Author Topic: Miscellaneous blogs mentioning the Gemini  (Read 21397 times)

vader

• View Profile
Miscellaneous blogs mentioning the Gemini
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2018, 09:43:54 pm »
I had a psion 3c (not the 5...), and even that was really a small laptop. It could basically do everything the contemporary computers could do except 3d games. The gemini really is a little laptop replacement. With linux, it has a full desktop operating system. In android form, it is a halfway - you can still use it for most things you would use a laptop for. I use it as my only device - I was an original backer and have had it for over 2 months. The keyboard has bedded in well, and is fast and accurate.

The geekbench results for the gemini place it in dual core i5 territory, which is more that fast enough for a laptop replacement for me. For example, the gemini is more than 50% faster than the GPD, 50% faster than an atom x5-z8500, and over twice an x5-8350. The atoms found in most tiny PCs (ie. stick PCs) still make viable PC replacements for on the go use, so by association, so does the gemini. Couple with linux for a full desktop experience. At the initial backer price, there isn't much better. Laptops in the price range are slower and invariably have less storage (32G). I'm sure you could search around and find a better one, but I don't need to anymore.

Granted, Aidan Bell's review shows the gemini is not for everyone but he was one of those people who it is perfect for. He said it the way he saw it, and probably drank the cool-aid early on. It is good he likes his gemini and tells people about it I think.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2018, 05:28:41 am »
if I simply wanted a pocketable computer that I would dock with keyboard, mouse and monitor at each location, I would buy into the Intel Compute Card ecosystem, or maybe the Infocus Kangaroo system. Being able to do a bunch of stuff on the move with a single device is what appeals to me. At the moment I use a folding bluetooth keyboard with my phone when I want to write a letter or document, but I have to make a specific effort to take it with me.
In this regard the Gemini is unique and special, even with its quirks and flaws. I don't care if people say that it has no use for them, but people who say it's pointless are living in a weird self-centred bubble if they can't admit it's highly desirable to specific people.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2018, 08:07:59 am »
@speculatrix well said!

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2018, 08:14:14 am »
Quote from: depscribe
the device would be much better if it were only a little bigger: the big battery, for instance; in my estimation for Linux usability a Trackpoint-style pointing device and three buttons. An extra half inch in height and width and an extra quarter inch in thickness would have given us twice the gadget.

I tend to disagree.

I have the experience of 20 years continuously carrying a Psion 5(mx) in my trouser pocket…  It's doable, but a bit bulky, and about the limit of what you'd want to carry that way.  (Having a large-enough pocket is one of my main criteria when buying trousers, as many don't!)

The Gemini is comparable to that: an unnoticeable mm or so longer, and a cm or so narrower and thinner.  That doesn't sound much difference, but the narrowness and especially thinness make the Gemini feel much less bulky and much more comfortable in the pocket.

In fact, the portability is one of the major reasons I've been using a 5mx this long: a device that's with you when you need it is more useful than another (however much more powerful) that's elsewhere.  If it takes 2 seconds to whip out a device, I'm much more likely to take notes, look stuff up, or whatever than if it takes 15 seconds and associated hassle.

So while a big battery would be an improvement, I wouldn't want it if it added significantly to the size.

As for a trackpad, I'm not (yet) using it for Linux, so I can't judge.  But from what I hear, can't you use the screen for that?
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Allografter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2018, 04:23:03 pm »

jdcard

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2018, 09:33:54 pm »
Most important to me is the ability to have a usable computer always with me. The Gemini accomplishes that at a cost I could afford. It has its shortcomings and frustrations, some of which I've discussed at http://jdcard.com/LivingWithGemini.html, but overall I am pleased with what I got.

jornada720

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 10:03:11 am »
Quote from: jdcard
Most important to me is the ability to have a usable computer always with me. The Gemini accomplishes that at a cost I could afford. It has its shortcomings and frustrations, some of which I've discussed at http://jdcard.com/LivingWithGemini.html, but overall I am pleased with what I got.

I just read your review and was curious why you use a mouse with your Gemini. It severely limits the portability of it, doesn't it?

Jos

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2018, 06:41:25 pm »
Over the years i had many different divices. From Pocket PC diveces to what ever there was on the matket. Call it a hobby. The best machine i had was the Psion Mx5 till the damn cable died. Putting it in the inside pocket of my jacket i had to compensate it with other stuf at the other side to get my jacket straight again (not my wallet, i'm poor), so i bought a purs and a bag for my psion and i was happy. That bag wich is a wallet as well contains my cards and money and soon i hope my G4. So bulky or what ever, it wil fit in there and lets agree thats its less heavy then carrying a laptop. I do hope they come up with a better agenda, like Psion had, and a good database. I would be realy happy if it would have something like OneNote. Best program those boys from MS ever developed. But thats my opinion.

Now i just wait till i get the machine....

SNi

• View Profile
    • http://www.sibelle.info
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2018, 05:08:36 pm »
There's an Android version of OneNote that you can use on the Gemini, though it is a bit clunky...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:12:36 am by speculatrix »

ehasbrouck

• View Profile
    • The Practical Nomad
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2018, 02:10:14 pm »
I've posted a detailed review of the Gemini PDA in my blog at:

https://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/002328.html
current devices: Gemini PDA / Panasonic Let’s Note CF-RZ6
former devices: Psion netBook, 5mx, Revo Plus / Panasonic Let’s Note CF-J10, CF-R7 /  Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 / Asus Eee PC 901 / Gateway 2000 Handbook 486

MonkeyControl

• View Profile
    • http://