Author Topic: Screen Protector  (Read 2294 times)

steeph

• View Profile
    • http://
Screen Protector
« on: January 12, 2023, 12:38:46 pm »
tl;dr: Screen Protectors made for the Samsung Galaxy A53 fit very well on the Astro Slide screen.

I went to two stores in search of a screen protector (a proper one, not just some foil that holds back minor scratches) for the Astro Slide. Obviously both didn't have one made for the specific device. The person at the first shop refused to recommend or look up any similar-sized screens because it would not fit, block the speakers, block the camera. I would have accepted all of that or even a protector that was too small (but still protect more than half of the screen). He said there are no phones with even similar screen sizes.

The second shop took a long look at the Astro Slide and chose a screen protector made for the Galaxy A53. And he was right. It covers all of the display, but not the camera or speaker; it doesn't have a cutout or notch; it doesn't protude; it's not too short. It looks good. Specifically, I got an "ISY IPG-5148-2.5D" (Article 2107521 at MediaMarkt in Germany).

But make sure to first remove the protection foil the Astro Slide comes with.

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
Re: Screen Protector
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 08:40:35 am »
Thanks for the tip, but I don't quite understand. It looks like the Samsung Galaxy A53 has a centered holepunch camera. If your screen protector has no cutouts, was it supposed to cover this? Or does it stop below where the camera would be? I'm just wondering in case other screen protectors made for that model could be longer than yours. Could you maybe add a photo?

From a little Googling, it looks like that one's glass. I'd be looking for a plastic one myself - the phone is already very thick! 😛

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 09:24:57 am »
Stepping back a bit: what's the use case for a screen protector?

I never used a protector on my Gemini (nor for various Psions before that), as the screen is not exposed when closed — and I never suffered any screen damage while open. I'm taking similar care with my Astro: it lives in my trouser pocket (screen inward), and since I never put anything else in that pocket, I expect it to be perfectly safe. And when it's in my hands or on the desk, I can't see it being in any more danger than any other device.

I've encountered a screen protector on someone else's phone, and found it an annoyance, with reduced sensitivity and increased friction.

Given that the Astro uses Gorilla Glass, which is tough and scratch-resistant, would I see any real benefit to covering it with a protector?
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 10:08:39 am »
Paranoia, basically. I also treat devices/screens extremely well - to the point that I never use a case, am very picky about the surfaces I set it down on, and likewise have a dedicated phone-only pocket; yet I've twice encountered a mystery scratch eventually appear on the screen of previous devices, despite them having gorilla glass. I suspect a particularly hard stray particle made its way into my pocket somehow.

With the folding form factor of the Gemini and Cosmo, I was actually more paranoid about those. When closed, the keys press hard against the screen, and rub ever so slightly, so if such a particle capable of scratching the screen were to make its way in between, I reckon it'd make a scratch a lot easier than just being in my pocket adjacent to a screen.

I kept the not-great-but-barely-adequate factory screen protectors on my Gemini and Cosmo for a long time. I eventually replaced the Gemini's one with a better one, but hadn't yet got around to it for the Cosmo. In both cases, the factory screen protector picked up significant scuff marks from the keys. I'm sure glass would be less inclined to scuff like this, but that's what I'd been trying to avoid impacting something that's costly to replace:

Hmm, I've never noticed a difference in sensitivity or friction. Perhaps that's to do with the particular screen protector. Initially, there is increased friction, but that's the case with a new screen as well. Rubbery or matte screen protectors don't feel good - I go for the shiny hard plastic ones.

Otherwise, I've heard from others that a screen protector provides a little shatter protection; but I've not had to put that to the test!

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 10:25:22 am »
Thanks, I'm reassured :)

In both cases, the factory screen protector picked up significant scuff marks from the keys. I'm sure glass would be less inclined to scuff like this

Yes; in my experience, the Gemini's keyboard has no permanent effect on its bare screen. (It often showed faint marks from the keys — but they always wiped straight off, leaving no trace, even after 5 years of continuous use.) I guess that shouldn't be a surprise, given that one is toughened glass and the other medium-soft plastic.

I've never noticed a difference in sensitivity or friction. Perhaps that's to do with the particular screen protector.

Maybe so. (Are you will have gathered, I have almost no experience with screen protectors, so I can't tell whether that one was particular cheap or badly made… just that I'd certainly find it very noticeable, and not in a good way!)
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

wovoja

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 03:37:14 am »
Why do you search for a screen protector? My Astro has one delivered good fixed on the set from China/PC in August 2022 and that still has no scratch or any mark on its outer edges.
I got some offers for a Astro screen protector via eMail in the meantime after searching via Google for an Astro sreen protector - Google does not forget nearly anything...

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 05:53:29 am »
Why do you search for a screen protector? My Astro has one delivered good fixed on the set from China/PC in August 2022 and that still has no scratch or any mark on its outer edges.
I got some offers for a Astro screen protector via eMail in the meantime after searching via Google for an Astro sreen protector - Google does not forget nearly anything...
Then there seem to be differences. My Astro did not come with a screen protector on, just the thin printed foil. But screen protectors are available cheaply on amazon or ebay.