Author Topic: Android Screen Icons  (Read 5653 times)

Dewcal

• View Profile
Android Screen Icons
« on: June 14, 2018, 12:11:13 pm »
OK, I have been playing with mine for a couple of hours and would like to delete some icons from the home screen and move others.  On my previous Androids, a long press on the offending icon gave me the option to drag to the top of the screen and drop on on "delete" - icon gone but app still there if required....

I am sure there is a very simple answer - appreciated if someone could advise me and put me out of my misery.......

Ifanafi

• View Profile
Android Screen Icons
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 12:49:29 pm »
Others suggest using another launcher like Nova, which I've done, because the Gemini's simple launcher is weak and featureless.

I tried the Nova (with ads) version then the paid version (Nova Prime installs Nova Launcher). Glad I did because it has many useful features (IMHO) and is configured easily.

Reviewers and users alike rate Nova's 'pro' version very highly over free and open-source launchers.

No problems or short-comings to report. Nova is a good value.

To your question: Pressing down (not tapping) on an icon on the desktop triggers a pop-up box wherein you can edit or delete an icon.

Give the free version a go.

Cheers!

Quote from: Dewcal
OK, I have been playing with mine for a couple of hours and would like to delete some icons from the home screen and move others.  On my previous Androids, a long press on the offending icon gave me the option to drag to the top of the screen and drop on on "delete" - icon gone but app still there if required....

I am sure there is a very simple answer - appreciated if someone could advise me and put me out of my misery.......
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:53:38 pm by Ifanafi »

salvomic

• View Profile
Android Screen Icons
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 12:57:55 pm »
Quote from: Ifanafi
Others suggest using another launcher like Nova, which I've done, because the Gemini's simple launcher is weak and featureless.

I tried the Nova (with ads) version then the paid version (Nova Prime installs Nova Launcher). Glad I did because it has many useful features (IMHO) and is configured easily.

Reviewers and users alike rate Nova's 'pro' version very highly over free and open-source launchers.

I agree.
I installed it a few days ago and it is very customisable and very like the oreo style of my Huawei MediaPad M5 tablet, but more versatile. I find Nova a good launcher in the Gemini.

Salvo
Gemini, Psion S5 and S5mx, iPhone, iPad, Huawei MediaPad M5, some HP calculators.
Psion Fans Italia moderator

desolate

• View Profile
Android Screen Icons
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 01:09:06 pm »

When you do a long press you will see a small Trash Can on the left of the screen.
Drag the icon to there.

Dewcal

• View Profile
Android Screen Icons
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 02:34:25 pm »
Quote from: desolate

When you do a long press you will see a small Trash Can on the left of the screen.
Drag the icon to there.
Desolate,
Many thanks for pointing out the obvious!!!  Thrash bin to delete and X to remove from screen!  Simple when you know.

Thanks again.

Dewcal

• View Profile
Android Screen Icons
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 02:36:22 pm »
Quote from: salvomic

I agree.
I installed it a few days ago and it is very customisable and very like the oreo style of my Huawei MediaPad M5 tablet, but more versatile. I find Nova a good launcher in the Gemini.

Salvo
Thanks both for the Nova suggestion - it is something I may look at.  Having come from a Blackberry, I am tempted to keep using their hub....  We will see!
Thanks again

Ifanafi

• View Profile
Android Screen Icons
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 01:27:54 pm »
QUICK QUESTION:

How to add an app's icon to Nova Launcher (Prime) desktop?

Did it once but can't remember how (I might have lucked out and did that before).

Thanks in advance for your reminder / help.

Ifanafi

drand

• View Profile
Android Screen Icons
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 03:05:06 pm »
QUICK QUESTION:

How to add an app's icon to Nova Launcher (Prime) desktop?

Just drag it from your app drawer. Ignore the context menu that might pop up.

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
Android Screen Icons
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 04:46:43 pm »
With Pictures - hold and drag to the left drop on  [X] to remove the shortcut [bin] (trash) to trigger an uninstall, example below you see the Telegram icon being dragged

The 5 Icons on the right (with K9 at the top in example below) seem to persist across all the desktops i.e. as you swipe left/right they are always there   You can place things here by draggin all the way to the right and letting go.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

RELATED QUESTION - Does anyone know how to remove the white Google search box?  I can disable it in the App manager and then it does not work (ie. you canlt click on it), but there seems to be no way to drag/drop the white box itself it on the [bin/trash]

drand

• View Profile
Android Screen Icons
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 01:54:30 pm »
After some fiddling I managed to get rid of it but can't remember how. Have you tried in Nova Settings  .. Desktop .. Persistent Search Bar?

Edit: the five icons on the right are in the Dock. You can customise this or turn it off in Nova settings too.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:57:58 pm by drand »

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
Android Screen Icons
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 04:11:11 pm »
Quote from: drand
After some fiddling I managed to get rid of it but can't remember how. Have you tried in Nova Settings  .. Desktop .. Persistent Search Bar?

Edit: the five icons on the right are in the Dock. You can customise this or turn it off in Nova settings too.

I am not [yet] using Nova - just the stock manager that came on the phone,  so it seems the 5 icons "dock" on the right are available on the stock Android, but how  to get rid of the search bar - it seems Crazy to have to buy a third party app to remove somthing?

drand

• View Profile
Android Screen Icons
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 08:48:49 am »
Apologies, I thought you were using Nova. The free version is entirely adeqaute, if you want to try it.

The search bar is a feature of the Google bundled launcher, Launcher3, and as such there isn't the ability to remove it. It is a pain to have to download another application to get your desktop looking how you want, but this is how Android works when it is of the Google variety.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 08:49:58 am by drand »

gidds

• View Profile
Android Screen Icons
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 02:28:04 pm »
What other advantages does Nova have over Launcher3, if any?  And how different is it to set up and use?
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

covex

• View Profile
    • http://
Android Screen Icons
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 02:38:10 am »
Quote from: gidds
What other advantages does Nova have over Launcher3, if any?  And how different is it to set up and use?

I tried Nova Launcher too - it is much better configurable, you may e.g. remove the google seach bar that is ocuppiing a lot of space on the home screen, you may resize widgets much better etc. Just after configuring all the widgets I found that the device is having much higher power consumption (3-5% a day instead 1-2%). I am not sure this is due to nova launcher or widgets or something else.
Gemini PDA 4G, MTK Helio x27, keyboard layout CZ, Gemini-7.1-Planet-08102018-V2

Ifanafi

• View Profile
Android Screen Icons
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 11:42:10 am »
I agree.

Nova Prime (paid for) launcher's advantages like removing the annoying Google search bar among others out weigh its few faults like an increase in power consumption.

In short, it is easily configure able and significantly improves the look and use of my Gemini.

Buy it and you, too, will no doubt agree.

Ifanafi

------------------
Quote from: covex
Quote from: gidds

I tried Nova Launcher too - it is much better configurable, you may e.g. remove the google seach bar that is ocuppiing a lot of space on the home screen, you may resize widgets much better etc. Just after configuring all the widgets I found that the device is having much higher power consumption (3-5% a day instead 1-2%). I am not sure this is due to nova launcher or widgets or something else.