Author Topic: I'm using my gemini!  (Read 3156 times)

gemini

• View Profile
I'm using my gemini!
« on: January 24, 2020, 04:33:39 pm »
Hi guys,

Let me explain what I want first. I have a Raspberry Pi sitting in a cupboard.  I use it for mail and as a media center PC.  It runs Kodi and it pretty much works exactly the way I want it to. My Gemini has been sitting on my desk for about a year. I took it out yesterday and installed Gemian on it.  My intention was to use it to replace the Raspberry pi. It is a super machine and in principle should do everything I need.  The problem is that the Gemini needs to be plugged in all the time so the left hand plug is used.  The right hand plug needs to accommodate the HDMI cable to run the projector. I am now out of plugs.  I need to plug in an Ethernet cable somehow.

My options (1) give up and get a Pi4 (2) Run some kind of HDMI over Ethernet extender ( and a USB over Ethernet ) into the living room and just use that for movie night instead of the Gemini. (3) figure out how to use Ethernet over HDMI with a splitter to get the Gemini to do both mail and run the projector.  

I am most interested in solution 3.  How do I do that?  What hardware do I need? Is this practical?

BTW what's up with buster on Gemini?

spook

• View Profile
I'm using my gemini!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 08:09:09 pm »
I don't like your chances! One thing I prefer on the Cosmo over the Gemini is the ability to charge from both sides. I think you can also charge through a USB hub on the RH side (actually - I had better double check that). It gives you more options than the Gemini.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm using my gemini!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 02:22:24 am »
What about using an (old) wifi router, placing it near the Gemini, connecting the Ethernet cable to it and the Gemini to the router via Wifi?

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

gemini

• View Profile
I'm using my gemini!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 06:17:13 am »
Quote from: Varti
What about using an (old) wifi router, placing it near the Gemini, connecting the Ethernet cable to it and the Gemini to the router via Wifi?

Varti
I don't like using WiFi on a server. Actually I don't like it at all but what can you do?  I'm working on what I think will be a better solution.

Dewcal

• View Profile
I'm using my gemini!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 03:24:11 am »
Quote from: gemini
Hi guys,

Let me explain what I want first. I have a Raspberry Pi sitting in a cupboard.  I use it for mail and as a media center PC.  It runs Kodi and it pretty much works exactly the way I want it to. My Gemini has been sitting on my desk for about a year. I took it out yesterday and installed Gemian on it.  My intention was to use it to replace the Raspberry pi. It is a super machine and in principle should do everything I need.  The problem is that the Gemini needs to be plugged in all the time so the left hand plug is used.  The right hand plug needs to accommodate the HDMI cable to run the projector. I am now out of plugs.  I need to plug in an Ethernet cable somehow.

My options (1) give up and get a Pi4 (2) Run some kind of HDMI over Ethernet extender ( and a USB over Ethernet ) into the living room and just use that for movie night instead of the Gemini. (3) figure out how to use Ethernet over HDMI with a splitter to get the Gemini to do both mail and run the projector.  

I am most interested in solution 3.  How do I do that?  What hardware do I need? Is this practical?

BTW what's up with buster on Gemini?

Not sure if this will help but I use a MACALLY (part UC3HUB4C) in the left-hand port of my Cosmo which allows pass through power and four USB 3 ports.