Author Topic: Does anyone use Planet Backup with a micro SD  (Read 2000 times)

Robsno5

• View Profile
Does anyone use Planet Backup with a micro SD
« on: July 26, 2023, 04:51:41 pm »
Does anyone use Planet Backup with a micro SD and if so how? For me the backup goes through the process completing sizing etc and then it asks for destination and presents two network options but no local SD option. I selected the first option and the connection passes test but then seems to hang. Is there something I need to do with the micro SD card or does it need to be an external SD connected via USB C?

Robsno5

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone use Planet Backup with a micro SD
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 01:54:53 pm »
So I use an apple mac and have got the backup working , I backed up everything bar my music library as the tracks and playlists are already on the Mac and it worked without error once I corrected a capital letter as the MAC smb settings must be case sensitive. Would still like to back up to SD if there is a trick to getting it working

Robsno5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 11:51:07 am »
For info Backup to SD actually works well as long as you choose backup to a single archive file,if you want a directory with all the individual files then you need to use a network location shared from your PC or MAC. I just had not tried the single file archive option.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 08:15:31 am »
Have you actually tried *restoring* from backup?

I wouldn't touch Planet's software with 10-foot pole if it's something I'd consider critical.

My approach is to use SMSBackup to save my messaging data, and for photos and the like I just sync to a PC every now and then. (Or I could just sync directly with Google, but don't want to). Rest of this (e.g. layout of Nova Launcher) can be backed up when I change that once a year.

Robsno5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 06:08:44 pm »
No Not tried a restore yet. The last time I tried a restore I used Google's back up which recovered most items.Planets backup seemed to back up more. Certainly the backup over the network which did individual files looks useful. But yes belt and braces I also use SMS backup and keep all my passwords on an encrypted cloud service.

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 09:59:10 pm »
Having access to a proper app backup solution that can back up all appdata (e.g. Swift Backup) is the main reason I root my devices. Rooting wipes it though, so best done ASAP before setting all your stuff up on the device.

Backups are important, and I don't have enough faith in Planet Computers for many things, let alone trusting them to have a 100% reliable backup app.