Author Topic: Gemian repository (or updated image) for Gemini?  (Read 3066 times)

ehasbrouck

• View Profile
    • The Practical Nomad
Gemian repository (or updated image) for Gemini?
« on: April 20, 2022, 07:36:28 pm »
I have a version of Linux updated from the version in the image installed using the Planetcom flash tool for a dual-boot Gemini.

It looks like Planetcom has released a much newer Linux image for the Cosmo (based on Gemian?), but not for the Gemini.

I hoped to get those updates for my Gemini from within Linux, but when I try to update using Synaptic, I get the error:

"The repository 'http://gemian.thinkglobablly.org/stretch/ stretch Release' does not have a release file."

Does anyone know how to correct this, or a workaround to get all of the Gemian updates onto a Gemini? (Another repository or changes to repository settings? An updated image to flash? A "howto" for manual updates from the Planetcom image?)

I'm also still waiting for an updated Android image form Planetcom for the Gemini -- or, better, a working LineageOS for the Gemini. But it seems like Planetcom may have abandoned the Gemini.

Many thanks to Adam Boardman and everyone else who has volunteered to help make our Planetcom devices more useful!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 07:51:54 pm by ehasbrouck »
current devices: Gemini PDA / Panasonic Let’s Note CF-RZ6
former devices: Psion netBook, 5mx, Revo Plus / Panasonic Let’s Note CF-J10, CF-R7 /  Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 / Asus Eee PC 901 / Gateway 2000 Handbook 486

Eric BF

• View Profile
Re: Gemian repository (or updated image) for Gemini?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 08:18:47 am »
My impression is that Planet Computer have indeed abandoned the Gemini, for both Android and Linux operating systems.

I bought my Gemini to be a little palmtop computer running Linux and used it happily daily as such until last year. Eventually, however, the lack of any updates has meant that I can no longer use it.

I am not one to upgrade constantly if my system is working but I did eventually have to upgrade (and couldn't) because of external conditions: needed to install a package (davmail) that is not available for the version of Debian Linux Gemini provided.
Gemini 4G Debian
OpenPandora with Debian

LittleHouse75

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 09:38:16 am »
That’s a bummer, as the Gemini PDA is still being sold and advertised as Linux installable:
https://store.planetcom.co.uk/products/gemini-pda-1

(At 400 pounds in 2022 no less)

idc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 05:36:48 pm »
Just wanted to say that Sailfish (which is a version of Linux, though not Debian based) is still being supported. I think it works well.

gemini_user_j

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 11:59:09 am »
My impression is that Planet Computer have indeed abandoned the Gemini, for both Android and Linux operating systems.

I have the same impression and installed sailfish as it gets updates.
unfortunately the linux command line tools can be troublesome to get installed especially if requiring dependencies.
Sailfish does not officialy support android on this model, and wayland requires more tinkering than I am comfortable with.
The HDMI dongle from planet doesnt work as it did on android 8, and neither does the fm radio.
I havent tried puting a sim card in, so notsure about phone capabilities.

If the newer linux version was supporting gemini, I would give it a try for sure.
Gemini PDA x27