Author Topic: Teardown guide for battery and CoDi replacement.  (Read 10201 times)

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
Re: Teardown guide for battery and CoDi replacement.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 10:06:04 pm »
Thanks for posting this guide! I had to make use of it last night to replace my Cosmo's ballooned battery with the one from my Gemini. The information that they both use the same battery is much appreciated.

I just wanted to add that I found it very difficult to pry the battery and metal plate apart - the adhesive is very strong. I tried using a heat gun (for the first time), but struggled to get much loosening happening. I'm sure there's better tools for doing so, but I ended up using a thin and sharp splinter of wood to poke into the gap I was prying open to gradually cut the stretched adhesive. After I finally got it apart (thankfully without puncturing the battery!), the metal was a bit bent in the middle, and the wings were folded in. After I bent it all back, pulled off the adhesive strips, and rubbed off the adhesive residue, it went back into the phone fine.

I have ordered this 3rd-party battery just in case. The one linked by jakfish above is no longer available.

Cheers

Spamlet

• View Profile
Re: Teardown guide for battery and CoDi replacement.
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2023, 05:05:35 pm »
Hi all.
Many thanks for posting the stripdown pictures. My Cosmo battery never did last more than an hour or so from new, but I only use it indoors for watching YouTube, so have it plugged in most of the time.

Like others here, the battery soon started to swell and force the back off, and I got a shock when I flipped the back off (it tends to fall off anyway, as the plastic tabs that hold it on are incredibly fragile, and soon crumble off--as do the plastic rings that hold the screen side joiner rod on: I'll never risk an Astro if it's made of the same fragile stuff!).

Huge battery glued in so thoroughly that it cannot be removed without distorting the phone, and warnings stuck over the ID labels so I couldn't even see what make it was!  It's unbelievable that anyone would design a device to look eminently robust and easily dismantleable, only to gum it all up inside and fill it with warnings not to touch! And made of plastic that crumbles to dust almost just by looking at it!

My Cosmo is only holding on by a wing and a prayer, but my laptops are all broken, so I still rely on it, and will see if I can get a new battery, now you have given me the number.  It's a shame that Planet's service is so appalling once they have sold us the things. They don't really deserve us keyboard lovers.

Incidentally, a tip you might find useful to reduce keyboard jams, is to just cover the keyboard with transparent tape. It still works, and keeps out most of the dust. The hinge still fills up with grit and dust, that breaks off more and more of the plastic rings for the rod that holds it together, so it will probably be in two pieces before long, but at least the keys can be protected.  Outrageous to charge so much for things that are so poorly designed. :/

Another tip that works very well, that I adopted the first time the slippery metal slipped through my fingers and nearly broke my bare foot that I had to put in its way to stop it smashing on the kitchen tiles straight out of the box...  Is to put a strip of the fluffy side of sticky backed velcro along the edge of the lid nearest the hinge.  Then get some of the two sided velcro used for cable tidies and cut enough to fit comfortably around a couple of fingers.  Sit this ring of velco on the strip you've stuck on the device, and you can slip two fingers through it whenever you want to hold the phone in one hand while writing with the other.  I found it was almost imposible to use the device safely, except on a table, until I adopted this simple safety fix.  It's amazing how well the velcro around ones fingers works, and how comfortable it makes typing while standing up away from flat surfaces.

Anyhow: It's good to know I'm not the only one still using a Cosmo, and, many thanks for providing a service that the manufacturer couldn't be bothered with!

Cheers.