Author Topic: A list of all the hardware/software issues reported so far  (Read 36985 times)

Lyall Pearce

• View Profile
A list of all the hardware/software issues reported so far
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 11:53:20 pm »
Quote from: MikeWoodward
I have fully function left USB port (charge+data) right port does not work at all.
Agenda app does not work at all.
Can't remove Google search bar.
Screen rotate does not work so some software wont work e.g. Virgin TV Go does not show option to enter username/password in landscape mode.

I have the MT6797T (X25) CPU if thats relevant, its about 5% slower than X27 on some specs.

Rotating is corrected by using the Planet key -> Planet icon -> Force rotate

Referring to http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Troubleshooting, it appears that I should not expect the right USB port to act as a data port.

How do you test the right port? What do you plug in? I don't have any USB C compatible devices, except for the Planet Computers supplied USB Hub and HDMI adapter.

I tried the USB hub/network port but there is no visual cue that anything is plugged in and I am a noob at Android so don't know how to tell if things are working or not.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:11:22 am by Lyall Pearce »
...Lyall

Steve Goodey

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2018, 01:24:14 pm »
Quote from: MikeWoodward
Screen rotate does not work so some software wont work e.g. Virgin TV Go does not show option to enter username/password in landscape mode.

Regarding screen rotation... Aside from the AndroidOS settings, you have
to go into the App Bar settings and turn off BOTH "force landscape" and
"force portrait". Then screen rotation works fine (for me).

Good luck,

PJS

https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...mp;#entry284920

Rosie

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2018, 07:52:24 am »
Quote from: Rosie
The Gemini was fine, it was the cheap as chips USB to USB-C adapter I was using.  I've plugged in a new USB-C hub and can happily use a wireless keyboard and mouse just by plugin the dongle into the hub.  It's really, really strange (in a good way) seeing a mouse point on a phone screen though.

Rosie

Ho-hum.  And now I've finally had a chance to check the RH USB socket as Planet requested (single device: mouse or keyboard) using a brand new and working USB-C -> USB converter it turns out it doesn't work.  Power goes down it (the light on the mouse lights up) but that seems to be about it.  Whether it was working before the unfortunate incident with the cider or not is anyone's guess though.

Rosie

Alius

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2018, 04:47:20 pm »
(Android, possibly not Linux or other OS?) PgUp/PgDn (Fn + Up / Fn + Down) do not appear functional.  (Original topic: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=34977)

Edit: To follow-up, this may just be many apps not supporting PgUp/PgDn, unfortunately
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:01:30 pm by Alius »

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2018, 05:06:57 am »
Quote from: Alius
(Android, possibly not Linux or other OS?) PgUp/PgDn (Fn + Up / Fn + Down) do not appear functional.  (Original topic: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=34977)

Edit: To follow-up, this may just be many apps not supporting PgUp/PgDn, unfortunately
Thanks for the report, I have now updated the first post, and I have moved all the CPU/keyboard issues, which should have been by now hopefully fixed, in a new "first batch devices only" group. BTW I wonder if there are still issues with the detaching rubberized strip in the newer batch, or if they have fixed that too.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

mirakels

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2018, 05:17:29 pm »
Is there an official method to report issues to planet (that will result for example in a proper ticket/reference number)?

The http://support.planetcom.co.uk/ site does just give some basic info and seems to be a read-only site without any contact info...

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2018, 08:01:58 am »
Quote from: mirakels
Is there an official method to report issues to planet (that will result for example in a proper ticket/reference number)?

The http://support.planetcom.co.uk/ site does just give some basic info and seems to be a read-only site without any contact info...
Unfortunately no... Planet has asked us to help them by setting a community-driven bug tracking tool (which I think is a good idea, I'd like to make all the issues in this thread to be more easily maintained), but so far I have not managed to take a look on how to implement it.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

mirakels

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2018, 05:57:19 pm »
Quote from: Varti
Quote from: mirakels

Unfortunately no... Planet has asked us to help them by setting a community-driven bug tracking tool (which I think is a good idea, I'd like to make all the issues in this thread to be more easily maintained), but so far I have not managed to take a look on how to implement it.

