Author Topic: Screen selected for the Astro  (Read 3165 times)

gymbo

• View Profile
Screen selected for the Astro
« on: July 27, 2020, 01:07:22 pm »
Planet Computers have now selected the screen for the Astro:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/astro-slide-5g-transformer/x/17943959#/updates/all

(Link correct at time of posting, you might have to find the 26th of July update, as they add more updates.)

Small excerpt from the update:

It is a 6.65" AMOLED display!

The display resolution is 2340 x 1080 pixels.

I interpret it as, although the screen is bigger than originally proposed, the overall size of the Astro should not change...

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Screen selected for the Astro
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 11:31:08 am »
You can link to a specific update on Indiegogo by changing the all in the URL with the update's progressive number, you'll need to guess it though since it's not written anywhere. In this case it's the update number 56:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/astro-slide-5g-transformer#/updates/56

Varti
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 11:32:58 am by Varti »
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 12:21:36 pm »
I interpret it as, although the screen is bigger than originally proposed, the overall size of the Astro should not change...
I agree. The 2160 x 1080 resolution of the Cosmo and Gemini screens, gives them an aspect ratio of 2:1 (but I'm going to use the more common 18:9) "units". Phytagoras gives a diagonal of SQR(18^2 + 9^2) or about 20.12 "units". Knowing those "units" equals 5.99", we can divide the inches by the number of diagonal "units" and multiply with 18 to get the width, or by 9 to get the heigth, which then, if desired, can be multiplied by 25.4 to mm, which would give an active area of:

5.99" / SQR(18^2 + 9^2) * 18 * 25.4 = 136mm
5.99" / SQR(18^2 + 9^2) * 9 * 25.4 = 68.0mm
Measuring my Cosmo with a ruler, that seems about right. The outer dimensions of the actual display module is, of course, a tad bigger.

The 2340 x 1080 resolution of the Astro, gives it an aspect ratio of 2.1666…:1 = 19.5:9, and it has a diagonal of 6.65", so if we plug in those numbers instead, we get an active area of:

6.65" / SQR(19.5^2 + 9^2) * 19.5 * 25.4 = 153mm
6.65" / SQR(19.5^2 + 9^2) * 9 * 25.4 = 70.8mm
Again, the actual display module is, of course, a tad bigger.

While the particular OLED screen chosen by Planet probably is flat, given that OLED screens exists, that can partially wrap around the long edges of the device, we know it is possible to make OLED screens where the width of the display module, is virtually the same as that of the active area, so, to me, it seems the Astro display chosen by Planet, probably would fit within the 171.4 x 79.3mm footprint of the current devices, and maybe even with in the 164 x 76.6mm preliminary footprint (from the crowdfunding) of the Astro, though, as the Gemini and Cosmo keyboards are 164mm wide, I'd guess that preliminary width was ever only a placeholder. The current keyboards are 70mm tall, so that might fit within the preliminary 76.6mm, given that the Astro probably won't need any magnets (so, maybe, finally, there will be a working compass) and will have its hinge stuffed under, rather than to one side of, the keyboard.

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 03:05:42 pm »
While the particular OLED screen chosen by Planet probably is flat, given that OLED screens exists, that can partially wrap around the long edges of the device, we know it is possible to make OLED screens where the width of the display module, is virtually the same as that of the active area, so, to me, it seems the Astro display chosen by Planet, probably would fit within the 171.4 x 79.3mm footprint of the current devices, and maybe even with in the 164 x 76.6mm preliminary footprint (from the crowdfunding) of the Astro, though, as the Gemini and Cosmo keyboards are 164mm wide, I'd guess that preliminary width was ever only a placeholder. The current keyboards are 70mm tall, so that might fit within the preliminary 76.6mm, given that the Astro probably won't need any magnets (so, maybe, finally, there will be a working compass) and will have its hinge stuffed under, rather than to one side of, the keyboard.
Yeah, I was thinking, in the term of keyboard-size: It should be possible (and preferable??) to have the same size, layout etc. for the keyboard, as on Gemini and Cosmo (although Gemini/Cosmo probably, except for the direct size and layout, are at least somewhat different, due to the backlit keyboard of the Cosmo), which again should make it easier for Planet to keep supporting the Cosmo (at least) for a longer time, hardware-wise. I wouldn't want the keyboard getting smaller (or bigger), other than that, I don't really care much about the size of the Astro. But nice if they could use more of the real-estate for the screen without increasing the overall size...

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 01:30:03 pm »
Per Astro update today, screen size is now a tiny bit smaller. It's now 6.39 inch.

They did change spec to 'Gorilla Glass'.

So it goes.
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/