Author Topic: /home Full C3100 Help!  (Read 7953 times)

DoTheDog

• View Profile
/home Full C3100 Help!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 12:34:36 am »
Here is the ls -RF |grep / results. bad characters and all. I:m not sure why it is doing this. I used your jaen ipk so that I could have both Japanese and English working. It works for most stuff. The translator has been a godsend. But for whatever reason the qconsole (and the terminal app as well~ don't like Japanese for some reason...

# ls -RF |grep /
Applications/
Settings/
./Applications:
Contents/
IR/
ImageNote_Files/
MusicPlayer/
Network/
addressbook/
dtm/
helpbrowser/
netfront3/
qtmail/
todolist/
./Applications/Contents:
TOEIC® 鐓�鐔緒�/
�����/
�鴻���若��/
���潟�����若��/
絎����沿�/
絎����鐓�鐔種�鐓�鐔�
�㏍���鐓�鐔逸�鐓�鐔醐�/
./Applications/Contents/TOEIC® 鐓�鐔緒�:
weekly TOEIC���鴻�� mini-training/
./Applications/Contents/TOEIC® 鐓�鐔緒�/weekly TOEIC���鴻�� mini-training:
./Applications/Contents/�����:
./Applications/Contents/�鴻���若��:
羆��c��綽��������潟�����若�潟�鴻�ゃ�潟�謂��������5/
羆��c��綽����莊居��激�с�����<�ゃ��������4鐔���膈����沿�����/
./Applications/Contents/�鴻���若��/羆��c��綽��������潟�����若�潟�鴻�ゃ�潟�謂��������5:
./Applications/Contents/�鴻���若��/羆��c��綽����莊居��激�с�����<�ゃ��������4鐔���膈����沿�����:
./Applications/Contents/���潟�����若��:
./Applications/Contents/絎����沿�:
./Applications/Contents/絎����鐓�鐔種�鐓�鐔�
���㏍�吾�с����X/
./Applications/Contents/絎����鐓�鐔種�鐓�鐔����㏍�吾�с����X:
./Applications/Contents/�㏍���鐓�鐔逸�鐓�鐔醐�:
./Applications/IR:
modules/
./Applications/IR/modules:
./Applications/ImageNote_Files:
./Applications/MusicPlayer:
./Applications/Network:
modules/
./Applications/Network/modules:
./Applications/addressbook:
./Applications/dtm:
./Applications/helpbrowser:
./Applications/netfront3:
cache/
plugins/
./Applications/netfront3/cache:
./Applications/netfront3/plugins:
./Applications/qtmail:
./Applications/todolist:
./Settings:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 12:36:25 am by DoTheDog »
Z sl-c3100, Planex GW-CF11X Wifi, Home made docking station (4 port powered hub, 60GB 2.5" HD, Belkin Wired USB 10/100 Ethernet card), Belkin F8T003 ver 2.11 BT USB Dongle
Stock Sharp ROM, Tetsu's special kernel v18b, Lots of stuff gleaned off of Meanie's Incredible Site! Debian PocketWorkstation.
Z2 sl-c1000, OZ 3.5.4.1 GPE - Trying to make it a PlutoHome Orbiter

xfaethorx

• View Profile
/home Full C3100 Help!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 03:14:03 pm »
is there a replacement for th cp command that supports the copying of symbolic links as the default one DOESNT if we can find one we can successfully copy all the home directories to larger storage and just simlink to it!

bluedevils

• View Profile
    • http://
/home Full C3100 Help!
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 04:39:20 pm »
why wouldn't you be able to use tar?  That preserves symlinks.
I'm now an iphone user and use my zaurii as serial terminals, perl and shell scripting and when I need 640x480 screens

sl-c3100/pda cacko 1.23 | sl-6000l/needs battery | sl-c760/server pdaxrom rc12 | Former sl-5500/tkcrom owner (sister's birthday gift)

xfaethorx

• View Profile
/home Full C3100 Help!
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 03:06:49 am »
i think mv does as well, the bottom line is you could move quite a bit of /home safely over to the HDD or SD card as long as the symlinks are maintained. I'm a bit reluctant to mv a directory incase I break something .

