Author Topic: Newly Acquired Sl-c1000 Has Trouble--**panic**  (Read 3975 times)

sstrungis

• View Profile
Newly Acquired Sl-c1000 Has Trouble--**panic**
« on: December 07, 2005, 11:13:06 am »
Hi all,

Just got a secondhand SL-C1000 in the mail 2 days ago.  At first all was well.

Love my Z to pieces...I used it all day yesterday.  Off and on, some reading, some games, music, movies, etc.  The batteries crapped out late last night so I gave it a charge.  Now today, the unit doesn't seem to hold a charge for me for more than a minute.

I have tried rebooting, and playing around with the power and MHz settings to no avail.  I have also plugged it in and inspected, and reinserted the battery.

All of a sudden, my Z cannot hold a charge.  What's going on?  Why would this happen out of the blue after HOURS of battery use?

I would hate to thing that I have a lemon.  First Googling results in little info about bad batteries on the SL-C1000 series.  Just the usual stuff about SL-C5500's.

I am currently running Cacko 1.23.

All works fine on AC.  The adapter is EA-72.

Please advise,
Scott Strungis
SL-C1000 with Cacko 1.23, CF storage for movies, SD storage for all else
Other PDAs: Newton 2100, Psion 5mx...Fooey on Palm!

nilch

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 11:30:36 am »
Did you check this thread ?
https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16059

Maybe the charger is an issue here ...
New no more-C1000 / 5000D (sold my 6000 and 750) | Cacko ROM 1.23 on C1000 | 256 MB CF | 2GB PNY SD card | Socket Networker WiFi CF Card | USB Host cable from StreamlineCPUS | Mini Microphone (for voice recording) |

Greg2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 11:47:57 am »
I agree with nilch. Use your 5500 charger... that should be an EA-70.

Greg

TRIsoft

• View Profile
    • http://www.trisoft.de
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 11:59:17 am »
Scott,

first : DON'T PANIC  

Try the EA-70(S) from your SL-5500.
If this doesn't work, try the EA-BL06 from your 5500
in the SL-C1000 (should work, but it's funny to remove
it later, better fix some tape before inserting).

Also you may cut the nose from the EA-BL11 and try
to charge it in the SL-5500.

This way you can find out if it's a charge or a battery
issue.

My personal bet: Welcome in the "bad-charger-club".

///TRIsoft

Marc Stephan

sstrungis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 01:32:07 pm »
Hi All,

I will try the other charger. That one delivers 2.0 amps rather than the stock one's 1 amp.  This will not fry my c1000?  Also, isn't the EABL06 a terrible battery?  The SL-5500 series Z's are notorious for bad batteries....Still, I guess if it's just to test the battery...

I hope that it's simply my stock charger.

Thanks!
Scott Strungis

GadgetGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 01:34:47 pm »
Hi All,

I will try the other charger. That one delivers 2.0 amps rather than the stock one's 1 amp.  This will not fry my c1000?  Also, isn't the EABL06 a terrible battery?  The SL-5500 series Z's are notorious for bad batteries....Still, I guess if it's just to test the battery...

I hope that it's simply my stock charger.

Thanks!
Scott Strungis
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106393\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

YOu could also try a Sony PSP charger. That is what I use...
Zaurus C-3100 from PriceJapan with OZ 3.5.4.1. Opie and GPE
Ambicom CF WL1100C Wifi Card and Symbol Wireless Networker CF Wifi Card
1 GB Sandisk Ultra II SD
PdAir leather case - Nintendo DS metal case
various smaller CF and SD cards
all kinds of USB cables and accessories
-------------------------------------------------------------
Previous computers: TI 99/4A, ZX81, C64, Amiga 500, Apple Powerbook 100
Previous PDA's: Palm 1000, Palm III, Palm V, Palm Vx, Audiovox Maestro Pocket PC, Psion 5mx
Current PDA: Palm Tungsten E2
Current favourite: Zaurus C3100 - my "micro laptop"

sstrungis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 07:31:13 am »
Okay,

I tried the EA-70 charger last evening.  I hooked up the dead C1000 to the charger and left it alone for 5 hours while I was out of the house.  When I came back, the charge light had gone out.

The battery would not run for more than 10 secs.  I hooked it back up and left it overnight for 8 hours.  When I got up this morning the charge light was also out.  Just for the hell of it, I unplugged it and plugged it back in...The charger light came back on.  This time I did not even get 5 secs of battery life when I tried it out.

I also charge my SL-5500's battery this morning.  I will try a battery switch later.

I am starting to get frustrated and worried that I now have a $300 non-portable PDA here.

Scott Strungis

bluedevils

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 09:49:38 am »
what rom is on it?  when you mean it won't hold a charge, do you mean the screen goes blank?

If you are on the cacko rom and your light setting is at minimum, then you will get a similar effect.  I suggest using the hardware keys to bring the brightness higher.
I'm now an iphone user and use my zaurii as serial terminals, perl and shell scripting and when I need 640x480 screens

sl-c3100/pda cacko 1.23 | sl-6000l/needs battery | sl-c760/server pdaxrom rc12 | Former sl-5500/tkcrom owner (sister's birthday gift)

sstrungis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 10:47:22 am »
It is running Cacko 1.23 at this time.  Right now my energy settings for the backlight are set to more than 5 or 10 seconds.  As far as I can tell, the battery takes a charge as the light on the hinge goes on and stays on.  After the light goes out after many hours, I try running the Z on battery power and in less than 10 seconds all goes dark and stays dark regardless of input.  The power button will bring it back, but only for a second or two.  After replugging the AC in, all works fine, and the battery seems to be starting another charge cycle.

My original seller suggests that I reflash back to original ROM as well as the usual fixes (check the battery switch on the bottom, soft reset with the battery compartment button, etc).

<sigh>
Scott Strungis

bluedevils

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 10:58:00 am »
you tried fn+(up brightness symbol)?
I'm now an iphone user and use my zaurii as serial terminals, perl and shell scripting and when I need 640x480 screens

sl-c3100/pda cacko 1.23 | sl-6000l/needs battery | sl-c760/server pdaxrom rc12 | Former sl-5500/tkcrom owner (sister's birthday gift)

sstrungis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 02:32:28 pm »
Hi All,

Well, I gave the battery another charge.  Before pulling the AC adapter I made sure that the energy settings were set to something that is bright when the battery is running the Z.  At first, when I pulled the plug from the AC, the screen darkened and the Z seemed dead.  I tried the function + brightness button and it lit right up.

All seems well.  Occasionally it still darkens up, but a function + brightness restores things.  What I don't get is why it goes dark in the first place.  You cannot turn off the backlight normally...Why would a Light and Power setting do this without allowing the user to kill the light.  The Music Player allows this and that's it.

I guess I can file this problem under "Duh!" or possible "PEBKAC".

I feel a little dumb.  Thanks for all of the feedback.

There SHOULD be an "On" indicator or something, dang it!

Scott Strungis

bluedevils

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 03:09:10 pm »
don't worry, I and a bunch of others fell into the same trap.  I assume it is a bug in the cacko rom.