp ifup's fine and gets all the right TCP information.

I can now browse the web with dillo.

So it seems to me that the pppd dialer submits the authentication information wrong.

Is there anything I can do to debug this further as I would like to just use the GUI interface for obvious reasons.

SiduS

• View Profile
So Close | Bt Dun
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 02:44:20 pm »

This post is from my Z via BT DUN

Like I said I saw other posts where ppp dialer submitted the password with double quotes when it shouldnt. Perhaps this is whats happening with the username.

Eitherway If I can't figure the GUI out Ill have to make some shell scripts to manually connect / disconnect.

wowo123

• View Profile
So Close | Bt Dun
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 05:33:50 am »
Quote from: SiduS
That was exactly what I was looking for. The rccomm.conf file wasn't correct. It can now establish a connection and begins the ppp connection. It gets to the point where it receives the auth method of CHAP MD5 And then receives the request for name = "" a response of name = "1234567890@1x.telusmobility.com" (replace 123....90 with my actual phone number) and then it receives CHAP authentication failed

It never gets to the point where it asks for the password.

I talked to telus support and they don't have the ability to view the logs to see if my username is being sent correctly. But I verified with them what it should be and its what PPP dialer says is being sent.

I read a few other posts about how the PPP Dialer double quotes the password but nothing about the username.  The username is being sent in double quotes as shown above. But it looks like the request is asking for it to be in doublequotes.

In my /etc/ppp/peers/default (which is the one its using) it has what I can tell is correct:

/dev/rfcomm0
crtscts
noipdefault
modem
usepeerdns
defaultroute
connect-delay 60000
remotename default

i tried removing the "" around the user value as well.

I'm not sure if the remotename is correct.. but I don't even know what it should be. Telus support isn't very uesfull for validating or verifying anything as they seem to lack any ability to see what is happening. It would be very aparent im sure if they could just see what username was being submitted.

In my /etc/ppp/chap-secrets file it has:

1234567890@1x.telusmobility.com default "<password>"

I don't knwo if that default shoudl be there im sure its related to why its in the rfcomm.conf file.

Any suggestions would be apreciated.

Maybe there is an error in the connect-line with the "" or slashes:
Here is my version of your /default: /etc/ppp/peers/BT-Nokia (working with GPRS vodafone)

/dev/rfcomm0
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -s -v -t 60 ABORT "NO CARRIER" ABORT "NO DIALTONE" ABORT "BUSY" "" "AT+cgdcont=1,\\\"IP\\\",\\\"web.vodafone.de\\\"" OK "ATDT*99#" CONNECT'
crtscts
noipdefault
modem
user "d2"
defaultroute
connect-delay 20000
remotename BT-Nokia

spaul

• View Profile
So Close | Bt Dun
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 10:18:55 am »
There is also the "idiots" approach of using the cacko rom to establish your BT connection and then copying the settings (bluetooth folder and PPP folder, both in etc) to your more finicky rom or OS.  

Hope this helps someone.