Author Topic: Wikipedia  (Read 2774 times)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wikipedia
« on: January 12, 2018, 11:24:13 am »
Please contribute to the page
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_PDA

Before wikipedia decide to delete it as not significant!
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 12:42:34 pm »
I already got notification by the wikipedia bot they want to delete it

Here's my last entry in case they do
The Gemini is a smartphone/PDA from Planet Computers, which was launched on Indiegogo in 2017 and starts shipping in January 2018.

The Gemini is unusual and special, in the sense that whilst it invokes nostalgia for an old keyboarded PDA, it's actually a reinvention of the smartphone with keyboard  category that hasn't existed for five years. The last significant Linux hand held device with a keyboard was probably the Nokia N900, which pre-dated Nokia's Symbian market collapse, adoption of Microsoft Windows phone and sale of that business unit to Microsoft.

The history of the Gemini, the design criteria and the way it came to market as a dual boot Linux/Android device is also significant.

The Gemini was exhibited at CES 2018 in Las Vegas, winning many awards (citations required).
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Phoxford

• View Profile
Wikipedia
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 03:20:55 am »
Quote from: speculatrix
Please contribute to the page
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_PDA

Before wikipedia decide to delete it as not significant!

Too late. Gone. (G11: Unambiguous advertising or promotion) I guess you have to be a little more dispassionate :-)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wikipedia
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 04:25:52 am »
They even deleted the Talk page where I explained why it was significant.

I find Wikipedia vey frustrating. Some years back some random person on the other side of the Atlantic made extensive stupid edits to the page about my small village here in England. I'd lived here 20 years at that time, that person would never have known the village existed before they picked our village page at random.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:26:47 am by speculatrix »

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wikipedia
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 06:44:13 am »
Sorry to hear the article was deleted. I managed to read it in time, it was a good start but it required some work. Maybe we might prepare another one offline and publish it when the first Geminis will be shipped, as a proof that it's not vaporware.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wikipedia
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 12:28:56 pm »
Yes, we could write the wikipedia entry here in the OESF wiki and then copy/paste it in.

gidds

• View Profile
Wikipedia
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 12:28:37 pm »
Yes, let's! 

I've never understood Wikipedia's criteria for notability, and can't see how they could reasonably deny an article on those grounds, given all the publicity it's been earning over recent weeks.

(By coincidence, I recently happened to edit the page for David E. Potter, adding his honorary chairmanship of Planet Computers, with dead links to both Planet Computers and Gemini PDA, in the hope that those pages might be added soon.)
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wikipedia
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 02:14:06 pm »
I'm working now on making a backup of the existing Wiki pages with httrack, before I erase the database (most of its entries are deleted spam pages, no reason to keep them). Too bad there's no "configure" on the server's shell account, so I need to do the backup locally and upload it on the server.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

Isaac

• View Profile
Wikipedia
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 02:20:47 pm »
Once the device is out, with the level of news sources reporting on it, I think a page will very likely survive. It does need to be neutral in tone and factual however, for it to not get deleted. We'll also need to make sure that all statements are sourced and cited from a third party news source.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wikipedia
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 03:42:47 am »
seems like someone managed to create a new page without it being deleted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_(PDA)