Author Topic: How likely is Android 8 really?  (Read 11071 times)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How likely is Android 8 really?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2018, 01:05:05 pm »
I'd like to appeal to people to calm down please.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Murple2

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2018, 06:53:25 pm »
Quote from: speculatrix

Calm is a good plan.

Back to the topic at hand. I would say Planet are trying to get Android 8 working and they announced on Indiegogo (no less) that they would be releasing a 4.4 kernel. 4.4 is the minimum kernel support needed for Android 8 and newer, so if they successfully port the kernel to a newer version happy days. That seems like hard work to me, but Planet Computers seem willing to put the effort in.

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2018, 12:05:30 pm »
Quote from: Murple2
Quote from: speculatrix

Calm is a good plan.

Back to the topic at hand. I would say Planet are trying to get Android 8 working and they announced on Indiegogo (no less) that they would be releasing a 4.4 kernel. 4.4 is the minimum kernel support needed for Android 8 and newer, so if they successfully port the kernel to a newer version happy days. That seems like hard work to me, but Planet Computers seem willing to put the effort in.

--------------QUESTIONS-----------------

Can that kernel update be patched into existing Geminis?

If yes, will that kernel update also fix / update the old and worrisome Nov. 2017 Android Security patch to either the latest patch or close to it?

What might be a reasonable ETA for release of that kernel update?

Cheers!

Ifanafi

stfn

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2018, 03:25:00 pm »
All those speculations... Nobody contacted Planet? I did it for you (and myself)

While we are hoping to release an Android 8 update and we're quite positive this will happen, the support team is in no position to discuss this. As far as I am aware, Android 8.0 is already available for our chipsets with working drivers. It is only a matter of time for it to be modified accordingly and released for the Gemini's form factor.

Sit back and relax. It will probably happen. We all know Planet is not good at communicating with it's customers, as we noticed during the crowdfund. Why should we expect to change that after they delivered?

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2018, 04:01:08 pm »
Quote from: stfn
All those speculations... Nobody contacted Planet? I did it for you (and myself)

great move, I'm glad someone decided to try the obvious  
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2018, 08:53:57 am »
I saw this earlier today: https://techtablets.com/2018/09/chuwi-hi9-p...hipad-launched/

"Chuwi Hi9 Plus & Chuwi HiPad Launched with MediaTek Helio X27 CPUs" ... "The Chuwi HiPad comes with Android 8.0 Oreo out of the box"

It would be useful to know what kernel version it comes with.

It might be good news, because it means that Oreo runs on the same CPU/GPU as the Gemini.

Dixit

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2018, 01:09:49 pm »
On October 5th we all received update #63.

It clearly states that Android 7.1.1 will be out very soon and that Android 8 Oreo Cookie is also under development. There even is a screenshot.

This gives some confidence - I was happy with this update.

covex

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2018, 11:31:56 am »
This is the advantage of Gemini - when Android will go EOL, you may have a possibility to install Linux. It could be that by that time the LineageOS or SailifisOS are also an option. The lifetime of 2 years is a deadly pace, what is worse the phones and the Android is getting only one year period. I used to have all the phones and computers 5+ years, i can not imagine to switch the phone every year or two just because there is a new model with more camera lenses. This is insane consumption - it costs a lot of time and also the electro-junk that is produced by this... I used the HP Jornada 720 for 6 years when it was already 5 years old when I bought it used (Jornada 720. I waited from that time for something like Gemini and choosen it because it seems to aim for more than those 2y time frame that all the "top" smartphones live. Just remember - it is upon us to develop it further, as it was upon us to fund the initial development.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 11:33:36 am by covex »
Gemini PDA 4G, MTK Helio x27, keyboard layout CZ, Gemini-7.1-Planet-08102018-V2

jerome

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2018, 02:58:22 am »
Quote from: covex
it seems to aim for more than those 2y time frame that all the "top" smartphones live.

Unless they are from Apple. The latest iOS still supports the 5s, which is 5 years old.  

But: yes, you are right. Android phones seem to be supported for 2-3 years max and often a lot less. Lineage extends that a bit (I am still using a Samsung tablet which was orphaned by its manufacturer right after I bought it thanks to Lineage).