Author Topic: Finally decided to make my pledge...  (Read 8248 times)

Pdajah

• View Profile
Finally decided to make my pledge...
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 02:10:50 am »
Quote from: ArchiMark
Well, did the deed and just joined the Gemini PDA Owner's Club....

Should be fun....

I'm keen to see how app developers support provide productivity apps to make best use of the Gemini form factor. The old Psion 5 with IR connectivity for faxing documents helped me close a few business deals in the late 1990s :-)  Paid for itself many times over.
Previous PDAs - Psion 5, Psion 5mx, Ericsson MC218, Psion Revo, Psion 7
Now: Gemini PDA and Cosmo

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 03:43:20 am »
Quote from: ArchiMark
Well, did the deed and just joined the Gemini PDA Owner's Club....
Yay!

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

terryowen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 04:52:48 pm »
Quote from: Varti
Quote from: Michael Liberman
Well, I have pledged mine several months ago
I am still thinking about the connectivity pack though.
It kind of infuriates me, the way the whole hdmi thing was done (and the very late explanation about impossibility to have a generic cable for the device.
Perhaps Planet will be more flexible and allow those among us who just want the cable to be able to purchase just that.
75$ for just the cable (and a hub which I will likely not use) does sound a bit hard to swallow.

Planet has confirmed some days ago that the HDMI cable will be available separately once the campaign will end. A logical move, since many like you are interested in the HDMI cable only. I'll receive the HDMI cable since I have ordered the All-in bundle, as I wanted the pouch as well and didn't want to pay more than one shipping fee.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Varti

That was my question to Planet.    I'm trying to be okay with the hdmi situation. It is what it is and not much we can do about it. I think if the shipping hadn't been so much ($40 on the wifi version to the US/Iowa) I would have gotten the Connectivity Kit.   Honestly though, I'm in it for the keyboard and if it delivers on that, I'll be happy.  (I pledged this summer.)  

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to mirror the screen in Linux as you can with Android?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:54:08 pm by terryowen »

Alius

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 09:43:01 am »
Owner of multiple Series 3a units (unfortunate hinge/battery issue made for some repairs back in the day), a still-functioning (but sticky gooey) Series 3c, and a franken-Series 5 (Series 5mx with Series 5 keyboard, purchased off an enterprising fellow on eBay).  I pledged just before the original campaign ended and just recently went 'all-in' + camera.  Nice to meet everyone, and looking forward to a great time once I get my paws on my Gemini!

Edit: Originally said I have a 5 with a 5mx keyboard, actually the opposite.  Preferable scenario, imho.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:30:33 am by Alius »

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 09:49:04 am »
Quote from: Alius
Owner of multiple Series 3a units (unfortunate hinge/battery issue made for some repairs back in the day), a still-functioning (but sticky gooey) Series 3c, and a franken-Series 5 (Series 5 with 5mx keyboard, purchased off an enterprising fellow on eBay).  I pledged just before the original campaign ended and just recently went 'all-in' + camera.  Nice to meet everyone, and looking forward to a great time once I get my paws on my Gemini!
Hi Alius and welcome  One of the things that make me worry about the Gemini is the hinge durability, it's one of the holy grails of clamshell devices it seems... we'll have to wait and see.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

Alius

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 09:59:54 am »
One of the things that make me worry about the Gemini is the hinge durability, it's one of the holy grails of clamshell devices it seems... we'll have to wait and see.

Definitely!  Well I am hopeful, since the Planet team has the design experience and history from the Psion devices to draw on.  *fingers crossed*

And thank you again for the welcome!

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 05:00:06 pm »
does anyone know what the USB-C hub actually is?

I've seen them as cheap as $20 on Amazon, and as much as $90 depending on the features - a plain hub is cheap, once you add a microSD card slot, ethernet adaptor, video out etc, they become lots more expensive.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 06:43:27 pm »
I decided I didn't want to risk missing out on the indiegogo discounts, so I ordered the standard wifi+4g unit, and a camera module. Everything else will be available at some point I'm sure, and the mystery of the USB-C to HDMI cable, and what kind of hub, can wait!

Hopefully they'll start to ship them out in quantity very very soon. I'm really stoked, I've tried all sorts of USB and bluetooth keyboards with my phones, and considered the Moto Mod keyboard, but only the latter and the Gemini have really offered what I want, and I'm also very enthusiastic about a proper linux handheld along with an active community to make something special!
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 06:52:57 pm »
Quote from: terryowen
Does anyone know if there is an easy way to mirror the screen in Linux as you can with Android?

in one of the videos, it implied that linux video out was possible, but not dual display. I don't know what resolutions might be possible for this.

depscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 07:14:28 pm »
Quote from: speculatrix
in one of the videos, it implied that linux video out was possible, but not dual display. I don't know what resolutions might be possible for this.

The Youtube video from CES said that Linux has video out but that neither Linux nor Android offers dual display.
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 08:56:36 pm »
I decided I didn't want to risk missing out on the indiegogo discounts, so I ordered the standard wifi+4g unit, and a camera module. Everything else will be available at some point I'm sure, and the mystery of the USB-C to HDMI cable, and what kind of hub, can wait!

[Snip....]

For info/photo of the hub as well as a hands-on prelim review check out:

https://liliputing.com/2018/01/hands-gemini...ch-display.html

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 04:04:42 am »

Hopefully they'll start to ship them out in quantity very very soon. I'm really stoked, I've tried all sorts of USB and bluetooth keyboards with my phones, and considered the Moto Mod keyboard, but only the latter and the Gemini have really offered what I want, and I'm also very enthusiastic about a proper linux handheld along with an active community to make something special!
Happy to hear you're joining the club
I must say I'm very happy to see again an alive community here, this motivates me a lot to maintain and upgrade the forum

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 02:05:28 pm »
Happy to hear you're joining the club
thanks!

I must say I'm very happy to see again an alive community here, this motivates me a lot to maintain and upgrade the forum

after my Zaurus C3100 was stolen, one thing I really missed was not being able to be active in the Zaurus community here. I then bought a Nokia 77 and then n800 and that was pretty good for a while.

this may seem an odd thing to say, but I enjoyed Android more when it wasn't so polished, it's become an appliance for me now, whereas in the earlier days there was a lot of tweaking and hacking to be done to get the most out of it.  I'm hoping that linux on the Gemini will give us ordinary users a chance to be useful  ;-)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:06:04 pm by speculatrix »

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 02:13:41 pm »
thanks, @ArchiMark for reference to photos showing the hub. I did see the hub on the lilliputing youtube video, but it only showed two sides of the hub, so I wondered if there was anything on the other. So it's just "two full-sized USB ports, another USB-C port, and an Ethernet jack".

I'll probably buy a third party hub, which offers USB ports, ethernet and a memory card slot. I have something like that but it's USB3 with the full sized connectors.

Alius

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 03:54:09 pm »
this may seem an odd thing to say, but I enjoyed Android more when it wasn't so polished, it's become an appliance for me now, whereas in the earlier days there was a lot of tweaking and hacking to be done to get the most out of it.  I'm hoping that linux on the Gemini will give us ordinary users a chance to be useful  ;-)

I know what you mean.  Android is a far different beast today than it was when I hacked it onto my first Windows Mobile phone nearly a decade ago (it had a qwerty slideout, naturally!!)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:55:06 pm by Alius »