Author Topic: Android v25 Firmware  (Read 7000 times)

Stardust21

• View Profile
Android v25 Firmware
« on: June 01, 2023, 10:08:08 am »
Is anyone using an unrooted version of the v25 firmware:
https://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Rooted_Android_For_Cosmo

If so, how did you get it?

Thanks

Zarhan

• View Profile
Re: Android v25 Firmware
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 12:35:32 pm »
With the "standard" OTA update. They never bothered to publish the V25 on the support site...

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 01:45:00 pm »
If you need to be running unrooted, see at the bottom of that page:

> Please note that the firmware will be rooted only when selecting ROOTED_ANDROID boot when starting the phone. If you select NORMAL boot, then the standard Android will be started.

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 04:50:28 pm »
The OTA update doesn't work for me, it says there are no updates or something to that effect. I didn't notice you could run the rooted version in an unrooted mode. I don't suppose you know if installing the rooted firmware affects the warranty in anyway? It normally does but then manufacturers don't normally offer it themselves.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 04:58:23 pm »
At this point, I'd recommend contacting Planet. The "rooted" image is just for the boot partition, not the entire OS image. Tell them that you were able to get V23 from support site but cannot upgrade to V25 since OTA is not working, and ask for the image (and better yet, have then upload it to the support site). Would be nice if they'd just add it to the list here, https://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Cosmo_Android_Firmware_Manual_Installation - but guess not...

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 05:47:04 pm »
I've contacted planet over a week ago but they haven't responded, might email them again. If all else fails I might look at the rooted V25.

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2023, 04:01:05 pm »
Has anyone used the rooted V25? I've downloaded it and was tempted to give it a go but it's less than 10MB where the V23 one is 3.9GB. There's also only two files in the zip.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 03:32:02 am »
Has anyone used the rooted V25? I've downloaded it and was tempted to give it a go but it's less than 10MB where the V23 one is 3.9GB. There's also only two files in the zip.

I'm using it, but as I said, that 10 MB image is *just* the bootloader. The difference between "rooted" and "unrooted" is just the contents of the boot partition.

I upgraded to V25 via the OTA upgrade, but apparently that does not work anymore.

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2023, 05:42:47 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's just the bootloader, doesn't that mean there's no way for me to upgrade to V25 right now, because I don't have an image for it and the OTA doesn't work?

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2023, 07:10:01 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's just the bootloader, doesn't that mean there's no way for me to upgrade to V25 right now, because I don't have an image for it and the OTA doesn't work?

You are correct. That's why I suggested that you'd contact Planet and ask them to either 1) Fix the OTA upgrades or 2) Provide the full V25 image via support site.

(Even better would be if they would bother to upgrade the software, but Android 9 is end-of-life and upgrading to newer Androids probably won't happen).

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 08:40:09 am »
Oh ok, I nearly wiped it yesterday good job I didn't. I have contacted Planet twice but they don't respond. The Cosmo was supposed to get Android 11 once they'd had the experience of implementing it on the Astro, I think Planet are a bit short staffed to do it though.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2023, 10:33:08 am »
Oh ok, I nearly wiped it yesterday good job I didn't. I have contacted Planet twice but they don't respond. The Cosmo was supposed to get Android 11 once they'd had the experience of implementing it on the Astro, I think Planet are a bit short staffed to do it though.

How exactly did you contact Planet? If you send mail to hello@planetcom.co.uk, you should at least get the Zendesk automatic reply about a created ticket. That way I've always gotten responses.

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2023, 09:22:26 am »
I contacted them at hello@planetcom.co.uk and got a Zendesk response on both occasions. I assume my query is not straightforward which is why they are not replying. Can I ask how long they normally take to get back to you in your case?

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2023, 09:26:35 am »
I contacted them at hello@planetcom.co.uk and got a Zendesk response on both occasions. I assume my query is not straightforward which is why they are not replying. Can I ask how long they normally take to get back to you in your case?

Well, my last contact was regarding the battery and well, according to my inbox, Zendesk autoreply received at
Thu, 26 Jan 2023 10:56:27
Paul E. Pinnock replied at Thu, 26 Jan 2023 12:59:14

Before that I asked about Astro protection pack shipping, Zendesk reply at
Tue, 15 Nov 2022 12:14:32
Paul's response at Tue, 15 Nov 2022 15:48:04

So only a few hours...

Stardust21

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2023, 10:01:36 am »
Oh ok interesting.