Varti
I  also backed a zetime watch. They also use a sort of cummunity-driven bug racking tool. See http://zetime.daap.dk/bugs
Maybe this can be used on oesf too ...

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2018, 11:13:38 am »
Just found another hardware issue:
  • You can't view the screen through Polaroid sunglasses.  I'm assuming this is because the screen was designed for portrait-style displays; it looks fine in portrait orientation, and at most other angles, but it blacks out completely when horizontal.
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2018, 07:15:06 am »
Quote from: gidds
  • You can't view the screen through Polaroid sunglasses.  I'm assuming this is because the screen was designed for portrait-style displays; it looks fine in portrait orientation, and at most other angles, but it blacks out completely when horizontal.
Now that's one of the strangest issue I have ever seen

It seems to affect any sunglasses with polarized lenses. A possible solution could be to use a screen protector to cancel the Gemini screen's polarization filter:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/540...zed-lenses.html

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2018, 03:16:28 am »
Adding to the list

Micro SD cards are not visible when formatted in "internal" mode i.e. encrypted - given the faff in removing card (remove cover etc) it's unlikely anyone will be regulary swapping the card to another device - most use as extended storage  on Gemini - so "internal" formatting should work...
See : https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=35184

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2018, 02:18:46 pm »

this is not a fault, it's because the Gemini has an LCD display and their fundamental principle of operation is by using polarised light!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid-crystal_display

if you have an LCD TV, or a watch with LCD display, you'll get the same effect.

however, it is possible on some LCD displays to remove a polariser and then you have to wear polarised spectables to see the picture on the screen. I'm sure I've seen a spy movie where they used that trick for privacy.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 02:24:30 pm by speculatrix »
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2018, 05:54:25 pm »
Quote from: speculatrix
this is not a fault, it's because the Gemini has an LCD display and their fundamental principle of operation is by using polarised light!

Yes, but the LCD's polarisation has the wrong orientation.

It's clearly intended for a portrait-style phone, as when held that way up it's perfectly compatible with polarised sunglasses (which are all polarised in the same plane, to cancel out reflections off horizontal surfaces).  But it fails big-time when used in landscape orientation, as used in the Gemini (as that's when the display's plane of polarisation is perpendicular to that of the sunglasses, almost completely blocking the screen).

Either the factory economised by reusing a screen originally intended for use in portrait orientation, or they didn't realise the problem.  Either way, the plane of polarisation is wrong for the orientation it's intended to be used in.
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Murple2

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2018, 06:18:46 pm »
Quote from: speculatrix

Yes, but the LCD's polarisation has the wrong orientation.

It's clearly intended for a portrait-style phone, as when held that way up it's perfectly compatible with polarised sunglasses (which are all polarised in the same plane, to cancel out reflections off horizontal surfaces).  But it fails big-time when used in landscape orientation, as used in the Gemini (as that's when the display's plane of polarisation is perpendicular to that of the sunglasses, almost completely blocking the screen).

Either the factory economised by reusing a screen originally intended for use in portrait orientation, or they didn't realise the problem.  Either way, the plane of polarisation is wrong for the orientation it's intended to be used in.

I seem  to remember that the screens in the gemini were originally produced for use in HMD / VR? Unless they ended up sourcing them from somewhere else?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 06:19:16 pm by Murple2 »

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2018, 03:17:10 am »
Ah, I see what you mean, @gidds
I think the LCD screens are the same 2:1 aspect 1080p screens used in some LG phones.

These days most screens are fully laminated with the polarisers, touch layer and front glass all bonded. Getting custom made ones would have been quite expensive and for the numbers of Geminis being made increased the cost of each quite significantly.

If you want a fully custom perfect Gemini you'd need to invest a lot more upfront than the million that Planet had to play with!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:17:35 am by speculatrix »
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.