Author Topic: Do you turn the display off before shutting the case?  (Read 3333 times)

vader

• View Profile
Do you turn the display off before shutting the case?
« on: June 18, 2018, 11:44:55 pm »
Pretty much sums it up in the title. Do you normally switch off (FN+Esc) before closing the case, or do you just close it. I was wondering if any keys could be pressed before the proximity sensor (or whatever is used to detect the case is shut) triggers. I personally always FN+Esc before shutting. When the keys are compressed by the magnets, do they even travel far enough to act like a keypress?

graynada

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 04:42:54 am »
Quote from: vader
Pretty much sums it up in the title. Do you normally switch off (FN+Esc) before closing the case, or do you just close it. I was wondering if any keys could be pressed before the proximity sensor (or whatever is used to detect the case is shut) triggers. I personally always FN+Esc before shutting. When the keys are compressed by the magnets, do they even travel far enough to act like a keypress?

Normally just close with screen on here.

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 10:40:08 am »
I just close it, but have had it restart on one occasion when it had an "endless" row of characters on the sim-unlock when I opened it again... So don't know what caused that! (The sensor isn't turned on until it is booted up??). I've had restarts without this issue as well... (I've had more restarts without it than with...)

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 10:58:32 am »
I always just close it.  (Only turned it off when it'll be sitting on the desk unused for a while.)  In a month's use, I don't think that's caused any problems at all.
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 12:22:00 pm »
Just Close - I have no idea what happens but it's on again when I open it and there is negligible battery use (I have WiFi Only)

I guess it's a bit like the fridge door?

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 01:00:59 pm »
I just close the display.
I changed the security timeout so that it doesn't lock the device instantly, which means I can open it up within a minute and not have to enter the unlock code.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 12:49:29 pm »
BEFORE PC's latest firmware update, I would just close the Gem.

NOW, however, since that update, which is proving to be a massive battery drain, I am switching the Gem's screen off via Fn + Esc before closing it.

And, by the way, I set the screen's time out to 1 minute of inactive use.

Only time will tell if those tweaks lessen the battery's sieve-like draining.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:50:03 pm by Ifanafi »

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 07:26:10 pm »
Quote from: Ifanafi

NOW, however, since that update, which is proving to be a massive battery drain, I am switching the Gem's screen off via Fn + Esc before closing it.

Cheers.

I didn't know about the battery draining problem. I still get an easy days usage (including a few hours of my new favourite ravensword game  ). Phones been off the charger a few hours, and I am currently sitting on 1 day 7 hrs left and I will easily make the days usage. I don't log in to google - maybe that helps. In the battery screen, my display uses the most by a factor of 10 or more. I have the display set to about 20%, maybe that helps. As I said before, I always FN+Esc.

AENT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 04:37:04 pm »
Before I close the Gemini, I tap on Screen Off and Lock app (from the Google Play), that turns off the screen and locks the device. It works reliably.

Dixit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 02:44:08 pm »
Quote from: Ifanafi

Cheers.

How much drain exactly ? I got mine on the day of the OTA so I cannot compare.
Mine works for a day or a day-and-a-bit.
Coming from a Psion I find that shocking, but that seems to be quite good nowadays with those smartphones.

Calamityspice

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 09:04:37 pm »
I charge mine every 3 days or so. That's with 3-4 hours of 3/4G browsing per day. I do read a lot of large pages that don't require frequent updates. Wikipedia etc.

Battery hasn't dropped below 70%

I  have my screen brightness set to one notch above zero.

There is a cell tower very close to the building where I work, which would suggest lower radio frequency energy expenditure?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:11:31 pm by Calamityspice »

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 07:48:34 pm »
I just close mine. If I do it slowly, the screen turns off when the screen is about one quarter inch from closed, so I guess the idea is that the screen should turn off before any keys gets pushed down.

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 12:31:57 pm »
Right you are, sir.

Slow closed the cover and, sure thing, the screen goes dark.

Therefore, no further need to keystroke the screen off.

Thanks for that keen-eyed observation.

Ifanafi

Quote from: Daniel W
I just close mine. If I do it slowly, the screen turns off when the screen is about one quarter inch from closed, so I guess the idea is that the screen should turn off before any keys gets pushed down.

joepirello

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 02:23:31 pm »

Why? Sounds like a huge hassle to me.