Author Topic: Gemini PDA - Accessories - Pouches/Covers  (Read 12391 times)

Kisuke-CZE

• View Profile
Gemini PDA - Accessories - Pouches/Covers
« on: June 21, 2018, 07:45:34 am »
Hi,

when I received my Gemini, I started to use it as daily driver. And it is truly amazing. I am carrying it in my backpack in "glasses" pocket. But I want to protect it somehow more when I am not using it. So I decided to buy some pouch/cover for it.
I did not ordered original one, because I do not like that look of it. I preffer something synthetic/textile rather than leather one (actually I had cover made from wood on my OnePlus 3 which I had before and it looked cool).

So please share your tips, or info which cover do you use. Maybe you found something amazing which I did not.

My tips which should work - not tested yet

1) Subsonic iStart pouch for PS Vita - https://www.subsonic.com/fr/pour-psp-ps-vit...0192200912.html
I used this pouch in past for my PS Vita and for my ireadygo Much i5. It worked for them. I found my Much i5 in a drawer, and it is actually slightly larger than Gemini. Infortunately I cannot find that pouch now. But it must fit Gemini nicely.

2) Chinese Wool-like pouch - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mobile-Phon...2851493696.html
I am probably going to order this one. It should fit Gemini nicely and it looks nice.

3) Chinese pouch with belt clip - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cowboy-Clot...2698854236.html
Looks nice too. Gemini will definitely fit in. It has a belt clip and a carabiner (so you can attach it to your backpack or something). It can also hold few more things that just phone. But it will be much bigger than pouch just for phone.

Mr Rimmer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 08:47:45 am »
I use a PS Vita pouch which I picked up from eBay for £1.20 including delivery!  Fits very nicely and is suitable padded.
Planet Computers Gemini 4G

Dixit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 01:28:31 pm »
Quote from: Mr Rimmer
I use a PS Vita pouch which I picked up from eBay for £1.20 including delivery!  Fits very nicely and is suitable padded.

I ordered the Full Package, including the original pouch, but of course the accessories have still not arrived.
So I am currently using an original Psion New-In-Box leather pouch. The Gemini is only a bit thinner, but the other dimensions are like the 5mx. The whole looks nice - a bit like a Filofax - but it is rather big to carry around. Not very practical for a phone.

So Planet... it would be nice if you deliver the pouch before the Brexit !

Calamityspice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 09:14:17 pm »
I just carry mine in my pocket. I work in a warehouse & an office. it has picked up a few dents & scratches.

My watch has too. I don't worry about it. They are both tools. As long as they keep working, why worry?
'

Malcolm H

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 07:29:56 am »
49 pence for a 3DS pouch from Home Bargains in the UK, just the right size...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The image on the left is it inside the pouch, the one on the right is it beside it.

Malcolm.

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 12:58:41 pm »
Quote from: Calamityspice
I just carry mine in my pocket.

Me too.

I carried a Psion in my front-left trouser pocket for 20 years (not always the same trousers, I hasten to add — not always the same Psion, for that matter!), and it never got scratched or damaged as a result.  (I never carried anything else in that pocket, of course.)

So I'm not worried about the Gemini on that score.

An advantage of that is that I can whip it out and have it ready for action in a couple of seconds — which is great for jotting down notes and ideas as they occur, or checking info, or whatever.  And I use it a lot.  Having to open a case, remove it, put the case somewhere, and then open it (and then do it in reverse when putting it away) would have a major impact on its availability.  As I've said elsewhere, the more time and effort it takes to access, the less you're likely to do so, and the less useful it is.

As for damage, I'm more worried about its underside getting scratched by sliding around on a desk…
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 03:13:59 am »
I use the little "free" cloth bag my sunglasses came in -

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Microfibre so you can also use tt clean the fingermarks off the screen.  Keeps it clean / the dust out and scratch free amongst all the detritus at the bottom of my bag.

pdtpoet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 10:03:36 am »
I am using the Planet Computers leather case, and find that the Gemini PDA + case together fit nicely into a jeans pocket and easily slips in and out of it.  The case also adds corner protection and so I feel more secure using the combination.

My Psion 5mx also used to live in a pants or blazer or sweater pocket, but the Psion is a much more rugged machine, in my opinion, than the Gemini PDA.  I dropped my Psion many times without a scratch resulting (although the AA batteries would invariably go flying off somewhere and have to be retrieved.  I am very concerned about the relatively delicate screen and innards of the Gemini compared with the Psion.  

Anyone else care to comment on the relative ruggedness, Psion 5mx vs Gemini PDA?

Pdtpoet

racerx187

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 06:00:04 pm »
I am using the fabric case from an HP48GX calculator. It has a nice fabric interior that keeps the unit from scratching and it has a little bit of padding.

You can pick one off ebay for fairly cheap!

Also, it seems that nintendo 3ds case are pretty nice too!

Love the Gemini!

