Author Topic: News About Moderators, Admins And Registration Validation.  (Read 14299 times)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
News About Moderators, Admins And Registration Validation.
« on: October 01, 2016, 12:01:23 pm »
Hello Everyone,
It's been a long time. we're all older and greyer I'm sure.

I appointed a new moderator today, thanks Varti for being volunteered.

I also amended the sign-up/validation process to hopefully make it easier for someone to become a member. Even the validation forums had become full of spam. Varti kindly cleaned a lot of it out, I only did the first four pages, Varti did the other 20-ish!

I'd like some other active members to volunteer to be moderators too. And if people can second their appointment, promote someone to be an admin as well.

One problem we have is that there doesn't appear to be anyone with a shell account on the server, or ftp access to remove some of the dodgy files which have been put onto the server when security was breached. I am hoping we can get that and make things better.

I'll try and spin another whole forum archive using httrack and post a squashfs archive with namazu free text DB like I once did long ago.

Best wishes,
Paul
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 07:57:46 am by speculatrix »
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 01:20:14 pm »
I had a brief exchange of messages with offroadgeek and he seemed amenable to giving someone the ftp access needed.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 04:03:25 am »
Quote from: speculatrix
Hello Everyone,
It's been a long time. we're all older and greyer I'm sure.
Indeed... I have a family now, and less and less free time, I sometimes miss the days when I had whole weekends free for my hobbies...

I appointed a new moderator today, thanks [https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showuser=21713 varti] for being volunteered.

I also amended the sign-up/validation process to hopefully make it easier for someone to become a member. Even the validation forums had become full of spam. Varti kindly cleaned a lot of it out, I only did the first four pages, Varti did the other 20-ish!

I'd like some other active members to volunteer to be moderators too. And if people can second their appointment, promote someone to be an admin as well.
Thank you for appointing me, I like to help here whenever possible.

One problem we have is that there doesn't appear to be anyone with a shell account on the server, or ftp access to remove some of the dodgy files which have been put onto the server when security was breached. I am hoping we can get that and make things better.
(...)
I had a brief exchange of messages with offroadgeek and he seemed amenable to giving someone the ftp access needed.
That's great to hear!

I'll try and spin another whole forum archive using httrack and post a squashfs archive with namazu free text DB like I once did long ago.
Please do it, we should store ASAP all the posts here so that nothing would get lost. The best thing would be to have both a public httrack dump, which can be mirrored by anyone, and private copies of the filesystem, to be stored by one or more admins.

Since you have managed to get in touch with offroad, would you please ask him if he'd continue to cover the expenses of the oesf.org domain? The domain expires next month, on 4th November. BTW I remember his post where he mentioned that he wanted to switch from Dreamhost to GoDaddy.

Varthall
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 08:34:09 am »
In the absence of any comments from offroadgeek about appointing another admin, and after a private commendation for Varti, I have promoted him to an admin.

I am still hoping to hear back from @offroadgeek and @DZ about shell access, offroadgeek did initially reply.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 09:01:44 am »
Quote from: speculatrix
In the absence of any comments from offroadgeek about appointing another admin, and after a private commendation for Varti, I have promoted him to an admin.
What can I say... thank you and thanks for your confidence!

I am still hoping to hear back from @offroadgeek and @DZ about shell access, offroadgeek did initially reply.
I can send you DZ's contact on Google, though as I understood offroad is the only admin having ibiblio's shell access, I don't know how much he could help.

Varthall
and many other Zauruses!

zaurusrex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 01:24:17 am »
Wow! Glad to see everyone here again.

Thank you to all who made this happen!

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 05:39:55 am »
Quote from: zaurusrex
Wow! Glad to see everyone here again.

Thank you to all who made this happen!
Hi and welcome back!

Varti
and many other Zauruses!