Author Topic: The Astro Accessories  (Read 2983 times)

Daniel W

• View Profile
The Astro Accessories
« on: April 27, 2021, 09:28:44 am »
In Astro update #28, a bunch of accessories, now available on the Astro Indiegogo page, were announced. Does anyone here recognize the active pen? I can't imagine Planet Computers had a brand new model developed just for them. I'd rather presume they've put their branding on some existing model.

I have sent an e-mail to Planet, asking for specifications on the pen, such as size, weight, how it's charged, battery runtime, standby time, tip diameter etc, to help me determine whether their pen would be a suitable upgrade from my current pen (an Adonit Dash 3). I will, of course, share any answer from them here.

As I don't really expect to get that much useful information from them, though, should someone here recognize the Planet pen as some existing model, I'd like to know, as that would make it easier for me, and others, to evaluate it. Otherwise, I might back it blindly, but I'd prefer to know a bit more about it, if possible.

Zarhan

• View Profile
Re: The Astro Accessories
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 11:29:06 am »
I'm pondering about getting the protector pack. I mean, it's clear plastic, and I'd prefer leather/rubber instead for better grip...

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 01:39:24 pm »
I'm pondering about getting the protector pack. I mean, it's clear plastic, and I'd prefer leather/rubber instead for better grip...

I would prefer a combination (which I have also stated on the Indiegogo-page) of the protective case and a leather "pouch" with a "flap" covering the screen (which would make it something else than a "pouch"...). I think it will be close to impossible to get a leather part produced in a way that keeps it attached to the bottom of the Astro without some kind of relatively rigid material (like the protective case) in that part. Should be quite easy to manufacture, don't see why it should be difficult to make such a leather case and attach it to the protective case, and it should not have to interfere with the opening and closing of the Astro when the leather case is open. If the flap could have an opening, or a "layer", that would allow for the use of at least a good part of the screen (or at least VIEW it), it could make the Astro usable, at least to some extent, with the leather case closed as well.

The Cosmo, with it's leather pouch, is now, at least to some extent, usable without taking it out of the pouch. So they manufacture a new phone, with the main screen on the outside, but then you can't use it AT ALL, unless you take it out of it's leather pouch? I would really not consider that "progress". So I would say this is something we need...

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 08:10:23 am »
Yes, some kind of flip case should be possible, basically the Astro clear case with an attached flap to cover the front of the device, a bit like the image below. There could be a sheet of clear plastic in the opening on the flap, such that it would still allow interaction with the touch screen. To avoid having to make a special GUI (we all know how that would go) to fit the opening, the window could cover most of the front, such that, at least, phone calls could be handled with the flap closed.

Such a design should make it possible to use the keyboard with the case still attached. On a table or similar, the flap would simply lay flat, behind the screen. I would like some means of keeping the flap reliably closed, such that it cannot open by accident, and thus fail its primary purpose, if the device is dropped with the case closed.

Redmi 6A Golden Згори
Nickispeaki, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 03:46:15 pm »
I have sent an e-mail to Planet, asking for specifications on the pen... I will, of course, share any answer from them... Otherwise, I might back it blindly.
Sixteen days later, no reply. I'm neither surprised nor upset. I suppose they don't know at this point and they are likely quite busy, trying to make the Astro happen ASAP. Anyway, as I am curious about how the Astro Active Stylus compares to my Adonit Dash 3 and I do want some case, even if rather basic, I just backed the "New Astro Accessories Pack".