Point is you could move /home/ in its entrity to /hdd3 and symlink to it . Sure that will mean the HDD is doing more work than usual and you may consider using an SD card instead as that then means less moving parts, so less performance for your HDD to do.

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
/home Full C3100 Help!
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2005, 06:59:29 am »
i think mv does as well, the bottom line is you could move quite a bit of /home safely over to the HDD or SD card as long as the symlinks are maintained. I'm a bit reluctant to mv a directory incase I break something .

Point is you could move /home/ in its entrity to /hdd3 and symlink to it . Sure that will mean the HDD is doing more work than usual and you may consider using an SD card instead as that then means less moving parts, so less performance for your HDD to do.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94035\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

It isnt that bad, actually it is   This is the situation on the C3000. /home is only 4MB and almost everything lives on the microdrive.

Btw, what is in /hdd1 and /hdd2? I guess only directories and symlinks?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 07:02:43 am by Meanie »
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

DoTheDog

• View Profile
/home Full C3100 Help!
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2005, 12:57:12 am »
Hey Meanie,
Not sure, on /hdd1 there is a .sys directory. Inside that directory there are two files:
hdimage2.tgz and hdlist1.dat all in about 3K is all. On /hdd2 same .sys directory with nothing in it. Seems a waste of 19MB...

Rob
Z sl-c3100, Planex GW-CF11X Wifi, Home made docking station (4 port powered hub, 60GB 2.5" HD, Belkin Wired USB 10/100 Ethernet card), Belkin F8T003 ver 2.11 BT USB Dongle
Stock Sharp ROM, Tetsu's special kernel v18b, Lots of stuff gleaned off of Meanie's Incredible Site! Debian PocketWorkstation.

xfaethorx

• View Profile
/home Full C3100 Help!
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2005, 04:02:17 am »

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94035\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

It isnt that bad, actually it is   This is the situation on the C3000. /home is only 4MB and almost everything lives on the microdrive.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94078\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

meanie.. I'm not sure but HDD1 and HDD2 look like other partitions either way they only hold the lost+found directories on my C3100..

i guess I'm going to have to do an mv on a bunch of directroies and see what happens !

DoTheDog

• View Profile
/home Full C3100 Help!
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2005, 10:25:44 pm »
xfaethorx, did you succeed in moving stuff to your hard drive from your /home dir? Let me know if it worked and what you moved/linked.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94078\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

meanie.. I'm not sure but HDD1 and HDD2 look like other partitions either way they only hold the lost+found directories on my C3100..

i guess I'm going to have to do an mv on a bunch of directroies and see what happens !
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94242\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

xfaethorx

• View Profile
/home Full C3100 Help!
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2005, 04:40:19 am »
xfaethorx, did you succeed in moving stuff to your hard drive from your /home dir? Let me know if it worked and what you moved/linked.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=94242\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95750\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

the HDD is fat so it wont maintain the symlinks you'd have to convert part of or if not all of your drive to compensate for that.

I managed to move some applications over , thunderbird , firefox and abiword but it copies the symlink as a file so it'll make it bigger on the HDD if your bothered.

I did this BEFORE i finally got my hands on mkcramfs.

I've used mkcramfs since to cram the java of blackdown and a few other bits and bats.

I think the best thing for people to do is to look at what your installing, decide wether or not the install directory well NEVER be written to and then

1. cram it if you can and mount it at boot time.

2. if you can't cram it see if you can move it! thing is here if you want proper symlinks convert your HDD , i haven't I need to do more reading before I start breaking shit on here. So the rule of thumb here is you can symlink TO the directory  from say /home to /hdd3 but you CANT put a symlink INSIDE that directory so be careful with what you move! Look at the directory structure before you move it. TBH i did a copy first and symlinked to it, tested ALL functionailty and then completed the "move" by removing the backed up directory!