Roy KG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 03:47:28 am »
I have carried around my Psion for the past 20 years and always kept it in a case, which I'm sure has contributed to its reliability; so I wanted a case for my new Gemini too.  The Psion cases are a bit too large as the Gemini is so slim in comparison, so I bought a case from PDair. https://www.pdair.com/leather-zip-around-wa...e-red-stitching  Whilst this is more expensive than others suggested here, it is slim and replaces my wallet too, so not only does the Gemini fit in the middle pocket (Just!) but I can keep some bank notes and cards in it as well and it takes up only slight more space (thickness wise) in my jacket pocket.

Dixit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 05:09:25 am »
Interesting solution. PDAir was already a renowned supplier in the Nokia Communicator times.

You write 'just'. Is it possible that the zipper damages the Gemini ?

Roy KG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 07:02:42 am »
Quote from: Dixit
Interesting solution. PDAir was already a renowned supplier in the Nokia Communicator times.

You write 'just'. Is it possible that the zipper damages the Gemini ?

No, not at all.  The pocket in the middle is obviously meant for a slightly smaller & even slimmer smart phone.  The Gemini is fine on the thickness but just a little close a fit on length.  Since the pocket is well inside the outer case, the zipper is well clear of the Gemini.  It's a real snug fit, more so than the phones for which it was obviously originally designed.  One advantage is that the Gemini could not drop out accidentally if you opened the case with the opening angled slightly down, which could happen with a smartphone.  Being new on this forum I'm not sure if I can attach a photo here, or what size, but I could easily take something to show everyone.  From my point of view the case looks good, has the advantages of carrying the few notes and cards I wish to carry, is padded, yet keeps the overall size not much bigger than my wallet so is comfortable in a jacket pocket.  If you intend the Gemini to be a smartphone too, in constant use, then this case will probably be too much trouble to keep accessing it.  I will be using my Gemini primarily as a PDA (to replace my long serving Psions) so quick constant access is not a concern.

Joern

• View Profile
    • http://www.joernpachl.de
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 04:33:43 am »
I bought the Planetcom leather case. It looks nice and also has a good smell. While it is a relatively thin sleeve, it provides some protection at the edges and corners. At the beginning, it seemed to be a little bit tight, but this changed quickly with regular use.

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 04:23:07 am »
Quote from: Roy KG
If you intend the Gemini to be a smartphone too, in constant use, then this case will probably be too much trouble to keep accessing it.  I will be using my Gemini primarily as a PDA (to replace my long serving Psions) so quick constant access is not a concern.

You obviously used your Psion less frequently than I did

My Gemini, too, gets whipped out umpteen times a day: for looking stuff up in Wikipedia, a dictionary, &c; for reading books in the loo; for noting down ideas and to-dos; for playing quick games; for accessing sites like this one when commuting (Guess what I'm typing this on!), for playing music ditto, and an increasing list of other things too.

A case would prove far too slow and restrictive for me.

But perhaps the beauty of the Gemini is that different people can use it in different ways...
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 11:08:14 am »
Quote from: pdtpoet
Anyone else care to comment on the relative ruggedness, Psion 5mx vs Gemini PDA?
While the Psion LCD just has a plastic film for cover, the Gemini has Gorilla Glass, which, while it might break more easily, should protect the actual display quite a bit better. As a Psion screen both slides and folds, its ribbon cable is prone to breaking. Since the Gemini only folds, I'd guess its (two) ribbon cables won't wear out as easily.

When closed, the keyboard-to-screen hinge of a Psion slides inside the device, which probably protects it a bit more in case of a drop.  If dropped when open, I'd guess a Psion and a Gemini has similar odds of survival, depending on how they'd land. Since a Gemini is a tad lighter (my kitchen scale says 307g with the rear camera addon), it would impact with a tad less force than a Psion, but just a tad.

Speaking of the rear camera, it is protected by a window, made from what seems (to me) to be plastic, which presumably would scratch quite easily. As it's stuck on with double-sided tape, it's likely possible, but perhaps a bit messy, to replace, shoud spare parts become available.

For anyone considering the add-on camera, I'd say a case is neccesary, lest I'm wrong, and the window is actual glass, but until we know for sure, I'd say use a case. Should that make frequent use of the Gemini too cumbersome, then perhaps ironically, frequent users might better stay away from the add-on camera (at least until we know how it fares without a case). For what it's worth, I keep my main "umpteen times a day" phone in a case that requires two steps to retrieve or insert it. I find that quite tolerable, but that's just me.  

While my PC Gemini case was silly snug at first, I'm happy it was. Being actual leather, it does stretch a bit over time. While my (also leather) Psion slipcase soon got so loose that the Psion would easily fall out of it, my Gemini case now seems to be just righ; easy enough for me to apply or remove, but with no risk of the Gemini falling out if it. For me, the PC case feels "just right". No case wouldn't feel good, and a larger case would make my Gemini too bulky for my pockets.

The add-on camera has made a slight hump in the case, just where the PC logo is, as I'm always inserting my Gemini that way. So far, the inside fabric of the case seems to keep the camera window clean, though that might change once enough grease has rubbed off inside the case. Time will tell, I suppose.