Poll

Do you use your SL-Cxx00 Zaurus for serious work or just for fun?

I only do serious work on it - no time for fun!
6 (9.8%)
I use it for work and in my spare time I use it for games, MP3, video...
48 (78.7%)
It is not a good tool for daily work, so I only use it for fun.
7 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Who Uses Sl-cxx00 For Serious Work?  (Read 5495 times)

jomo

• View Profile
Who Uses Sl-cxx00 For Serious Work?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 03:19:43 pm »
 Unfortunately, for me, the Zaurus wasn't quite ready for serious work in the realm I would need it for.  It's a great device if you live in the server room (serial connection or even wired ethernet into the servers to diagnose problems etc.).  It's a great device if you like/are good at coding.  Unfortunately, if you're talking "out-of-the-box" useful, it's not.  Documents to Go on the Palm platform has left the old Handcom apps far, far behind, and the one company with a modern word-processor on the Zaurus platform really isn't doing very much with it and hasn't seen fit to compliment it with a spreadsheet.  I can get any number of GPS solutions for a Palm that don't require me to futz with creating my own maps following someone's arcane instructions.  In short, I don't miss my Zaurus much at all, since I sold it.  I come back here from time to time, hoping for some miraculous improvement where Openzaurus will suddenly rise to a level where it's actually out-of-the-box great and the developers can actually turn their attention to applications, but that's never really happened and I sort of despair that it ever really will.  The Zaurus, I think, is great for the eternal rebel who wants to go his own way, but if you want it to really, really work, it's just not there yet.

develd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 08:50:19 pm »
Nearly a year ago I was searching for a subnotebook or smartphone or PDA. Non of the available products met my needs. Then I found the Zaurus at the web - Linux driven nice to see.

After trying lots of applications on the standard ROM also console based apps I was satisfied but not overwhelmed. I've also tried Debian PoketWorkstation and it worked out to be more Linux like but slow.

Then I switched to OpenBSD 3.7 after it's release and found a system I wanted to stay and work with. Nearly any application from the portstree I wanted to use compiled nicely and worked great. Only problem I had was triggered wakeup for using alarms, a slower mplayer as on SharpROM and it couldn't get connected as usbstorage to host computers.

Finally I did my last switch to pdaXRom and wakeup and usbstorage works perfectly. I don't like the partition layout with installing here and linking there. But once set up it is not noticed anymore. Any new application goes to /usr/local on /mnt/ide.

Now I'm using the system very console driven with ratpoison as WM. No taskbar, no window borders nor titlebars. Complete screen to work with!!!

remind for appointments
devtodo for todos
mutt for mails
dillo for web
latex for creating pdf files and presentations
xpdf for reading pdf's
index or sqlite as database
vi or emacs for all text stuff
ImageMagik for pictures - even for 2MB files from the digicam
mplayer in fullscreen works fine with a well transformed movie

I haven't carried my heavy laptop since. And finally I'm completely offline productive with the GPRS AudioVox Card. Get / send mails and surf whereever I am. No hotspot, no dialline needed.

The only thing I could get weak on is the upcoming flybook V33i with Linux on it. But that's another story and it will not fit in my pocket.

Have a nice Zaurus time,
  Oliver

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2006, 07:42:06 am »
I wish I could use mine for serious work... but the they aren't allow at work... :-(
Just received it in the mail yesterday...

Already using ssh and planing my pdaXrom install!!!
Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100 and SL-6000L
pdaXrom Developer
Please visit pdaXrom.org for updates
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode

netog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2006, 08:47:25 am »
Ok. this is my use:
PIM tool (calendar and address book mostly)
MySQL database. I call attendance in my classroom with a java program I made, using MySQL to replicate my faculty database and keeping info from my students
Internet terminal (web, gaim, mail) when I am on travel

Of course.. mp3 and chess for free time  

Neto

zmike

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2006, 09:14:34 am »
I use it for work extensively as PIM and notetaker which keeps me on Cacko ROM. I use Textmaker for word synchronization, occasionally Hancom sheet for simple spreadsheets. I stay away from other PIMs mainly because I need one button synchronization with our corporate exchange server.

Outside of work I use Opie-Reader more than anything - occasionally watch videos with kino and muck around with Ruby and Rails.

I wish it would BIDIRECTIONALLY sync with my IMac.
SLC860, Zubuntu, Symbol Spectrum24 Wireless CF, 4GB SD Card

nilch

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2006, 03:25:41 pm »
I use the zaurus mainly for work and a bit for play (Zudoku) and proramming testing.

Main work usage is PIM - Calendering on KDE PIM and Contacts (head hunters contacts - since I am looking for a new job) are my most trusted apps on the zaurus.

I do some Python programming and have also written a few work related apps for the Zaurus and some generic (like a Train Timetable) which I use pretty often.

Email (QTMail) which I couldnt live without - both for personal as well as work.
Personal emails being blocked at office, I rely on the Zaurus for all personal email checking during the day (- thanks to free Wifi by my place).

Textmaker - particularly now for those resume polishing up sessions during job search and in general for composing work minutes and plans in brief.

Notetaking and my main note keeping base station for all those bric-a-brac of important notes to keep life structured.

PWM-PI for managing all those disparate logins and passowords for the online life.

Music listening while on the commute and some Zudoku sessions on and off.

- all thru these activities I never used synching - since my Zaurus is used standalone for all needs .
New no more-C1000 / 5000D (sold my 6000 and 750) | Cacko ROM 1.23 on C1000 | 256 MB CF | 2GB PNY SD card | Socket Networker WiFi CF Card | USB Host cable from StreamlineCPUS | Mini Microphone (for voice recording) |