Author Topic: Mobile data in Debian (T-Mobile USA)  (Read 6201 times)

ehasbrouck

• View Profile
    • The Practical Nomad
Mobile data in Debian (T-Mobile USA)
« on: October 07, 2019, 10:18:15 pm »
After flashing the latest (I think) Debian updates, I seem to be getting closer to having mobile data working in Debian -- but not quite.

Maybe someone can suggest how to make it work.

I have a dual-boot Gemini with rooted Android (with Googleware) and Debian, and a T-Mobile USA 4G data SIM (with mobile data, a phone number, and SMS but no voice calling services).

4G mobile data and SMS sending and receiving work perfectly in Android (the Android version bundled with Googleware).

In Debian, the "Messaging" and "Phone" appas are installed. "Phone" doesn't work, of course -- not supported by this SIM. "Messaging" can send and receive plain-text SMS messages, but not MMS messages. (Perhaps this means that MMS messages are actually transmitted over mobile data, which isn't working?)

Connman has a "Mobile" tab, which shows only one "SIM Selection" option , "/ril_0".

The "Powered" and "Online" boxes are ticked for the selected SIM. "2G/3G/4G (fastest)" is ticked for connection type.

Under "Cellular", the box for "Powered" is ticked, but not the next box, "Mobile Data". If I tick this "Mobile Data" box, I get a popup:

CMST Warning

We received a DBUS reply message indicating an error.

Error Name: net.connman.Error.InvalidService

Error Message: Invalid service

Is anyone else using a T-Mobile USA data SIM in Debian on a Gemini? Any suggestions for what I should do to fix or diagnose this failure? Thanks in advance fior any guidance.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 10:19:00 pm by ehasbrouck »
current devices: Gemini PDA / Panasonic Let’s Note CF-RZ6
former devices: Psion netBook, 5mx, Revo Plus / Panasonic Let’s Note CF-J10, CF-R7 /  Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 / Asus Eee PC 901 / Gateway 2000 Handbook 486

mibry

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 02:43:02 am »
Quote from: ehasbrouck
Snip

Have a look here https://github.com/gemian/gemini-keyboard-a...DebuggingMobile. Towards the bottom there is a section about ofono scripts. I had to use that approach to get mobile data to work on linux.

ehasbrouck

• View Profile
    • The Practical Nomad
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 10:18:02 am »
Quote from: mibry
Have a look here https://github.com/gemian/gemini-keyboard-a...DebuggingMobile. Towards the bottom there is a section about ofono scripts. I had to use that approach to get mobile data to work on linux.

Thanks. I looked at that, but was unsure what settings to use.

Is anyone using a T-Mobile USA SIM (especially a data SIM without voice service) on their Gemini? What settings needed to be made through ofono-scripts? Here are the current settings:

$ cd /usr/share/ofono/scripts
/usr/share/ofono/scripts$ ./list-contexts
[ /ril_0 ]
    [ /ril_0/context1 ]
        Settings = { }
        Active = 0
        IPv6.Settings = { }
        AccessPointName = internet
        Type = internet
        Password =
        Name = Internet
        Username =
        Protocol = dual
        AuthenticationMethod = none

[ /ril_0/context2 ]
        Settings = { }
        Active = 0
        IPv6.Settings = { }
        Password =
        MessageCenter =
        AccessPointName = mms
        Type = mms
        Name = MMS
        Username =
        Protocol = ip
        MessageProxy =
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 10:21:40 pm by ehasbrouck »
former devices: Psion netBook, 5mx, Revo Plus / Panasonic Let’s Note CF-J10, CF-R7 /  Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 / Asus Eee PC 901 / Gateway 2000 Handbook 486

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 03:09:18 am »
Settings = { }
        Active = 0
        IPv6.Settings = { }
        AccessPointName = internet
        Type = internet
        Password =
        Name = Internet
        Username =
        Protocol = dual
I'm pretty sure that at least the AccessPointName setting is wrong. The APN must be set to the correct server, which is different for each operator, and each operator might use two or more APNs depending on the type of contract of their customers. From what I have found online, fast.t-mobile.com seems to be the correct one for the US T-Mobile, with the username and password correctly left blank (and hence AuthenticationMethod seems to be correctly set to none, this might be for the PAP/CHAP authentication which some carriers still require). You can check that the APN is correct by looking at your settings on the Android side. Also, I'd try to set Active to 1, this might also be required.

