Author Topic: Suspend / Screen Blanking After Inactivity Time  (Read 4922 times)

liberated

• View Profile
Suspend / Screen Blanking After Inactivity Time
« on: February 20, 2007, 04:41:07 am »
The settings for suspending and turn off screen after a specific time are not working for me on my C3100. This is very annoying since a mistakenly pushed on button will drain the battery since the unit never goes back to sleep again.

Suggestions?
SL-C3100 w/ Cacko 1.23
AmbiCom WL1100C WLAN card
Anycom Bluetooth CF card
Socket CF 10/100 Ethernet card
1GB eXpansys noname SD card

Antikx

• View Profile
    • http://tyrannozaurus.com
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 02:14:15 pm »
Try using the home key to turn it on and the power button to turn it off.
When turning it off, hold the button in for .75 seconds.
...then hop on one foot for 3.3 seconds.
(just joking about the last one)
Kanpai,
-Antikx (Twitter, Mugshot and PodNova)
C1000 - pdaXrom R198 (Celestial Environment)
tyrannozaurus.com
[img]http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/files/category_pictures/general_1.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Zaurus news/blogs feed from Zaurus users
Free Windows, Linux, or Web RSS readers.
Featured pages at tyrannozaurus:
Sharp Petition, ScummVM, Cacko, pdaXii13, and Celestial Environment

BramK

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 05:58:15 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154809\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Whoaaah... great tip! That actually works.

Not sure 'bout the hopping though, that certainly didn't work with the normal suspend button. And you have to be carefull what you're hoppin' on. Especially in crowded busses.

Drake01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 07:13:10 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154809\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Okay, I'm curious... What's the deal with turning on using the Home key?  I don't remember having problems with the power button.  Do you know what the Home key does differently?

Also, I have occasionally had issues with my Z not "updating" with the latest apm settings, but I'm not sure what caused it.  I've gotten into the habit of not plugging / unplugging "stuff" (power, cards, USB) while the unit is in standby, and this seems to have helped since I haven't noticed the issue lately.  Of course, I've also recently upgraded to pdaxii13, which changes another variable.
Device: SL-C3200 running pdaXii13v2 build 5.5.0
Networking: Symbol Spectrum24 WLAN card; Kingston CIO10T CF NIC
Storage: 4GB Transcend 150x SD; 16GB Transcend 133x CF; 4GB Seagate CF HDD; 4GB Patriot SD
HID: Logitech V450 Laser Mouse; generic silicone USB keyboard; 2 generic optical mice; stock plastic stylus
GPS: generic "UT-41" USB GPS Receiver
Case: neoprene case from my old Palm foldable keyboard

Antikx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 09:51:13 pm »
Okay, I'm curious... What's the deal with turning on using the Home key?  I don't remember having problems with the power button.  Do you know what the Home key does differently?

Also, I have occasionally had issues with my Z not "updating" with the latest apm settings, but I'm not sure what caused it.  I've gotten into the habit of not plugging / unplugging "stuff" (power, cards, USB) while the unit is in standby, and this seems to have helped since I haven't noticed the issue lately.  Of course, I've also recently upgraded to pdaxii13, which changes another variable.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154835\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
I'm not sure what the reasoning is but I was told to do it that way a long time ago, and it has pretty much eliminated that problem for me.
Kanpai,
tyrannozaurus.com
[img]http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/files/category_pictures/general_1.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]

liberated

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 02:54:43 am »
Clarification: Normal suspend / resume using power button or Home button works perfectly OK. It's the automatic suspend / screen blanking after inactivity that doesn't work. I tried changing the settings in the Light & Power settings dialog, but that makes no change.
SL-C3100 w/ Cacko 1.23
Anycom Bluetooth CF card

BramK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 03:59:22 am »
When using the power/suspend button resuming fails most of the time. There is some internal disk activity. Then the screen is shown for about 0.10 of a second, and turns black again. Leaving the device in an unknown state.

The home button does not have this problem.

Chero

• View Profile
    • http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 04:34:57 am »
Clarification: Normal suspend / resume using power button or Home button works perfectly OK. It's the automatic suspend / screen blanking after inactivity that doesn't work. I tried changing the settings in the Light & Power settings dialog, but that makes no change.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154858\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

It should work (at least it did work in beta3).
All I know is that it may depend on the running applets (at least that was my very own conclusion which has not been verified yet). You should have the matchbox-battery-monitor running.
When I was running xfce on beta3, it didn't work. adding the mb-battery-monitor in the systray solved it.

BTW : on r121 it always seems to work.

Chero.
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
March 12 2009 : Back because the Zaurus is one of a kind.
SL-C760 : pdaXrom
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

Chero

• View Profile
    • http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 04:37:04 am »

Whoaaah... great tip! That actually works.

