Author Topic: Android v25 Firmware  (Read 6987 times)

Zarhan

• View Profile
Re: Android v25 Firmware
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2023, 10:23:41 am »
Just tested by the way, I requested a refund on my Astro protection pack (Since I've been using my Astro for quite some time now, and frankly, I don't need the protection pack anymore).

Zendesk autoreply: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 16:29:10
Paul's boilerplate reply: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 16:41:01 - all of ten minutes.

Of course, he replied with a canned response about me getting my Astro soon, without even bothering to read that my request was about the protection pack, not about the phone. But still, they can respond quite quickly if they want to.

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2023, 04:57:47 am »
That's interesting, I assume the issue is with my request and they are choosing not to reply. Can I ask what you think to your Astro, how does the keyboard compare to the Cosmo?

rssardis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2023, 01:09:42 pm »
Hi everybody, I'm a new Cosmo user and I'm running into the same problems. I have manually upgraded to V23 with the help of this forum and the downloads from Planet. Am I understanding correctly in that I'm just screwed and unable to update to V25 unless Planet actually responds to one of us with the firmware? I have also emailed them several days ago and they have yet to reply. Based on this thread that seems to be the case, but maybe bumping this thread will catch someone's eye who may be able to help. Really enjoying the device so far, even with the downfalls, I knew it was an imperfect device to tinker around with when I bought it but really wasn't expecting that it couldn't even update because Planet decided it wasn't important enough to upload the latest firmware to their site. That just seems like a slap in the face to customers, especially considering they still sell the device on their site with no warnings or disclaimers that it's stuck on old firmware..

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2023, 01:14:55 pm »
OTA is down, but you can root V23 by extracting the *V23* boot image (@Zarhan, the bootloader is lk (what was recently taken down by Mediatek), and the boot image, i.e, the kernel, is what the bootloader passes control of the CPU to), and rooting that with Magisk on the device.

I could get around to this this weekend, and publish it somewhere. It's relatively easy to do.

I've been trying to get Lineage on my Cosmo, and even with my MTK debug cable, it just boot loops.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 01:44:47 pm by Dom (shymega) »

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2023, 02:04:49 pm »
OK, so I've patched the V23 root image.

A couple of warnings: a) do not flash to `boot`, use the installer scripts. You can rename the file to `root-boot.img`, and follow the Planet wiki on that front. As long as you don't use the Planet-provided `root-boot.img`, you should be fine.

b) If you do want to flash to `boot`, you'll need to unlock the bootloader - this will erase your data.

Below is a link to a Google Drive link with the rooted kernel image.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IXLS7zJR9L1L7DPJjzVEYGlwgIjeVCy0/view?usp=sharing

Hopefully, V25 will be available soon. I did have the Update ZIP, but I've since deleted it. I feel like a bit of a moron now.

rssardis

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2023, 05:02:38 pm »
Thank you again for your help Dom. I'll hold out for V25 from Planet, root isn't necessarily on my radar right now but I've read there were some keyboard firmware improvements (amongst other things) in the newer versions, and that is my biggest reason for wanting the upgrade.
If anyone does have a copy of that update ZIP and could provide it, I know many including myself would be grateful! On the chance that Planet does get back to me via email sooner than they fix the OTA problem (I can dream), I'll be sure to upload a copy here for everyone as well. Fingers are crossed, but breath isn't being held.

Tur1can21

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2023, 12:39:35 pm »
+1 I Just opt to get the old Cosmo instead of the Astro and now stuck on V23. Can someone please provide V25 ? would be much appreciated, thx

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2023, 06:28:16 am »
Unfortunately no one's got it, I've emailed Planet multiple times over a month ago now and they don't respond. I assume there's some sort of issue with V25 otherwise they would provide it.

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2023, 10:28:35 am »
I ran V25 for ages, and don't recall it being any buggier than previous versions. So I don't think there's a reason it's not available besides some kind of incompetence.

I'll take an image of my Cosmo on the weekend and share the relevant partition images here.

Greg T

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2023, 01:48:20 pm »
I have a variation of this problem
My Cosmo says Android V 9
There should be a V 12 available - where & how do I get it & upload it?

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2023, 08:08:37 am »
I think your confusing OS version and firmware version. The Cosmo only runs Android 9 Pie, it was never updated beyond that. However we don't even have the latest version of the Android 9 firmware.

Unfortunately I sent Planet multiple messages and got multiple automated tickets but never got a response from them.

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2023, 06:45:20 pm »
OTA is still down. I've asked Planet if they can direct queries on Zendesk regarding software to me - but with OTA, my help is limited. All I have is v23.

I'm sure they have copies of the firmware, but they don't deal with OTA. It was only with Astro it began to be hosted by PC.

(Side note, but this is Agnostos: https://github.com/shymega/Agnostos - a privacy-focused, cloud-native OTA application. Any thoughts on design would be welcome before I send a formal proposal to PC).

Robsno5

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2023, 08:32:53 am »
I have a couple of working Cosmo (one with a cracked CODI) Typical the broken CODI one is v 25 and the perfect one is v 23.  is it possible to extract the V 25  and put it on the other rather than having to dismember them. Not urgent as I have an Astro but I would like the perfect one to have V 25 as it is my disaster recovery solution. any ideas?

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2023, 11:28:31 am »
You could readback the partitions, but I would _not_ recommend it.

There are numerous partitions for Android, and it's better to use the OTA.

pavliko

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2024, 04:59:28 pm »