Regarding MMSes I have not found a dedicated APN for them, so I guess they might work with the data APN. I have seen a setting for the MMS service center (MMSC), which is http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc, not sure where that should be set in the config file above though.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:10:23 am by Varti »
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

ehasbrouck

• View Profile
    • The Practical Nomad
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 12:35:22 pm »
Thanks, Varti! This helped me get mobile data at least partially (mostly?) working.

In case anyone else is trying this, here is what I did:

1.  Downloaded and copied "serviceproviders.xml" to /usr/share/mobile-broadband-provider-info/serviceproviders.xml following instructions at https://github.com/gemian/gemini-keyboard-a...DebuggingMobile

I don't know if this was necessary. I has to create this directory and copy the file from the command line as root; I haven't figured out how to run PCManFM as root on the Gemini.

2. Set APN:
Code: [Select]
cd /usr/share/ofono/scripts
./set-context-property 0 AccessPointName fast.t-mobile.com

3. Activate this profile:
./activate-context 1
I haven't found any documentation of the ofono scripts -- I had to guess at which were used to set which parameters.

I was able to set the MMS service center with:
./set-mms-details none http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/wapenc
This now shows up with "./list-contexts", but MMS sending and receiving still don't work. This is not critical for me, most of the time, but is annoying, especially because some (all?) iPhones seem to send all text messages by MMS not MMS, even if the messages are straight text without attachments. So I don;t receive text messages from some contacts' iPhones.

I now have mobile data working in Debian, at least on my home network (T-Moble USA). I'll be travelling aborad next month, and will find out if roaming data (critical for me) works.

Strangely, the "Mobile Data" tab in Connman still has both the "Mobile Data" and "Roaming Data" boxes under "Mobile Data" un-checked, even while connected.  ("Mobile Data" *is* now checked in the top "Cellular" box in Connman.)

The Gemini connects automagically to cellular data if I reboot into Debian, or if reboot into Android and than reboot back into Debian.

I don't know how to set which services (e.g. Wi-Fi and/or celluar data) start at boot, or how to prioritize which connection is used. But on my cellular data plan, this isn't usually an issue -- I have unlimited cellular data, even while roaming in most countries, so I don't usually need to switch to, or prioritize, Wi-Fi.

Meaanwhile, I got a follow-up message form Planetcom support saying that they don't know how to enable cellular data in Linux, and don't support Linux on the Gemini.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 12:37:44 pm by ehasbrouck »

Adam Boardman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 07:38:41 pm »
The Gemini connects automagically to cellular data if I reboot into Debian, or if reboot into Android and than reboot back into Debian.

I tried to set the priority for cheapest connection first:
https://github.com/gemian/connman/commit/a8...a0b773b3d7217fb

You should also find from the lock screen (backer world map) has shortcuts to enable/disable bt,wifi,cellular,torch (ctrl-b, ctrl-w, ctrl-c, ctrl-t) these should also quickly indicate their status on the external LED that shows the status of these subsystems.

Meganerd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 10:19:28 am »
Do you still need help with this? I am using Debian and ofono on TMo. Data, SMS, calling working. Albiet calling can bug out so not really usable.

tac

• View Profile
Re: Mobile data in Debian (T-Mobile USA)
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 12:35:59 pm »
How did you get mms working.  I got Data, Voice and Text working but when I attempt to activate the mms context it says it is not supported.