Author Topic: Displaylink and Android 8.1  (Read 6832 times)

mgfm99

• View Profile
Displaylink and Android 8.1
« on: May 28, 2019, 05:15:43 am »
I didn't order one of the video out cables when first purchasing my Gemini, but bought a USB-C to HDMI Displaylink adapter. This worked perfectly with the Gemini when it was on Android 7.1.1 (though I didn't use it much). I've now upgraded to 8.1, and notice that it no longer works.

The two versions of Displaylink app install and run ok - they recognize the adapter being plugged in, but nothing is output to the TV. By default, the Displaylink outputs a 1920x1080 image. The adapter works fine with other Android devices, e.g. my phone running Android Pie.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

Wille

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 07:23:09 am »
Quote from: mgfm99
I didn't order one of the video out cables when first purchasing my Gemini, but bought a USB-C to HDMI Displaylink adapter. This worked perfectly with the Gemini when it was on Android 7.1.1 (though I didn't use it much). I've now upgraded to 8.1, and notice that it no longer works.

The two versions of Displaylink app install and run ok - they recognize the adapter being plugged in, but nothing is output to the TV. By default, the Displaylink outputs a 1920x1080 image. The adapter works fine with other Android devices, e.g. my phone running Android Pie.

I'm also interested to know if somebody has tested Miracast to Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter v2 on Android 8.1. I never got HDMI out working with official cable from Planet Computer, but solved with MS wireless adapter which work fine. Not gonna break this setup with firmware upgrade for now.
Jolla 1 SFOS 1,2 since 12/2013
Intex Aquafish SFOS 2 since 08/2016
PC Gemini x27 wifi/4G with SFOS 2 CE since 06/2018

mgfm99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 10:56:26 am »
Quote from: Wille

I'm also interested to know if somebody has tested Miracast to Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter v2 on Android 8.1. I never got HDMI out working with official cable from Planet Computer, but solved with MS wireless adapter which work fine. Not gonna break this setup with firmware upgrade for now.

Well I have succeeded in using Miracast with a Roku - but not perfect results: the image is automatically rotated into portrait clockwise. I can get it momentarily to rotate into upside down landscape, but not persistently so. Interested to know if there are tweaks one can apply to the Miracast output to deal with this.

spook

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 08:52:15 pm »
Wow. I'm glad I saw this post from you before upgrading. I really rely on my DisplayLink adapter. I might hold off until this is resolved (as well as the battery drain I have heard about)

spook

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 08:56:04 pm »
Quote from: spook
Wow. I'm glad I saw this post from you before upgrading. I really rely on my DisplayLink adapter. I might hold off until this is resolved (as well as the battery drain I have heard about)

Me too! Too many bugs for me to upgrade yet. And with the Cosmo release around the corner, my guess is the attention will not be on the Gemini - so we might be waiting a while. I'm OK with that. Oreo is working fine for me for the time being.

Wille

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 08:53:35 am »
Quote from: Wille

Well I have succeeded in using Miracast with a Roku - but not perfect results: the image is automatically rotated into portrait clockwise. I can get it momentarily to rotate into upside down landscape, but not persistently so. Interested to know if there are tweaks one can apply to the Miracast output to deal with this.
During SailfishOS upgrade I managed to lost my Android 7.1 partition. While there's no Alien Dalvik support for Gemini PDA, I did flash to Android 8.1.
Miracast to MS Display Adapter works. But when switching to full screen mode (e.g. on NetFlix or other app) picture is rotated by 90 deg anticlockwise from landscape to portrait. Not very useful.
I noticed that changing device screen size will cause permanent picture rotation also. But have not tried if there is some custom dp value that do not cause pic rotation on full screen mode.

Screen parameters can be controlled via adb, but it will require root access.
Jolla 1 SFOS 1,2 since 12/2013
Intex Aquafish SFOS 2 since 08/2016
PC Gemini x27 wifi/4G with SFOS 2 CE since 06/2018

gemini_user_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 10:02:20 am »
Hey, I just tested the official HDMI adapter on standard non rooted android 8.1 and it works fine to transmit image.

I do however get a quirk that only displays the correct orientation while on lock screen mode. Once logging in I get a 90ยบ rotation of the mirrored image, wasting much space on my screen and also requires turning my head or monitor.

the "Force rotate" rotates the content of the embedded screen and mirror that to be displayed on the monitor, but still only in the middle of the big monitor.

While changing states in "force rotate" as well as just before going to lockscreen and screen turns off due to inactivity, the monitor flashes the full monitor correctly for less than a second.

[edit]just to clarify: If I use the integrated force rotate, the display on the device will switch to portrait mode, and the image displayed on the external monitor will still only be shown on the same part of the monitor and then reflect the portrait mode on the gemini (I dont remember if this was even up-side down)[/edit]
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 07:18:27 am by gemini_user_j »
Gemini PDA x27

bloblo

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 07:22:40 pm »
Yeah, in 8.1 the desktop mode became unusably buggy. For me it flips around every time I switch between apps, it's ok once I am inside but it just hurts my eyes when I dare switch so it's horrible. And no update since then to fix it, it seems to me like planet has just given up...

I am using a different phone now, actually. Not mentioning it here since I don't want to get thrown out for somehow advertising competitors in the Gemini PDA section, but this seems to be one of the best ways right now to escape the rotten state that is Gemini PDA's broken old Android version.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 07:23:34 pm by bloblo »

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Displaylink and Android 8.1
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 02:35:17 am »
Just purchased Gemini with its cable (Planet) and updated system. Hdmi not working at all on any tv ! >:(
It's better to focus on only one thread per topic, so that we don't have bits of discussions spread in many threads. I have posted an answer here: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36337.msg296586#msg296586

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

gemini_user_j

• View Profile
Re: Displaylink and Android 8.1
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 09:44:21 am »
Hi all,
in case anyone cares, I discovered the fix for misrotation of HDMI output;

go to Settings > Apps & Notifications, App bar, Disable.

Obviously, you lose the app bar, so to get this going, you need to find alternatives for what you were using the app bar for & whatever features are otherwise integrated here.

It looks like there are Apps from F-Droid that allows some rotation customization as well as some app shortcut drawers, I haven't checked any of them out yet though. [edit]Reasonable alternative to screen rotation: Tap 'n' Turn (Confirm before the screen orientation gets applied) - https://f-droid.org/packages/com.gabm.screenrotationcontrol[/edit]

@Varti, I decided to update this topic instead of the other since it is an android specific solution only

Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 09:14:10 am by gemini_user_j »
Gemini PDA x27