Author Topic: V1 Vs V2 Differences  (Read 4374 times)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
V1 Vs V2 Differences
« on: February 16, 2017, 07:08:03 am »
It appears that GPD did some improvements and came our with a V2. It has a different eMMC, better fitting buttons and a slightly different case - matte finish.

However, reports from HotUkDeals suggests some people have been unlucky in getting a chimera, which is part old and part new version.

The old model's eMMC is supposedly slightly faster but it shouldn't make a difference in the real world.

So if you're buying one, it's worth checking which version you're getting, especially if buying used.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 07:09:06 am by speculatrix »
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
V1 Vs V2 Differences
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 08:38:21 am »
V2 (which is said to be the one of the 10th January batch) also has a new CPU: a Z8750, instead of the Z8700 previously used. The new CPU is barely better than the older one though, so not much of a difference here. What's interesting is that the Z8750 was the initially targeted CPU, they switched to the Z8700 before going into production because of unspecified problems, they have probably solved them by now.

http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-windows-d...e-the-z8750/15/

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
V1 Vs V2 Differences
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 08:54:53 am »
I read that they stopped using the Z8750 during prototyping because of stability problems. I guess they finally resolved the problem.

I'll speculate that the higher performance device needed more power, generating higher transients, and that caused the power rails voltages to glitch in some way.

Modern processors really hammer the power supplies each time the clock ticks, and there's a lot of power conditioning to stop glitches causing the CPUs from locking up.

But like I said, this is pure speculation (and speculation is kind of my middle name ;-)
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
V1 Vs V2 Differences
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 09:17:09 am »
Quote from: speculatrix
But like I said, this is pure speculation (and speculation is kind of my middle name ;-)
It is at least in your nickname for sure

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!