Author Topic: Usage of other file systems than FAT32 for the sd card  (Read 1588 times)

mifritscher

• View Profile
Usage of other file systems than FAT32 for the sd card
« on: March 22, 2020, 07:23:42 am »
One (little) feature request: As the system already uses ext4 for internal partition, please allow the usage of ext4 partitions in the "shared medium" variant of the sd-card as well. exfat would be even better ;-) Currently, only fat32 is permitted, which can't handle files bigger than 4 GB, which is a problem for e.g. offline wikipedias. Android wants to format sdcard with any other file system.

I know that there are unofficial ways for rooted Android, but this would be a nice (and probably easy) feature for the "normal" Android.

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 09:21:56 am »
Yes, it's utterly insane that we have to use a toy filesystem (which can't even cope with my mp3 collection, due to 'invalid' characters in some of the filenames -- WTF?) on the uSD card.  But it's a batshit decision by Google, and I doubt it's something Planet can fix.

ianisthewalrus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 11:46:53 pm »
my galaxy xtratosphere 2 from 2013 had exfat support.... that gets you leger file sizes and windows compatible sd card.