Author Topic: June Update Gives Error  (Read 1731 times)

Martin Bryant

• View Profile
June Update Gives Error
« on: July 13, 2018, 03:02:06 pm »
I've tried several times to install the wireless update for 12 June 2018, but each time I tried I get an error.

On reboot it starts the install but then shows the Android robot on his back with a tiny "error". I've installed Debian. Could that be a problem?

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Alternatively, I'd like to try the new firmware instead and add Sailfish, but I'd like to be more confident that I have the x25 and not the x27 before I start. Currently, the only way I know of checking is the...

If you are not sure about your Gemini version, just check under Settings -> Wireless & networks. If you see a menu called SIM cards, then you have an x27 Gemini, otherwise you have an x25 Gemini.

Is that the only way to find out?

I ordered mine on IndieGoGo so I'm assuming that I have an x25. And I don't see the SIM cards menu. Can I be certain it is an x25?

Martin

gidds

• View Profile
June Update Gives Error
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 04:32:20 am »
Quote from: Martin Bryant
I've tried several times to install the wireless update for 12 June 2018, but each time I tried I get an error.
Have you installed rooted Android?  The OTA update doesn't work with that; you need to reflash it.

(Rumour has it that once that update's installed, any future OTA updates will work — but of course we can't tell yet.)

I ordered mine on IndieGoGo so I'm assuming that I have an x25. And I don't see the SIM cards menu. Can I be certain it is an x25?
Only the very first production run (sent out in February) were x25; everything since then (i.e. the majority) has been x27.

On mine (x27), the ‘SIM cards’ menu is the third one in the Settings, between ‘Bluetooth’ and ‘Data usage’.

Another indicator is in the notification bar at the top of the screen: if you see two triangles to the left of the battery icon, then you have two SIM cards (the physical one and an eSIM) and hence an x27; only one indicates an x25.
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Martin Bryant

• View Profile
June Update Gives Error
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 04:03:33 pm »
Seems that I have an x25. No SIM installed currently and no triangles. No mention of an eSIM anywhere.

I don't think that it's rooted. I don't remember rooting it.

Going to try further with the flashing.

Martin Bryant

• View Profile
June Update Gives Error
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 10:23:57 am »
Seems that I have an x25. No SIM installed currently and no triangles. No mention of an eSIM anywhere.

Still no joy. When I use the flashing tool, I can't select any of the lines in the table. I can select the "select all" check box at the top of the table, but no other rows become selected.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Any suggestions?

Just realised that I don't have any file locations on my screen. Adding them manually. - Scrub that. Now worked out what the scatter file is and so have finally got all of the files in the right place and so now it all works OK. :-)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 12:17:44 pm by Martin Bryant »

Martin Bryant

• View Profile
June Update Gives Error
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 01:30:48 pm »

Still no joy. When I use the flashing tool, I can't select any of the lines in the table. I can select the "select all" check box at the top of the table, but no other rows become selected.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Any suggestions?

Just realised that I don't have any file locations on my screen. Adding them manually. - Scrub that. Now worked out what the scatter file is and so have finally got all of the files in the right place and so now it all works OK. :-)

OK, everything goes well until well into the firmware upgrade when sending data to the Gemini when I get this screen.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Any ideas?

[Update] - It's now frozen and won't reset. Is there a hard reset for these things?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 05:18:19 pm by Martin Bryant »