Not sure 'bout the hopping though, that certainly didn't work with the normal suspend button. And you have to be carefull what you're hoppin' on. Especially in crowded busses.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154826\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Don't forget one finger in your nose and holding your left ear before pushing the button.
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
March 12 2009 : Back because the Zaurus is one of a kind.
SL-C760 : pdaXrom
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

liberated

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 07:04:09 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154858\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

It should work (at least it did work in beta3).
All I know is that it may depend on the running applets (at least that was my very own conclusion which has not been verified yet). You should have the matchbox-battery-monitor running.
When I was running xfce on beta3, it didn't work. adding the mb-battery-monitor in the systray solved it.

BTW : on r121 it always seems to work.

Chero.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Solution found: Disable screensaver, remove screensaver panel applet. Now it works.
SL-C3100 w/ Cacko 1.23
Anycom Bluetooth CF card

Antikx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 10:47:05 am »
Cool. thanks for posting the solution.
Kanpai,
tyrannozaurus.com

Drake01

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 08:41:52 pm »
When using the power/suspend button resuming fails most of the time. There is some internal disk activity. Then the screen is shown for about 0.10 of a second, and turns black again. Leaving the device in an unknown state.

The home button does not have this problem.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154859\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
So this is exclusively a C3XXX problem?  The only time I remember having problems "un-suspending" on my C1000 was either user error or the issue with using the lowest backlight setting (in which case it awakened properly but I thought it hadn't because the backlight didn't turn on).
Device: SL-C3200 running pdaXii13v2 build 5.5.0
Networking: Symbol Spectrum24 WLAN card; Kingston CIO10T CF NIC
Storage: 4GB Transcend 150x SD; 16GB Transcend 133x CF; 4GB Seagate CF HDD; 4GB Patriot SD
HID: Logitech V450 Laser Mouse; generic silicone USB keyboard; 2 generic optical mice; stock plastic stylus
GPS: generic "UT-41" USB GPS Receiver
Case: neoprene case from my old Palm foldable keyboard

daniel3000

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 07:10:45 am »
Hi guys,

I have a (heavily modified) pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3 running.
I never had a problem with resume / suspend, as long as I don't violate this rule:
Never use the On/Off button more than once within about 20 seconds.

Recently I have added the atd start / stop lines to the /etc/apm/scripts.d/hwclock script as suggested elsewhere here in the forum.
Since then, I have that occasional resume problem and have to reset the unit sometimes.

Now, removing these lines again, I have no problems at all anymore (also no clock drift etc.).

This is now my hwclock script now looks like (stripped all but the important suspend and resume parts):

Code: [Select]
suspend() {
#  /etc/rc.d/init.d/atd stop 2>/dev/null >/dev/null
  hwclock --systohc
  return 0
}

resume() {
#  /etc/rc.d/init.d/atd start 2>/dev/null >/dev/null
  hwclock --hctosys
  return 0
}

When leaving X, I see many of these error messages about non-accessable hw clock. This is  probably caused by the hwclock calls in this script, which cannot access the hw clock because atd is running.
So my assumption is, that even the hwclock calls in this script are unnecessary (hence the entire hwclock script is unnecessary)

However, there remains the question why it is there...
Someone must have had an idea why he wrote it.

However, with the current state I have ZERO problems with clock or resume/suspend...

Any ideas?

daniel
SL-C3200 with weeXpc, based on pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3
HP 200LX with MS-DOS 5.0

mikekostousov

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 07:19:05 pm »
Hmm... Home/Power doesn't work completely...
I have C1000 with pdaXrom r121. I am not so familiar with pdaXrom (I used cacko).. Can some body explain, whats happens that Zaurus cannot resume after suspend? It is so sadly, that it cannot turn on just by one press to power button..  Some times I need to restart... And it is more worse, because I need just to take a look in notes, or mail... Nothing more..

T3_slider

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 11:32:56 pm »
Hmm... Home/Power doesn't work completely...
I have C1000 with pdaXrom r121. I am not so familiar with pdaXrom (I used cacko).. Can some body explain, whats happens that Zaurus cannot resume after suspend? It is so sadly, that it cannot turn on just by one press to power button..  Some times I need to restart... And it is more worse, because I need just to take a look in notes, or mail... Nothing more..
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155354\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Did you read the previous posts? Try turning off the Z by holding the power button for about 0.75 seconds and releasing (this should suspend the Z properly every time). To turn on the Z, do NOT use the power button (which you are probably used to using). Instead, use the Home button (press and release -- just a normal button press).

If this doesn't work, try to always suspend the Z through the Suspend script included (In Matchbox/Openbox, click on the X to open the menu and click Suspend at the bottom of the menu). Then wake the Z up with the Home button as described above.

If this doesn't work, just post again saying so -- but it should work (The power button to suspend/Home button to resume works 100% of the time for my C3200 running beta3. Also, allowing the Z to suspend automatically after inactivity will still resume upon using the Home button).
Conics SL-C3200 running pdaXrom beta3 and XFCE with a Planex WiFi CF card.

Slackware rules!