Author Topic: Best Backup for Gemian?  (Read 1008 times)

jakfish

• View Profile
Best Backup for Gemian?
« on: February 27, 2024, 05:52:09 pm »
I can't get timeshift to install, even with the ppa and the key, and there doesn't appear to be a xenial-based arm64 timeshift .deb available elsewhere.

Do I have other options? dd-ing doesn't seem as if it will work, since I would need a livecd and an unmounted Gemian partition to perform a successful restore.

Looking for a true system backup, all of it.

Thanks,
Jake

jakfish

• View Profile
Re: Best Backup for Gemian?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 01:06:48 pm »
FWIW, I found a timeshift ARM64 that will install in Gemian, via sudo dpkg -i despite its complaints about two missing libs.

The fonts, despite xrandr tinkering, remain minuscule, so users will need a powerful magnifying glass. As for storing the Timeshift snapshot on an external drive, said drive must be formatted to ext4 

gabs5807

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 02:53:22 pm »
On my linux system i trigger a rsnapshot via systemd. Sorry  :-[ - i did not find the description for that, but systemd could start jobs if an external device is pluged in. This should also be possible for harddisks attached on the PDA - i think  :D.
Amongst many other Computers and Phones i'm using a Gemini PDA WIFI+G4 and a Cosmo Communicator both with German keyboard, all with SailfishOS and Debian ;-)

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 03:27:48 pm »
Per its manual: a user can restore a timeshift snapshot via another linux machine as long as timeshift is installed on both machines.

Right now, I have a successful snapshot made of Gemian, with timeshift installed on both Gemian and another linux computer. But I can't seem to connect the two to bring up the Gemini partition.

I haven't yet set port forwarding on my router to enable ssh to the Gemini, but even if I could, I don't believe timeshift would see the Gem partition to overwrite it with the snapshot.

Jake
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 03:31:27 pm by jakfish »